U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:02 AM

3,628 posts, read 6,758,426 times

Advertisements

Yep touching means nothing, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 AM

4,008 posts, read 2,649,655 times
erm sorry I'm a 46 year old woman and I can tell you, this lady knows exactly what she's doing.

She's begging for it!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,495,964 times
Partner could be man or woman, if she said a HE then it is a HE.

She may fancy you, she is only human after all, we all have red blood going through our veins!

She touches you so she likes you...as a friend???? - maybe more ???

Ask her about her partner, what does he do? How does she speak about him? Does she light up when she talks about him?

A bit of further exploration - via info about her partner would help. If she likes YOU specifically, she will not want to talk about her partner much if at all. But if she is in love with her partner then she will talk a lot about him.

Touching your arm.....could just be friendly gesture, some people are touchy feely.

Have you got any chemistry going on? Do you catch her looking at you and holding your gaze? How old are you? If this woman is a lot older than you, then that may well put her off trying to take things further with you. Also, if she is still teaching you then it would be totally unprofessional for her to take advantage of her role and conduct any intimate relationship with her student.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM

6,408 posts, read 5,586,693 times
I would say that her mention of having a partner is the big sign here. She obviously has a like and interest in you, but has also pointed out that she is not available. So the interest does not seem to be romantic to me.

Touching by itself is not a huge sign. It can be, in combination of others. Here, I think it is a sign she likes you as a friend.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,017,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
So, I don't know. I'm just wondering 2 things.

-Why does she refer to her man as a partner? (assuming her partner is a male)

-What to make of the touching?
My guess is she doesn't want to refer to her male partner as a boyfriend, since that term seems juvenile, especially when a 45 year old professor is talking to her teenage student. Or she is a female and she does not want to disclose it.

Nothing is ever black and white - she wants to get in your pants vs. she only touches you as a friendly/vibing gesture. So what to make of it? I think physical contact ALONE cannot be an indicator of anything. If there were more signs then perhaps she was attracted to you, but in the context you've described, it seems she was using physical contact as a rapport device.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM

420 posts, read 434,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Please listen to my advice: leave it alone. I'm also a female Prof and countless times I have had male students in my office. I have touched them on the arm and laughed with them. It means NOTHING. Especially when she specifically mentioned her partner (which leads me to believe she's gay... straight women would invariably say "Boyfriend.")

The touching means nothing. She's not interested or she would have made that abundantly clear. Mentioning a "partner" means she is not interested.
Ha. One of my friends went to a professor back when I was in college and the professor mentioned doing something with his partner. My friend was like, 'you mean your tennis partner?' 'No.' Then he got it.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM

220 posts, read 285,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
How big of a sign is physical contact from a woman?

I graduated from my university a couple months ago. For the last 2 years, I had a professor, who I had a huge crush on. She liked me as well (as a student/friend). We always talked about life in her office hours. She helped me with the work a lot. Used me as a good example to other students. Poked fun of me to other students. Took an interest in learning about me and my family, letters of rec Etc etc.

Obviously, as she was my professor, I didn't make a move. She would also mention that although she was divorced (she's about 45), she has a partner. She almost never referred to the partner as he or she, but once I heard her say he.

Anyways, last week I went in to visit her. I have always heard that physical contact is a sign a woman is interested in you. Every joke I made, she would laugh hysterically, and put her hand on my hand or arm, and even leave it there for a bit.

So, I don't know. I'm just wondering 2 things.

-Why does she refer to her man as a partner? (assuming her partner is a male)

-What to make of the touching?
If it hasn't already been said, at 45, she probably feels more comfortable calling a Significant Other a "Partner" as oppose to a "Boyfriend".

As far as the touching, that could just be in her nature. Maybe she's that way with everyone when she laughs. I wouldn't make too much of it.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 AM

11,000 posts, read 7,204,830 times
I don't know... tell me some jokes.... if I feel like touching you across cyberspace, then you are really good with the jokes. If your jokes are boring and you said this woman was laughing hysterically, then yeah, she wants you.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM

607 posts, read 379,160 times
There was another student in the room and she didn't make any touching motions towards him. Also, I noticed her touching me increased since I graduated.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM

4,008 posts, read 2,649,655 times
Stop all this thinking and analysing and give it a nudge. Faint heart never won fair lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships