Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My daughter and her boyfriend shared an apartment for a year, but they were engaged (they are now married and bought a house). She says she would not have had that arrangement if they hadn't been serious about getting married. Her boyfriend's (now husband's) mother? She would have disowned him if he had planned on "shacking up" with my daughter for ten years or more. We (DH and I) were far more accepting of the year's arrangement than she was.

Marriage is a big step, though, as is divorce (I worked for an attorney for ten years). We've had clients who after 20 years of marriage thought they could just get it "annulled" (which doesn't work in this state, unless the parties are blood relatives, certified insane, etc.) Some thought it would just involve preparing an order, taking it to the courthouse for a judge's signature, and voila, you're divorced. Asset and debt division and settlement negotiations can be brutal (and costly). In some divorce cases, the parties racked up thousands of dollars in additional attorney's fees on top of the initial retainer (a no-fault divorce retainer was $850.00, and they were RARELY no-fault), to the tune of $150.00 per hour (and the attorney I worked for was adept at padding the hours).
Oh I totally understand your daughter's situation. I think it was smart that she lived with him for a year & was engaged...I was referring more to the folks that do this as a revolving door, LOL. I know a woman (a cousin actually) that has shuffled her 2 kids around from state to state following different husbands ... I realize marriage is a huge step; it looks like they make it difficult on purpose to divorce to maybe deter people from jumping into things? But a lot of what I see is people marrying the wrong person from the jump and then blaming it on the concept of marriage. Like they knew for years this man was a heavy drinker or this woman had 4 kids & 3 baby daddies. Then they file for divorce because she can't stand his drinking like a fish and he's tired of the drama with the kids' mothers. It's like you knew these things before hand -- what did you marry them for?? But I assume this downing of marriage happens b/c one bad experience, paints the entire picture -- which I'm not going to talk about people who do that, LOL.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times
[quote=Rakin;23239027]After many years in a great marriage, I'd probably never marry again either. There is a certain age where separate households should be maintained and no reason to merge property and assets.

Outside of the personal aspect, Marriage is a legal & business commitment. It does establish a needed family unit when the desire to have kids exists.

When someone gets around 55 and older, there's not much need to "Tie the knot".

Absolutely!!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
loose cannon...to each their own I guess.....we moved in together after a month...6 years later we got married.......personally I agree with the Taoist Dude...I'm on the other side...I'm thinking living together BEFORE you tie the knott is the best way to go....if you can't get along with each other BEFORE you get married...that ceremony and piece of paper won't change anything.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
While I do not support Santorum and other similar Christian Right goons, I still have some socially conservative views. The difference is I have no interest in legislating or passing laws that regulate behavior. I can still comment on behavior I do not agree with. Here goes, I am not a cohabitation person. Some guy who just was released from jail meets up with a woman and moves in with her. I understand he knew her before, but even so this is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is a dude who met some woman online from across the country and within weeks they are moving in together. What is the rush? Why do people just jump the gun and start shacking up. I will never do it. Even if I am in a serious relationship, you have your place, and I have mine. Of course I'll have sex, but no permanent living arrangement will be agreed upon until there is an actual commitment leading to marriage.
"two can live cheaper than one"

Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
As long as no one gets hurt, I'm happy.

I lived with my H before we got married and I should have lived with him longer.... I might have been smart enough to NOT marry him! I am now a widow and I live with a great man. We CAN'T get married because it would cut our prospective Social Security benefits. We would marry if we could but we can't justify losing the income for a piece of paper.

There are lots of reasons to live together rather than marry.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I totally decided to shack up because it was the "in" thing to do. Or not.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The reality for many folks "shacking up", is the economy, and surviving. There are lots of low paying jobs, and you can't make rent, car payment, live well on one small income. Two incomes is better. Plus, if one person gets laid off, the other can help support him/her until he/ she lands another job. People are not getting married, because it complicates benefits...or maybe they don't want a long term commitment.

I see it less of a moral issue, and more of a reality of harsh economic times.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:27 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,440 times
shacking up is fun....(at least at first)

Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Default Relationships > living together

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
While I do not support Santorum and other similar Christian Right goons, I still have some socially conservative views. The difference is I have no interest in legislating or passing laws that regulate behavior. I can still comment on behavior I do not agree with. Here goes, I am not a cohabitation person. Some guy who just was released from jail meets up with a woman and moves in with her. I understand he knew her before, but even so this is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is a dude who met some woman online from across the country and within weeks they are moving in together. What is the rush? Why do people just jump the gun and start shacking up. I will never do it. Even if I am in a serious relationship, you have your place, and I have mine. Of course I'll have sex, but no permanent living arrangement will be agreed upon until there is an actual commitment leading to marriage.

It is good to see a poster on here that uses good judgement and says what they think! I'm not one for shacking up either, but I don't agree with a lot of things people do.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
One thing I see quite often is seniors "shacking up". They lost a spouse, and find another one. They are happy, and don't get married due to financial issues. For sure, there are no illegitmate kids from those unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships