Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,894 times

Advertisements

I have recently been hanging out with some friends who introduced me to a newly single African American male friend of theirs (I am white). I have hung out with the group of them a lot recently and I think he is beginning to like me. (Asked me for my number, talk several times a week, whenever the group goes out he always wants to know if I am coming). I have never dated out of my race and I am finding him attractive. So for now I am just seeing where this takes me. Keeping things casual.

The other night at happy hour he revealed to me that he has only had one relationship (6 years) and it was with a white girl. He then went on a rant about how he "will only date/is only attracted to white girls and he stays clear of black girls because they are way too much drama:"eek:.

Just wondering if this is a common idea young African American males have? I mean obviously not everyone feels this way (I know I certainly don't). The comment was off-putting.

Last edited by krissyIII; 02-22-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,272,113 times
I just moved from Phoenix to St. Louis. I'm a teacher and am currently teaching an ACT Prep class at a local high school. The school I taught at in Phoenix was 80% white. The school I teach at in STL is 98% black. The biggest difference I have noticed is the behavior of the black girls. There is almost a "macho" attitude from many of them. Most of them are very loud, and aggressive. The so-called "lady like" behavior that some men expect from girls is far less prevalent in the African-American community from what I've seen. So I can see an African-American man that goes out with a white girl, especially one that is more passive, would compare that to what he was used to seeing from black girls and decide to stay that course.

Now I will say this is probably more prevalent in inner-cities and such. If you look at black girls that live in middle-class suburbs, I'm sure they would have a different attitude and would behave differently.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,966,238 times
W'oh boy

Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM

228 posts, read 420,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
W'oh boy
OH my God, I laughed so hard when I saw this.

I have to admit, I thought "AA" meant "Alcoholics Anonymous" when I came in here...

I'm with you, Whyte Bird.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,996,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissyIII View Post
I have recently been hanging out with some friends who introduced me to a newly single African American male friend of theirs (I am white). I have hung out with the group of them a lot recently and I think he is beginning to like me. (Asked me for my number, talk several times a week, whenever the group goes out he always wants to know if I am coming). I have never dated out of my race and I am finding him attractive. So for now I am just seeing where this takes me. Keeping things casual.

The other night at happy hour he revealed to me that he has only had one relationship (6 years) and it was with a white girl. He then went on a rant about how he "will only date/is only attracted to white girls and he stays clear of black girls because they are way too much drama:"eek:.

Just wondering if this is a common idea young African American males have? I mean obviously not everyone feels this way (I know I certainly don't). The comment was off-putting.
Be careful with men like these who "generalize".

He's attracted to white women, because that's his PREFERENCE and he feels guilty about it, so he's making up all this other nonsense.

Just like white men believe that Asian women are "docile" little obedient women they see in the movies.

I'm sure you could ask any white dude on the street if he's had "drama" with white girls and you'll get an overwhelming YES, but yet you won't hear him say how he's only going to deal with "insert race/culture" here, because they're "better". It's stupid.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,987,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I just moved from Phoenix to St. Louis. I'm a teacher and am currently teaching an ACT Prep class at a local high school. The school I taught at in Phoenix was 80% white. The school I teach at in STL is 98% black. The biggest difference I have noticed is the behavior of the black girls. There is almost a "macho" attitude from many of them. Most of them are very loud, and aggressive. The so-called "lady like" behavior that some men expect from girls is far less prevalent in the African-American community from what I've seen. So I can see an African-American man that goes out with a white girl, especially one that is more passive, would compare that to what he was used to seeing from black girls and decide to stay that course.

Now I will say this is probably more prevalent in inner-cities and such. If you look at black girls that live in middle-class suburbs, I'm sure they would have a different attitude and would behave differently.
Not defending him, but you'd be suprised at how many similarities there are.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,996,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Not defending him, but you'd be suprised at how many similarities there are.
Hmmmm, interesting.

Could you elaborate more please.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,987,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Hmmmm, interesting.

Could you elaborate more please.
No thank you

Just speaking from experience.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,364,003 times
Couldn't go a whole week without a good black-girl/black-dating bashing thread.

*sigh*

To the OP, it should make you uncomfortable to hear from anyone that they are generalization and bash an entire group of women who belongs to their own racial background based on a subset of experiences. I've had bad experiences too with black men but never would I say I'd never date them again.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,346,241 times
I had to do it you guys....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.