Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1 View Post
There is a movie about this.
Diary of a Tired Black Man - The Movie

I have very little contact with the African American community so I have no idea if this is just hyperbole for laughs or is this really the way it is. I have to say though, the few African American women I have come across have been pretty cute/nice. It's really hard for me to imagine real women acting the way shown in the movie.
Oh you have no idea ...

All I can say is welcome to our world...lol

I saw the movie and it was really long and drawn out but accurate in some regards.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
To the OP: If he has stereotypical views of black women, then you should explore what his views are on white woman. You may just hear something you're not prepared for. Sad thing is, this person sounds like a nice guy (well, from what little you described of him). So that makes it worse when it comes to his prejudices. He doesn't see anything wrong with his thought process.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Oh you have no idea ...

All I can say is welcome to our world...lol

I saw the movie and it was really long and drawn out but accurate in some regards.
Oh please. If this is your experience then you're hanging out with the wrong people.That's YOUR world, not "ours".

Last edited by luckynumber4; 02-22-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissyIII View Post
I have recently been hanging out with some friends who introduced me to a newly single African American male friend of theirs (I am white). I have hung out with the group of them a lot recently and I think he is beginning to like me. (Asked me for my number, talk several times a week, whenever the group goes out he always wants to know if I am coming). I have never dated out of my race and I am finding him attractive. So for now I am just seeing where this takes me. Keeping things casual.

The other night at happy hour he revealed to me that he has only had one relationship (6 years) and it was with a white girl. He then went on a rant about how he "will only date/is only attracted to white girls and he stays clear of black girls because they are way too much drama:"eek:.

Just wondering if this is a common idea young African American males have? I mean obviously not everyone feels this way (I know I certainly don't). The comment was off-putting.
Oh goody, another "Black men hate Black women" thread.

Here's a little insight for you. Take it as a red flag if a Black man starts saying things like...

He doesn't date Black women at all
All Black women are crazy
All Black women are drama
All Black women are (fill-in-the-blank)

...because chances are that this same Black man has some not-so-nice stereotypes and generalizations about White (or non-Black) women as well.

***Public Service Announcement***

Black American men: It is not necessary to demonize Black women in order to justify your preference for White (or non-Black) women. Just date/have a relationship with/marry whomever your heart desires...its OK. However, when the character assassination of Black women becomes a part of your "pick-up line" then it is time to really examine your own issues of self hatred. The Black man who hates Black women is inadvertently hating his Black mother, Black grandmother, Black aunties, Black sisters, Black cousins....and ultimately eventually his own Black daughters.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Here's a little insight for you. Take it as a red flag if a Black man starts saying things like...

...because chances are that this same Black man has some not-so-nice stereotypes and generalizations about White (or non-Black) women as well.

Black American men: It is not necessary to demonize Black women in order to justify your preference for White (or non-Black) women. Just date/have a relationship with/marry whomever your heart desires...its OK. However, when the character assassination of Black women becomes a part of your "pick-up line" then it is time to really examine your own issues of self hatred. The Black man who hates Black women is inadvertently hating his Black mother, Black grandmother, Black aunties, Black sisters, Black cousins....and ultimately eventually his own Black daughters.
I remember once, years ago back in NYC, I had met this really cute white guy and we started talking. Well, one of the very first things he said to me was "Why do you like white guys?"

I was literally tongue tied after that and basically told him that I gave him my number not because he was WHITE, but because I was PHYSICALLY ATTRACTED to him and his race was secondary.

He turned me off and I didn't return his calls after that and I never, ever again gave a white dude (from NYC) the time of day, because I knew it was a "location" problem. I don't have time for "jungle bunny" fantasies.

Thankfully, here in California, no white guy has said anything remotely this stupid to me. I was also not the first black woman they dated which is a great relief.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM

65 posts, read 144,703 times
Quote:

Agree. I have never ever heard White men en masse (even with those with hardcore Asian fetishes) demonize their women like Black men do. And I have seen white guys taking through hell wiht white women. It is truly unique among Black men.

What is so tiresome about this standard trope is that Black men who indulge in these justifications, seem to forget that there are a lot of White and non-Black people, that are making the same tired generalization about the assumed savagery of Black men. The disconnect is amazing. They expect everybody to agree with them about how awful Black women are--and they usually get a wave of converts to agree with their baseless assertions, but they are literally shocked when they are discriminated against by non-Black people. Somehow they are supposed to be different and should not be clumped in with the rest of the degenerates.

To the OP: he is racist who thinks he can compartmentalizes his disgust for Black woman makes him special and that none of the racial fallout will ever hit him. If he or any other Black man in America wants to date a non-Black woman--have at it. If you marry a non-Black woman--all's well. But it is completely unnecessary, loathsome and self hating to drag Black women threw the mud. Most races find the very thought of Black woman an object of scorn. What makes you think demolishing Black women will make you any better in their eyes.

And truly this thread should be locked. These typees of threads are done to death and nothing constructive ever comes out of it except more vile, disgusting assumptions about Black women.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoon View Post
Agree. I have never ever heard White men en masse (even with those with hardcore Asian fetishes) demonize their women like Black men do. And I have seen white guys taking through hell wiht white women. It is truly unique among Black men.

What is so tiresome about this standard trope is that Black men who indulge in these justifications, seem to forget that there are a lot of White and non-Black people, that are making the same tired generalization about the assumed savagery of Black men. The disconnect is amazing. They expect everybody to agree with them about how awful Black women are--and they usually get a wave of converts to agree with their baseless assertions, but they are literally shocked when they are discriminated against by non-Black people. Somehow they are supposed to be different and should not be clumped in with the rest of the degenerates.

To the OP: he is racist who thinks he can compartmentalizes his disgust for Black woman makes him special and that none of the racial fallout will ever hit him. If he or any other Black man in America wants to date a non-Black woman--have at it. If you marry a non-Black woman--all's well. But it is completely unnecessary, loathsome and self hating to drag Black women threw the mud. Most races find the very thought of Black woman an object of scorn. What makes you think demolishing Black women will make you any better in their eyes.

And truly this thread should be locked. These typees of threads are done to death and nothing constructive ever comes out of it except more vile, disgusting assumptions about Black women.
Could not have said better myself. In my eyes races doesn't play a role in how someone chooses to behave. So the guy blaming is not wanting to date black women bc of some perceived attitude problem is HIS problem. He's trying to justify his behavior when there isn't a need to. He also probably feels that by saying what he says about black women, it'll make him look more favorable in the eyes of the non-black woman he is trying to date.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1 View Post
There is a movie about this.
Diary of a Tired Black Man - The Movie

I have very little contact with the African American community so I have no idea if this is just hyperbole for laughs or is this really the way it is. I have to say though, the few African American women I have come across have been pretty cute/nice. It's really hard for me to imagine real women acting the way shown in the movie.

I loved that movie. To me it wasn't about race of the people so much as it was about relationships in general. Women/men are VERY capable of acting excatly like that.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissyIII View Post
I have recently been hanging out with some friends who introduced me to a newly single African American male friend of theirs (I am white). I have hung out with the group of them a lot recently and I think he is beginning to like me. (Asked me for my number, talk several times a week, whenever the group goes out he always wants to know if I am coming). I have never dated out of my race and I am finding him attractive. So for now I am just seeing where this takes me. Keeping things casual.

The other night at happy hour he revealed to me that he has only had one relationship (6 years) and it was with a white girl. He then went on a rant about how he "will only date/is only attracted to white girls and he stays clear of black girls because they are way too much drama:"eek:.

Just wondering if this is a common idea young African American males have? I mean obviously not everyone feels this way (I know I certainly don't). The comment was off-putting.
Lot of AA Girls are drama. There is usually always an issue with them.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:

I have to have a quick laugh at this considering quite a few of the very same black women in this thread were in other threads with more pages than the bible vilifying black men as a just means to date interracially.

Oh man...I can't believe the audacity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships