Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Aw, that's not true! I'm a Republican woman and very nice. However, I'm not any where as conservative as this person is, but maybe that's because I've lived in other countries and in major US cities, and have friends from all over.

I dated a super liberal guy, and I was fairly conservative. We argued sometimes over things, but I actually had to get him to recycle and reduce his overall consumption of stuff (that's actually part of being conservative - you know, conserving stuff and nature?). Anyway, it can work. We just had to learn to respect one another's differences of opinion and learn from one another once in awhile.

It sounds like your fiance has a very limited world view, so maybe if you two would get out of your usual environment for awhile and spend some time in a very different one, then you could expand her horizons. Why don't the two of you volunteer for some very poor people, so she can see they can't just necessarily "get over it?" Or maybe travel some place new and interact with the locals, so she can see how other people think. You shouldn't have to hide who you are and how you think from your life partner. Doesn't sound like a good partnership if you can't be who you are. But I think it's very worthwhile to share your dissimilar views and see if you can't get her to open her mind a little. She's doing Republicans a great disservice to be so narrowminded.
A long-held belief of mine---that not EVERY person who has a Republican/conservative viewpoint is someone to be automatically hated, feared, and despised...you gave the OP good solid advice, and I hope he takes something positive away from reading your post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I know right. Some of these people need to quit worrying about the the U.S. and worry more about the third world sh*t hole countries they live in.
I didn't know New Zealand was a third world country and from pictures I've seen, it's far from being a "sh*thole country".

Ignorance is blissful, right?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
I know right. Some of these people need to quit worrying about the the U.S. and worry more about the third world sh*t hole countries they live in.
1. She stated she does not live in New Zealand.
2. New Zealand is not a "third world **** hole."

OP, if she really is like that, bringing up those things in conversation will just cause contention that wasn't really there before. I'd say to just leave it and continue doing what you're doing.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My SO and I do not have identical views or politics, but neither do we have opposing/conflicting views and politics. So long as values are compatible, I don't find it to be a big deal, personally. I didn't sign on to be with somebody who thinks exactly like I do. As long as our beliefs work well together, it's a nonissue. Not all differing politics are opposing politics.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
My husband and I have very different political views. One of us is very anti-abortion, one is pro-choice. One is anti-unions, the other pro. (etc, etc). The thing is, neither of us is going to have an abortion. Neither of us is a member of a union. None of this stuff affects us on a daily basis. Every 4 years we bicker and debate certain issues back and forth, but at the end of the day it's just not a major player in our daily lives, so we avoid talking about it most of the time and life goes on.

That being said...we absolutely 1000% discussed this a million times over before we got married (or even engaged). We knew that we aligned on every major thing in our lives--the role of religion in our marriage, giving to charity, heck, even recycling (hey, we met in college--the beer bottles had to go somewhere). It's not fair to either of you to not be completely up front about every little thing before you say "I do". If my husband had turned out to be as extreme and stubborn in his views as it sounds like your fiancee is, I don't think we would have made it to the alter.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It would NEVER work with me. But that's just me
Me too. There are certain beliefs that would be a deal breaker for me. We don't have to agree on everything, but there are a few key issues that are important.

That being said, a good friend of mine is very socially conservative, and her husband is very liberal on social issues. They have "play fights" about it. (One big disagreement for them is gay marriage, but she definitely has some issues to work out on that one, seeing as one of her best friends from college is gay and wants to get married, so this has caused a bit of a rift in their friendship.)

Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I didn't know New Zealand was a third world country and from pictures I've seen, it's far from being a "sh*thole country".

Ignorance is blissful, right?
Ignorance is bliss, Do you even know the original meaning of the word "third world"? Third world is a cold war geopolitical term. The first world was the united states and it's western european allies. The second world was the soviet union and it's communist eastern European allies. And the third world was everybody else, so yes by that definition new Zealand is a third world country.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I can imagine possibly marrying someone with different political views from my own, but I think it would be trying sometimes. What I can't imagine is marrying that person without first discussing those differences and making sure she could deal with it. This is something that needs to be discussed before the wedding, and in fact I can't fathom not doing so. I know a lot of people don't like to bring up politics when they know the other person will disagree, but in this case I think it's 100% necessary, immediately.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss, Do you even know the original meaning of the word "third world"? Third world is a cold war geopolitical term. The first world was the united states and it's western european allies. The second world was the soviet union and it's communist eastern European allies. And the third world was everybody else, so yes by that definition new Zealand is a third world country.
Doesn't make it a shyte hole. Ever been to or heard of Newark? That's a shyte hole.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Wikipedia doesn't agree with you.

"After the Cold War these countries of the First World included member states of NATO, US aligned states, neutral countries who were developed and industrialized, and the former British Colonies which were considered developed. It can be defined succinctly as Europe, plus the richer countries of the former British Empire (USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand) and Japan. Countries were also placed into the First World based on how civilized the country was. According to Nations Online the member countries of NATO after the Cold War included"

First World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships