Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
There could be a variety of reasons your friends are saying those things. It could be that if they are single themselves, then proclaiming how no one needs a partner is a kind of defense mechanism. Kinda like how ex-smokers can suddenly become intolerant of any cigarette smoke in their vicinity or the way an ex-alcoholic sometimes comes to regard anyone who drinks even a small amount of liquor as an alcoholic. Therefore, anyone who even expresses a desire for a relationship is automatically a weak person who can't be alone.

It could also be that the OP is one of those people who is very, very particular or a very independent person who needs to have things her way/under her control. This can make it hard to date, and the friends may be reacting out of frustration when suitors are rejected over and over. It's hard to say.

In any case, I think people are the most happy if they can find a loving partner that they are content with. However, if that is not possible for some reason, its far better to be single than in a relationship that is severely dysfunctional. Many people are happy as single people and find fulfillment elsewhere.
ya, one of my friends that accused me of this, is single herself. She even admitted to me that she has days herself that she feels bummed about it but I'm not allowed to have days like that..weird. I've also dated a lot more than her with no luck. She has a long way to go before she can be as annoyed as me.

I'm not very particular. I'm emotionally independent because I have to be. I meet mostly attractive and good men but that stupid thing called chemistry never moves anything forward because its just not there. It tends to be a mutual thing though.

I agree, I'd much rather be alone than be in a dysfunctional relationship but I'd be most happy if I could find a good partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You'll find out the truth about those one day as well... Sooner or later, it always comes out.
lol..what? that they have ulterior motives? I'm not worried about that..they all know where I stand. Its really hard to even make friends in this town. People are just not very sociable.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
And I don't get why you let what your friends think bother you. I don't even let what my grown kids think bother me. And we're close. Don't like the way I think or live my life? Lucky for you that's why it's called MY life.....MY opinion....

Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
And I don't get why you let what your friends think bother you. I don't even let what my grown kids think bother me. And we're close. Don't like the way I think or live my life? Lucky for you that's why it's called MY life.....MY opinion....
It doesn't really bother me..I just don't get why people pretend it doesn't matter. It does..as evident by the sheer fact that there is even a relationship forum!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
lol..what? that they have ulterior motives? I'm not worried about that..they all know where I stand.
That's irrelevant. They'll try their luck eventually.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
A lot has changed in the last 20 years and a lot of certain people treat relationships as a game. And the government is heavily involved in people's personal lives and women are always interfering in their friends' relationships, making judgments of other people's personal decisions.

Which is why there's an alarming number of men stepping back from relationships.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
A lot has changed in the last 20 years and a lot of certain people treat relationships as a game. And the government is heavily involved in people's personal lives and women are always interfering in their friends' relationships, making judgments of other people's personal decisions.

Which is why there's an alarming number of men stepping back from relationships.
I agree..its sad.

Sierra-lol...oh well. Most of them are in relationships/married..the ones who are single already told me how they feel. They can keep trying but I won't change my mind.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
It doesn't really bother me..I just don't get why people pretend it doesn't matter. It does..as evident by the sheer fact that there is even a relationship forum!
I continue to be baffled by you being single. Oh to be a young man! I would HAVE to give it my best shot! I mean DAMN!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I continue to be baffled by you being single. Oh to be a young man! I would HAVE to give it my best shot! I mean DAMN!
hahahaha..eh, ya I get that too. lol

Old 03-06-2012, 12:59 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
There have been points in my life where having a relationship mattered and times where it didn't matter and I really didn't want one. Right now I'm at place where I really want one. Being single sucks when you're ready to be in a relationship. My friend also accused me of needing a man to be happy and not being happy on my own when I told her I wished I had a relationship. There's a big difference between WANT and NEED. If I needed a relationship I'd latch onto any willing guy I could, but because I want one I'm waiting for the right relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships