Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Bolded: What does that mean?
It means that in life, timing is everything. Right now is just not our OP's time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times
But a single guy will labelled as Gay not a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
When she said "I don't have kids and I
don't want to be with you" that's when you should have said "the feeling is mutual".

She will only perceive it how she intented it towards you and then that is on HER. If she intended it as an insult then you are giving it right back to her in her own words.

As for married folks with children not getting picked on...have you ever been married with children?

I can bet you I get just as many comments on our choice to have a large-ish family (4 kids). I've heard it all:

"don't you know how those babies are made?"
"don't you know what birth control is?"
"are they all yours?"
"do they all have the same dad"?
"were you trying to have a (fill in the sport) team?"
"better you than me"
"you are either crazy or a saint"
"was he/she an accident?"
"were they all planned?"
We also get countless comments on collecting welfare services and how their tax dollars are feeding my kids (which is not the case...we can afford to live very comfortably)

.....and on and on and on. Perfect strangers have asked or said these things to me thinking it is their business.

What it boils down to, is that some people are nosey and they think they are being clever. They think they are the first one to think of their snarky comments and really, it's just ignorance. It comes in all shapes and sizes and doesn't discriminate.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post
You are giving others too much power over your esteem
and self-worth.

The solution is to simply stop placing so much importance
on what everyone else thinks and get back to being your
own man.
At work, you have to be careful.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
At work, you have to be careful.
And discrete.

Just be more careful not to give these clods more ammo to use against you in the future.

Speak in generalities about your life, not specifics.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Eh they can think all they want. People judge me all the time at work. And I just think they are bored with their own life so they have to worry about mine.
Life happens as you go.
You are a woman! You can get away with lot of things though.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
No one is qualified to judge you. No one.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You contradict yourself

First of all, you admit to answering these rude people's prying questions, then you say, "I am also a very private person and I don't discuss my private life with just anyone specially co-workers"

Methinks you aren't nearly as private as you SHOULD be.

Don't let people pressure you into answering questions you don't want to answer. Try to remember to give generalized answers if you feel you have to say anything at all.
I answered what was asked though just not in details. How can I politely tell them no and end the conversation?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I meant if someone keeps asking about whether you want kids and you say no and then they tease you, that's when you could joke back and say, "Well, you might be the one to change my mind (about having kids)."

Even if it's not true. It just might throw her and shut her up.
Yes, I can joke around but not at work.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
I answered what was asked though just not in details. How can I politely tell them no and end the conversation?
Dear Abby used to advise that you turn the question back on them.

Instead of giving them any kind of answer you say, "why would you ask me such a personal question?"

Or just have a one line sentence ready that you repeat for all intrusive questions - I don't discuss my personal life at work.

Dude, you're way past the age when other people should be allowed to get away with intimidating you!

The more comfortable and confident you are in your own skin, the less chance people will think they can walk all over you like this.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Bolded: What does that mean?
It means he found the girl at age 42.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships