Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times

Advertisements

I've been on match for about 2 months. I met 5 different guys and they were all very polite in person and did look like their pictures. I met one guy who I seemed to click with more than the others, and we've been dating a few weeks. Still trying to get a feel on his potential. Anyway, I know they can work. My best friend met her husband on match.

I think the difficult part is I really would like to meet someone fantastic and be in a serious relationship, but I think for it to work you have to just look at it as a way to meet new people and have fun. Don't take it too seriously, if that makes sense? And don't stop looking for opportunities to meet people in "real life" as well.

I finally joined because I don't meet a lot of new people. I go to work, and then I go home. Sometimes I meet friends out and about for drinks, but it's so difficult to pick up a decent relationship quality person out at a bar on the weekend. What can it hurt? If you don't like it, or it doesn't work for you, cancel your membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
Don't become needy, and don't take it too personal if someone doesn't click with you. My friend went to depression when a guy said he wanted to stop dating after about 4 dates. She couldn't understand why and become obsessed with trying to win him over, even though she didn't really like him either. She just couldn't deal with rejection.
This is really excellent advice. I had one such experience early on, and I let myself be gobsmacked by the rejection. I mean, not to blow my own horn, but I'm a catch. What I didn't realize at the time was that he was the "hook-up" type — I'm not. You can't push a square peg into a round hole.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:20 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
What I didn't realize at the time was that he was the "hook-up" type — I'm not. You can't push a square peg into a round hole.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:01 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
I was very frustrated with eHarmony because they kept sending me profiles of people who lived 180-300+ miles away. When I limited the geographic area I'd be willing to review profile from to a distance of 25 miles from my home I stopped getting profiles sent to me altogether. I live in a city with a metro area of a quarter of a million people. I had a hard time believing there wasn't anyone closer who would have been a good match.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM

378 posts, read 704,780 times
^ that happened with me on eHarmony. Even in my big city it was rare they'd match me with someone less than 50 miles away. You still have to be careful with the person though. I ended up meeting a guy, who was older, but we seemed to have a bit in common. We dated for about a month before I found out he was in debt up to his eyeballs, about to lose his law practice and I suspect on hard drugs due to his personality. So although eHarmony seems to put it out there that their members are supposedly, for lack of a better word, 'better' than others, they still can end up the bottom of the barrel.

I dated someone I met on Match for 3 years on and off, but again he was 200 miles away. I agree with whomever said not to use it as an exclusive way to find dates, but as an inclusion to non-online activities.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I was very frustrated with eHarmony because they kept sending me profiles of people who lived 180-300+ miles away. When I limited the geographic area I'd be willing to review profile from to a distance of 25 miles from my home I stopped getting profiles sent to me altogether. I live in a city with a metro area of a quarter of a million people. I had a hard time believing there wasn't anyone closer who would have been a good match.
I got that too. I also got profiles of men who looked old enough to be my father, even though they weren't that much older than I am. Also, those who weren't fit.

I'm very young looking and very fit, almost eerily so for my age. I don't expect men in that age range to look 20 years younger than they are, but the physical disparities were simply too great.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM

812 posts, read 736,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Go ahead and see what it's like. I guess if you try it and like it, then you found a vehicle to dating or whatever. I tried it twice and it was a disaster. Then someone put me on to the fact, that if you put a picture up there and you're unattractive to men -- they will not respond or they will respond looking for '**** buddies.' They scroll through the pictures and contact the best looking ones, b/c that's all they care about anyways. So, waste of my time completely.
Men are not the only people guilty of this.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-06-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Default Unreality

There's no substitute for a real human being.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 PM

244 posts, read 707,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
There's no substitute for a real human being.
Huh? ._.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM

93 posts, read 364,969 times
i would highly recommend plentyoffish (POF.com â„¢ The Leading Free Online Dating Site for Singles & Personals). It's a completely free site, completely - there's no catch. They also have mobile apps. There's tons of people on the site as well. Another free site is matchdoctor. My personal findings is that matchdoctor has less people overall then plentyoffish - but they're both free and both sites have forums where you can inter-act on a non-dating level with everyone from the site - and often times you can learn a lot about someone by how they interact with others on the forums. All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships