U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 PM

3,185 posts, read 11,050,563 times

Advertisements

I am in my early 30s...a guy.

I have noticed a TON of women I have known in the past decade (early 20s to early 30s is prime dating, engagement, marrige time) do this habit, and it annoys the heck out of me.

When they are dating a guy, he is "John", "Rick", "Phil", "Andy", "Jer", etc., etc., etc.

However, seemingly from the second they get engaged, the names change to the full given name that no one except maybe the guy's parents call him (including her herself)...the name - even after she's been calling him his short name for years - instantly turns into "Jonathan", "Richard", "Philip", "Andrew", "Jeremiah", etc. It bugs the heck out of me!!

And even if she is a Jenny or a Beth, when she refers to herself AND her spouse, then she turns into a Jennifer or an Elizabeth.

Ladies...you know you do this (or if you do not, you know many ladies that do)...WHY, WHY, WHY do women do this!?

Men...if your fiance/wife did/does this, why did she do it, and does it bug you (honestly?).

My wife seems almost to be in the minority with this, as she never once called me by my "full" name after engagement/marriage, except if she is screwing around with me.

I would love to hear the reasons behind why this happens so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM

3,402 posts, read 11,980,929 times
...tell us how you really feel, lol.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:07 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,540,895 times
Honestly, I don't know anyone who's done that. I've seen or heard them call their other halves worse names, then their full names....

Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,804,910 times
Never in my life heard anyone I know do that

I only refer to my husband by his full name when he's in trouble

Old 09-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Status: "Just one man's opinion, I could be wrong." (set 24 days ago)

1,617 posts, read 2,016,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post

Me neither.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
I have heard a couple of women do that and have wondered why as well. A Jim/James and a Bill/William come to mind. Is it like asserting some sort of special ownership?

Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 PM

430 posts, read 1,131,235 times
Never heard of such a thing....I went from the more formal full first name to Dear, Sweetheart and Honey or "hey you" when I was being ignored!!

O.Nana

Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 PM

25,347 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Because we're mean and horrible! Just kidding...I personally don't do this. First of all, I basically never, ever call my husband by a real name. I think if I tried to say, "Dave, could we..." (etc. etc.) it would stumble in my mouth. I call him "honey". He calls me "honey" too.

I don't ever call him David. That would be even weirder.

My sister generally refers to her significant others and, when she was married, to her husband by the full name, but she did that while dating, too. Her husband was always "Robert". Nobody else called him "Robert," LOL.

I'm not sure about the phenomena you're talking about...but I'm sure you must have seen it although I've never seen it myself. There must be some reason. I don't know. Maybe because women feel more "grown up" now that they're married and are therefore using the "grown up" version of the name? I don't know.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:43 PM

3,185 posts, read 11,050,563 times
Hmmm...it is odd...it seems few here have even heard about that much less do it or know those who do, maybe it is a regional thing?? Interesting, as I have talked to many others who have observed the same thing as I quite commonly (so I know I am not just out of my mind on this! )...

OK, JerZ, you stated: "Her husband was always "Robert". Nobody else called him "Robert," LOL." Here is a start, although I admit I am grasping at straws. Do you know why she would call him by his full, proper name when no one else did?

I am not really "angry" about this......just kind of a major pet peeve and I heard it three times this AM and had to do a Friday AM vent!!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:54 PM

615 posts, read 766,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
Same here. That's the first I ever heard that one before.

I just saw the title of this thread and had to see what it was about this time that women do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships