Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM

172 posts, read 393,083 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have been together for the past three months. I am 50 and he is 55. We treat each other wonderfully and have a loving and happy relationship. The problem is that he has a 24 year-old daughter whom he says has issues, needs therapy, and feels and acts as though he owes her something. She has a four year-old son by a loser guy who beat her, sells drugs, and is in and out of prison. The little boy (whom I met) is extremely well behaved and well mannered, which seems to be a result of my boyfriend's influence rather that the daughter...who often leaves the boy with her dad while she goes out and does who knows what. My boyfriend loves his grandson; however, his daughter uses the child to manipulate him into getting her way. She once got mad at him for not getting her way and called the police on him. Frustrated with her behavior, he often complains about her, but does nothing to change their dysfunctional relationship (he says that he feels guilty because of the divorce). He told me that the daughter (who resented the fact that her parents got divorced a few years ago) has tried to sabatoge his romantic relationships in the past by leaving the grandson with him to babysit, and not coming home at night, which resulted in him having to cancel scheduled dates. He also said the she has never liked any of the women that he's dated in the past. Her mom, who hasn't seen her daughter or her grandson in about four years, has since remarried lives on the other side of the country.

Unless he asks for my advice, I keep my mouth shut about their relationship. I have spoken to the daughter on the phone once (she was polite but standoffish), but have not yet met her. At some point, my boyfriend wants me to meet her, but based upon everything that he's told me about her, I would rather not. Since the daughter and her son have moved back in with him (she works part-time and goes to school in the evenings), I have not gone to his house (my choice). Instead, he comes and spends the weekend with me at my home. We sometimes go hiking, biking, or take little trips and have a great time laughing and talking together--which I love.

My question: Since this guy treats me like gold, and I am happy with the relationship (so is he), would it be selfish of me to choose not to meet the daughter? We both have been married before and have no desire to marry or live together. Although I have no children of my own, I am around them daily due to being a special education teacher. I live a peaceful, drama, free life, and would like to keep it that way My concern is that if she called the police on her own father, how do I know that she wouldn't do the same to me?? I have a teaching credential and would not want to jeopardize my livelihood over a jealous daughter. She knows very little about me, and I would like to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,774,391 times
Do not meet her, do not go to the house. Ever. Protect that teaching credential. I hope he understands about it.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,570,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Do not meet her, do not go to the house. Ever. Protect that teaching credential. I hope he understands about it.
This.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 PM

811 posts, read 732,018 times
Yeah, if you don't plan on marrying him or living with him, there is really no need to meet her, especially if you think she could cause problems for you.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,530,444 times
Stay away from that daughter. She's nothing but trouble.

Confide your fears to your boyfriend. Since he knows his daughter has problems, he should understand your desire to protect your career from her. I would insist that he not tell her anything about me--especially my surname, address, or profession.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
My boyfriend and I have been together for the past three months. I am 50 and he is 55. We treat each other wonderfully and have a loving and happy relationship. The problem is that he has a 24 year-old daughter whom he says has issues, needs therapy, and feels and acts as though he owes her something. She has a four year-old son by a loser guy who beat her, sells drugs, and is in and out of prison. The little boy (whom I met) is extremely well behaved and well mannered, which seems to be a result of my boyfriend's influence rather that the daughter...who often leaves the boy with her dad while she goes out and does who knows what. My boyfriend loves his grandson; however, his daughter uses the child to manipulate him into getting her way. She once got mad at him for not getting her way and called the police on him. Frustrated with her behavior, he often complains about her, but does nothing to change their dysfunctional relationship (he says that he feels guilty because of the divorce). He told me that the daughter (who resented the fact that her parents got divorced a few years ago) has tried to sabatoge his romantic relationships in the past by leaving the grandson with him to babysit, and not coming home at night, which resulted in him having to cancel scheduled dates. He also said the she has never liked any of the women that he's dated in the past. Her mom, who hasn't seen her daughter or her grandson in about four years, has since remarried lives on the other side of the country.

Unless he asks for my advice, I keep my mouth shut about their relationship. I have spoken to the daughter on the phone once (she was polite but standoffish), but have not yet met her. At some point, my boyfriend wants me to meet her, but based upon everything that he's told me about her, I would rather not. Since the daughter and her son have moved back in with him (she works part-time and goes to school in the evenings), I have not gone to his house (my choice). Instead, he comes and spends the weekend with me at my home. We sometimes go hiking, biking, or take little trips and have a great time laughing and talking together--which I love.

My question: Since this guy treats me like gold, and I am happy with the relationship (so is he), would it be selfish of me to choose not to meet the daughter? We both have been married before and have no desire to marry or live together. Although I have no children of my own, I am around them daily due to being a special education teacher. I live a peaceful, drama, free life, and would like to keep it that way My concern is that if she called the police on her own father, how do I know that she wouldn't do the same to me?? I have a teaching credential and would not want to jeopardize my livelihood over a jealous daughter. She knows very little about me, and I would like to keep it that way.

He created this monster, but you don't have to let her into your life.

Continue to enjoy his company and spending time at your place only.

You don't need the drama.

However, if your status with him changes to something more serious you are going to have a more difficult time keeping that separation, so good luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,770,750 times
Always be busy when she's around. I wouldn't meet her, she sounds like a piece of work.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,079,120 times
I'd be hesitant to stick around if his 24yo can and often does exert that kind of control over him. Great that he's there for the grandson but he helped to create the mess with his daughter. I'm sure he's a great boyfriend but I'd be hesitant to assign all or most of the boy's good behavior to grandpa when said daughter is a "mess." Anyhow, two sides to every story.....just my two cents.

You may never live with or marry this guy but plan a 2-week vacation with him. Does daughter get jealous and do something to mess up the plans, like calling the police on her dad right before he leaves for the airport? Just an example.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but IMO, the only way to stay drama free is to be around those who are the same. Your boyfriend isn't drama free and he's enabling some of her behavior. What's more of a concern is all he does is complain but takes no action. He can't change her but he can change himself and the way he relates to her. Feeling guilty will do him no good....it hasn't yet and isn't going to later. So what is he getting out of feeling guilty? It would be hard to say but it sounds like the daughter is getting plenty of free babysitting out of the deal at the intended expense of his dating life.

Doesn't sound like her mom feels guilty at all? Why has she been MIA for 4 years?

I do agree you should protect your livelihood and not meet her, as long as your relationship with her dad remains as it is anyway.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM

11,325 posts, read 9,211,407 times
I find it puzzling that he doesn't seem embarrassed by his daughter's behavior.

I'd stay clear of her. As long as you are happy with your new BF I don't see any reason to meet anyone else in his family. If he insists that you meet his daughter you may want to re-evaluate.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,516,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
My boyfriend and I have been together for the past three months. I am 50 and he is 55. We treat each other wonderfully and have a loving and happy relationship. The problem is that he has a 24 year-old daughter whom he says has issues, needs therapy, and feels and acts as though he owes her something. She has a four year-old son by a loser guy who beat her, sells drugs, and is in and out of prison. The little boy (whom I met) is extremely well behaved and well mannered, which seems to be a result of my boyfriend's influence rather that the daughter...who often leaves the boy with her dad while she goes out and does who knows what.
I did not have to read too far to spot that she is a drug addict. I would have a serious talk with the boyfriend about your fears. He is possibly only there to give her a life raft to not kill herself or the child.

I am sure the school system is aware of accusations from drug addicts. The school is probably had their share of problems with her as a mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships