U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM

19,081 posts, read 12,407,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Is feminist supposed to be a good word or a bad word here?

I notice that though it often is supposed to have good connotations (eg. someone who supports equality), sometimes in some circles (such as on the forum), it has bad connotations (such as women who take advantage of men etc.).
For a good segment of men on this forum "woman-anything" holds a negative connotation. It's all apart of the obsession.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM

1,726 posts, read 981,406 times
Misandry is a very recently-coined term, so the definition is still somewhat fluid. For the most part, the word is defined as being the hatred of men---that is, a hatred which is based purely upon sexual demographics.

Many feminists refuse to accept the term as being legitimate; largely because they feel that anger, discrimination, and other negative attitudes directed towards males are justified based upon the historical dominance of men within culture. This may be a good way to extract a form of demographically-based revenge; however, it is a feeble way to pursue a truly equal and unbiased society.

It is not misogynistic or misandric to criticize an individual based upon that person's actions or words. Nor is it unfair to criticize a specific sociopolitical ideology (feminism or the men's rights movement). The malevolence comes into play when you malign an entire gender based upon the actions or words of an individual.

We have a lot of gender-based double standards in our culture. Some of them benefit men, at the expense of women. Others benefit women, at the expense of men. People who sincerely believe in gender equality will work to end both.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 4,922,512 times
What in the world does misandry have to do with feminism?

I'm a feminist (I guess, I believe in equality of women, equal rights, etc.) and I adore men.

Most women I know do.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM

5,067 posts, read 3,569,232 times
The word "Misandry" doesn't even exist in the spell check.

I type "Misogyny", there is no red underline. I type misandry, the red underline shows even though it's spelled correctly.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,242,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Misandry is a very recently-coined term, so the definition is still somewhat fluid. For the most part, the word is defined as being the hatred of men---that is, a hatred which is based purely upon sexual demographics.

Many feminists refuse to accept the term as being legitimate; largely because they feel that anger, discrimination, and other negative attitudes directed towards males are justified based upon the historical dominance of men within culture. This may be a good way to extract a form of demographically-based revenge; however, it is a feeble way to pursue a truly equal and unbiased society.

It is not misogynistic or misandric to criticize an individual based upon that person's actions or words. Nor is it unfair to criticize a specific sociopolitical ideology (feminism or the men's rights movement). The malevolence comes into play when you malign an entire gender based upon the actions or words of an individual.

We have a lot of gender-based double standards in our culture. Some of them benefit men, at the expense of women. Others benefit women, at the expense of men. People who sincerely believe in gender equality will work to end both.
Good post. I personally want to see an end to double standards, but a certain group, including self-titled 'feminists' prefer to deny, deny, deny or demonize others when they feel threatened...I think they are trying to protect something. People can be odious with their hypocrisy and corruption, other people sometimes truly are a pain in the rear to deal with.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post

Imo, if there is an issue with these terms it's that the men making use of them charge women as the culprit, when it's really other men beating the ever loving day lights out of other men (literally and figuratively). Men hurt men, and violently so. This is then coupled with personal rejection from desired women, women these men are obsessed with (it's the specific guy, not his gender), along with life's trials that we all must deal with, and it results in wildly directed cries of misandry. That's how it reads from where I sit.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,088,941 times
White Knights are some of the biggest proponents of misandry because they truly don't know better. In my experience the men in America who hold a hyper romanticized view of women and relationships are the biggest white knights that you'll come across. They don't have any real understand of social dynamics, for one they're quick to be indoctrinated by the media and women on "how to be a man".

Hyper feminized men are simply victims of their environment, whether it be a household headed by a single mother or just an area devoid of any masculinity. You can find a lot of these men in places where "PC" culture thrives (a huge percentage of the anglosphere).

Married men - This is a 50/50 case, it's not that married men don't know about Misandry; there are plenty of men in this category that have come to accept this as their personal reality. There are men trapped within state defined marriages where not only are their assets at stake but also their lives as being a father. Marriage is a one sided swindle and the former of those men in the 50/50 realize this after wasting so many years with their wife. The latter of these men who buy into marriage don't have enough experience with women to see it for the sham that it is, they go on believing in ideals of a system that worked for their grandparents but it holds no weight in the present.

Elite's in general don't care, they're just out to pimp the establishment and brag about their corruption in the open. You wake up everyday to see cheats, crooks and vile caricatures thriving in the world. Does this mean you have to imitate them to gain successful results? no, but learn their games/foundation and bend their rules to work in your favor.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,111,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
White Knights are some of the biggest proponents of misandry because they truly don't know better. In my experience the men in America who hold a hyper romanticized view of women and relationships are the biggest white knights that you'll come across. They don't have any real understand of social dynamics, for one they're quick to be indoctrinated by the media and women on "how to be a man".

Hyper feminized men are simply victims of their environment, whether it be a household headed by a single mother or just an area devoid of any masculinity. You can find a lot of these men in places where "PC" culture thrives (a huge percentage of the anglosphere).

Married men - This is a 50/50 case, it's not that married men don't know about Misandry; there are plenty of men in this category that have come to accept this as their personal reality. There are men trapped within state defined marriages where not only are their assets at stake but also their lives as being a father. Marriage is a one sided swindle and the former of those men in the 50/50 realize this after wasting so many years with their wife. The latter of these men who buy into marriage don't have enough experience with women to see it for the sham that it is, they go on believing in ideals of a system that worked for their grandparents but it holds no weight in the present.

Elite's in general don't care, they're just out to pimp the establishment and brag about their corruption in the open. You wake up everyday to see cheats, crooks and vile caricatures thriving in the world. Does this mean you have to imitate them to gain successful results? no, but learn their games/foundation and bend their rules to work in your favor.
Wow. A great assessment of the situation. I'm sure that you'll get some blah-blah-blah from those who cannot accept these general realities.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 PM

5,067 posts, read 3,569,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wow. A great assessment of the situation. I'm sure that you'll get some blah-blah-blah from those who cannot accept these general realities.
He's right on the money. Normal men are always the targets of these types of men, feminists, and typical women. So many of them are in denial.

If a normal man talks on this issue, he's assumed to be gay, single, living in his mother's basement, uneducated, etc.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
He's right on the money. Normal men are always the targets of these types of men, feminists, and typical women. So many of them are in denial.

If a normal man talks on this issue, he's assumed to be gay, single, living in his mother's basement, uneducated, etc.
I think it comes down to what kind of relationship do you have with the opposite gender. Is it positive, hold depth, make you a better person? If the answer is no all you will hear is bla bla. If the answer is yes are you even writing this stuff up in the first place? Probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships