Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Well, Gloria Steinem is 77 years old, you know.
She has a name that reminds me of a Grand Piano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is one area I'm in agreement with most real feminists on. That a woman's worth shouldn't be so tied up in her physical appearance.

Well makes no sense for women to think this way, when men don't.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well makes no sense for women to think this way, when men don't. A lot of good that's gonna do her.
Until attitudes change this will be a problem for many more ambitious or not so good looking women. There's still a big percent of people who hold these shallow views.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Yes, I think women are judged more harshly and unforgivingly, in general.

Especially in terms of looks and appearance, women are held to a much higher standard.
Men are also held to high standards, but for other reasons (career, money, etc). I wish that people in general would only judge based on character, not someone's physical appearance that they often can't help or net income.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Men are also held to high standards, but for other reasons (career, money, etc). I wish that people in general would only judge based on character, not someone's physical appearance that they often can't help or net income.
Some really do. They're just more quiet about it. It's easy to spot those relationships where it really is true love.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Well, Gloria Steinem is 77 years old, you know.
I only mostly know Gloria Steinem as a name because I heard an hour-long radio interview with her one time (maybe earlier this year) one morning. All I knew is that she was a major feminist in the movement of the '60s but I wasn't around in the '60s anyway. In any case, just from that limited source and one time I heard of her, she seemed like a fair and progressive person that fought for social change and came across as very reasonable in the attitudes she showed in the interview, but then again I am only judging based on that information alone.

I don't know what this statement is supposed to mean.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Also don't forget our very own Germaine Greer. I read the Female Eunuch, it actually made a lot of sense and I agreed with most of it. Now she's just a grumpy old woman who complains about the littlest things.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Men have it easier, there are a lot of ways to improve your perceived level of attractiveness, and being unattractive does not have the same stigma for a man as it does a woman.
That goes without saying... Is there ANY area in which men don't have it easier?!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
One thing I respected about reading about (one manifestation of) the feminist worldview is when some feminists say "the body is just the vehicle for the mind" and moving away about judgements about bodies and more about personalities that inhabit them (I don't know if that's a distinctly feminist ideology alone but I think feminism did help a lot in promoting this view, just like the civil rights movement promoted the view that it didn't matter if you were black or white or what colour on the outside -- people were people).

It seems now some people actually insist on taking this idea the other way and saying "Feminists think that people born one sex is superior than those born the other!", where feminism was supposed to say "Sex/gender doesn't matter. People do."

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That goes without saying... Is there ANY area in which men don't have it easier?!
You don't want me to list them, but you asked for it .

1. In the past, and in some cases now, men were conscripted to go to war to fight and die

2. Have you ever been kicked or otherwise injured in the balls?

3. The amount of work some men have to go through in dating.

4. Man is still mostly expected to propose etc.

5. Still more pressure to be assertive, ambitious, have a successful career, although that's fast leveling out.

6. We die on average 5 years earlier than women.

7. Often having to do the more physically demanding roles.

8. Not having the unique experience of carrying a child, although that could also be a negative.

Of course I'm not saying women have it any EASIER, just saying there are downsides to being male...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships