Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the thing is, he's not working right now. Money is tight, they're barely making ends meet, belts need to be tightened, and he's essentially setting fire to $400 a month. He may very well enjoy smoking, but his habit is not benefiting anyone in his family at all.
Yep.

He should be ashamed of himself for burning up so much money when his family is struggling

But again, he sounds very depressed to me (which is not uncommon when you are unemployed), so I hope she'll be able to convince him to see his doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM

365 posts, read 644,732 times
Your husband has an addiction. You could show him charts and graphs. But that is not going to stop his addiction. I do believe he is stressed and somewhat emuscualted by living off of his wife. Now his wife is telling him to stop doing something. Where is it going to end?

He does need to find a job. That is paramount. He might think about changing careers or taking another job. As a stepping stone.

You might want to introduce him to electronic cigarettes as an alternative.
Amazon.com: Electronic Cigarette

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, if he's unemployed, he doesn't have to smoke Camels (at least temporarily). For the record, I'm a smoker, and I will not give up, but I would go down a cheaper route push come to shove. In fact, I have, on my own, because the prices ARE getting to be ridiculous. Considering we pay for just about anybody and are hated by just about anybody, the dear government promoting the paranoia better be ready to subsidize the saints if we quit.
Right, my roommate gets a carton for $30 now from the smoke shops.

Although I won't be in a house where anyone smokes because I don't want to smell like it or breathe it (I get bronchitis when I do) I still advocate for smokers rights when I hear crap about some wanting to make it law you can't smoke in your own house....your own yard....outside work.... It's gotten outrageous, I know.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
He does sound pretty selfish. I can sympathize. I know people who complain about money and I see how much they smoke. It's pretty sad. It's a really horrible addiction.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Right, my roommate gets a carton for $30 now from the smoke shops.

Although I won't be in a house where anyone smokes because I don't want to smell like it or breathe it (I get bronchitis when I do) I still advocate for smokers rights when I hear crap about some wanting to make it law you can't smoke in your own house....your own yard....outside work.... It's gotten outrageous, I know.
so do I, reason being, people have gone way to far...there are less people smoking today then ever before, and it's no one's business what one does in they're homes...I wish these extremists would energize in the real important issues in this country, rather then being control freaks.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
so do I, reason being, people have gone way to far...there are less people smoking today then ever before, and it's no one's business what one does in they're homes...I wish these extremists would energize in the real important issues in this country, rather then being control freaks.
And what outrages me just as much is people aren't outraged by the smoking and eating (trying to say what restaurants can and can't serve now) police. Leave us the hell alone and take care of your own house is what I want to tell them.

But I'm getting off track. OP, I think cremebrulee has some good ideas. Sit down and have a serious talk with him in a nonthreatening, unconfrontational way. Make some suggestions and ask him questions--if he has any ideas, etc. Maybe stop and pick him up a few job applications. Whatever it takes to get him out the door to look for work.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
They sell cartons of Paul Mall for 16 dollars... there's no excuse for buying Camels.

What? And who is 'they'? My roommate is great about finding the lowest prices on cartons and the cheapest he's found so far is generic you roll yourself with automatic machine at the smoke shop for $30. Haven't heard of $16 anywhere near our area.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
What? And who is 'they'? My roommate is great about finding the lowest prices on cartons and the cheapest he's found so far is generic you roll yourself with automatic machine at the smoke shop for $30. Haven't heard of $16 anywhere near our area.
THE cheapest are pretty awful... They're to be used if you want to quit. Light up - put out, light up - put out, lather, rinse, and repeat till you had enough.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
THE cheapest are pretty awful... They're to be used if you want to quit. Light up - put out, light up - put out, lather, rinse, and repeat till you had enough.
That was one reason I quit about twelve years ago, I hated spending the money on them and I think they were like $4 a pack then. And I hated wasting my short work breaks to go four flights downstairs and the equiv of about 3 city blocks to walk outside, find a place for smokers, hurry and smoke, get back, wash my hands, rinse with mouthwash and get back to work on time. I want to sit and do nothing on my breaks. But I couldn't get myself to smoke cheap for anything. I had to have my Capri's. So I quit. With the ocassional cheats--about one or two a week--it took about four months to completely quit. With each cheat I'd get sick and think, Ok, now I remember why I quit.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
One of you mentioned buying a carton of cigarettes for $16, another mentioned buying a carton for $30. I decided to go to the nearby smokeshop to see if there was a cheaper alternative.

Be glad that you don't live in Wisconsin with our sky-high cigarette taxes.

A carton of Camels cost $71.45 and their cheapest cigarettes, Pyramid cost $53.85 a carton. This place didn't have "roll it yourself" option. It may not be legal in our state.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think that I was over reacting a little this morning. I was trying to figure out how to pay the bills (actually the minimum on as many bills as possible) and there were two cartons on cigarettes sitting on our table (which I now know cost $142.90) that my husband had just purchased when he cashed his unemployment check. So, I was pretty annoyed.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships