U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM

2,431 posts, read 1,530,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Look up a YouTube video called men say no to valentines day, he has a strong point. Men basically have no say in relationships anymore.
Speak for yourself. I'm a man and have plenty of say in my relationship. I also chose the right girl

I don't really need to listen to other men complain about Valentine's Day. If they don't like it, find someone else who doesn't. If they only find girls who are into Valentine's Day, maybe they should consider making some concessions. My girlfriend's not into sports but she's willing to watch with me and I'm willing to watch some shows with her.

It's crappy that feminism is now equated to man-hating for many people when it's just about striving for equality with men.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM

12,765 posts, read 9,893,743 times
Quote:
It's crappy that feminism is now equated to man-hating for many people when it's just about striving for equality with men.
And, too, there's the idea from some of these guys that for women to succeed, men have to fail (and more, that women want men to fail,) which isn't the case. I can say "yay, women!" without having to say, "boo, men!" Equality is good for us all.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-29-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM

24,513 posts, read 25,486,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And, too, there's the idea from some of these guys that for women to succeed, men have to fail, which isn't the case. I can say "yay, women!" without having to say, "boo, men!" Equality is good for us all.
Well, the confusion comes from the Andrea Dworkins of the world, the ones who posit that all sex is rape and other loopy thinking. Every movement has the whack jobs and those had a knack for grabbing the microphone way out of proportion of their numbers.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,432,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And, too, there's the idea from some of these guys that for women to succeed, men have to fail, which isn't the case. I can say "yay, women!" without having to say, "boo, men!" Equality is good for us all.
eh.. sometimes yes, sometimes no. that's why the issue is controversial. some issues are definitely "zero sum."

Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 AM

1,853 posts, read 720,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'll make sure to tell my husband, I am sure he will be highly amused.
Okay, what's his education and income level? What's yours? For you date up or down when you dated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Those men that "have no say" are the very men that most women want nothing to do with.

Pretty easy to see the problem here.

It's not me, it's society basically deeming men worthless if they able to provide and be able to fit 90% of what she wants in a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What are you talking about? Get a grip on the reality of relationships and stop feeding into the BS.

These are the thoughts of someone who has nothing of importantance to think about or say.

If you, or someone you know, man or womens being bulldozed in a relationship, they've made a poor choice in partners. Plain and simple.

Valentines Day is only one day out of the year. If its important to your partner and keeps the relationship on smooth ground, it should be important to you as well.

If it really bothers you this much, find someome who feels the same way and partner with them. Really its not that difficult.
90 if women are the same, relationships is her ballgame not ours, we have little to say especially if we don't meet her requirements in a partner, unless your one of those guys who will end up jail due to bad choices with women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, this is really just a bunch of nonsensical baloney.

What's a normal man? Someone who sits around in his wife beaters watching ESPN every night?

Guys like the one of whom you speak are really kind of pathetic. They need this huge pseudo-philosophical framework to justify why they can't get laid. What they're really saying is, "Why can't I get to do precisely what I want when I want in the way I want it?" This is being a child, not a man.

Here's the deal. If you're a guy who is responsible for himself, takes good care of himself and his appearances, is considerate of others, behaves as if youre not the center of the universe, and has a backbone, you will have no problem finding women in life, whether you're a high-priced corporate attorney or a bricklayer. Because that means you're a man, not some whiny guy who needs to spin some fantasy archetypes out of thin air as some kind of lame rationalization for his inherent failure as a person.
You left out the word successful, responsible can also mean poor, nothing wrong with sports and a wife beater and as long as he's working what's the problem? Well a job just isn't a job to 99% of women. Your fantasy land crap and reality is. 2 different things, people just don't get bitter for no reason. It's multiple instances that cause it.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 AM

24,513 posts, read 25,486,019 times
Quote:
You left out the word successful, responsible can also mean poor, nothing wrong with sports and a wife beater and as long as he's working what's the problem? Well a job just isn't a job to 99% of women. Your fantasy land crap and reality is. 2 different things, people just don't get bitter for no reason. It's multiple instances that cause it.
Are you for real? People become bitter because the world hasn't lived up to their expectations. But if you dig down deeply enough the truth is that the expectations were so daft and unrealistic in the first place.

You sound really young, so let me spell matters out for you. People are unbelievably complex individuals. They do not fit neatly into categories or into theories of behavior. And the more you try to do so, the resistant they are to classification. So when I see someone like the OP try to do so, I instantaneously know that I have someone who lives life through oversimplification and will find the result to be unsatisfying. To me, there are only two categories: Normal people who understand that life is to be lived on a case-by-case basis and losers who wind up being failed by grand schemes.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM

1,862 posts, read 1,322,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
eh.. sometimes yes, sometimes no. that's why the issue is controversial. some issues are definitely "zero sum."
Nah, the issue is controversial because certain people harbor sexist proclivities . Unfortunately, these sexist tendencies are sometimes unintentionally. In other words, they just don't know any better.

There shouldn't be any controversy around the notion that some men will fail for some women to succeed. Men have lost and will lose opportunities to better qualified men, and other men will lose opportunities to better qualified women. That's how it's supposed to pan out. IMO, there's really no legitimate non-sexist reason behind this controversy.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM

11,639 posts, read 12,068,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
There shouldn't be any controversy around the notion that some men will fail for some women to succeed.
Fail/succeed...where?

Are you talking about the job market?

I always wonder where all this competitive "We can't 'allow' women the SAME rights we have, sheesh...are you crazy?...then they'll WIN" thing comes from. I can never figure out what we're supposed to be winning "over" men.

I'm wondering if it's jobs specifically that are the big fear?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM

11,996 posts, read 11,793,393 times
Quote:
Okay, what's his education and income level? What's yours? For you date up or down when you dated?

It's not me, it's society basically deeming men worthless if they able to provide and be able to fit 90% of what she wants in a man.

90 if women are the same, relationships is her ballgame not ours, we have little to say especially if we don't meet her requirements in a partner, unless your one of those guys who will end up jail due to bad choices with women.

You're speaking on behalf of all men with 'ours'.

Whats the real issue?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM

23,444 posts, read 16,690,729 times
Quote:
My husband has a masters in mechanical engineering, he works for the largest aerospace company in the US, how much he makes is none of your business.
I have a masters in interior design, I own my own firm, how much I make is also totally none of your business.
I dated blue and white collars when I was single, the up or down thing is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.