Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

IMHO you are not sending a gift to make the recipient feel better, but to make you feel better.
Definitely NOT the case. I'm a tightwad when it comes to money. The last thing I'd do to make me feel better about myself is to go out and buy flowers for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
We only live once though; don't just wait and then wonder later on about the "What ifs?"
That is true! I hate it when I get the "What if" feeling.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I wouldn't accept an anonymous gift.
Too many weirdos out there with internet access.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,222 times
Real question is what do you hope to get out of this?? No man sends a girl flowers to make her happy. I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're currently single and wouldn't mind changing that status with this "friend".

My advice: If nothing has changed, expect the same result. To do otherwise is insanity.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 AM

While the main reason I'd send the gift is to make her happy and show her that I still care, I admit that I'd be quite happy if it brought us together again.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
If strong chemistry had existed from the gitgo, she'd be with you now!

I'd send it anonymously, since your intentions were to do it out of selfless love and respect!

By signing your name, you might catch her at a temporary low point in her current relationship, throw her into a state of confusion/indecision, start the ball rolling again, get sucked in, and she ends up going back to the person she's with!

Besides, that gift may last her her entire lifetime, trying to figure out who sent it!

I had someone, once, mail me some well-chosen books (he/she must have know what I liked to read!) anonymously. It's been years, decades, and I've never figured out exactly who sent them, what a nice gift I'll long remember!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If strong chemistry had existed from the gitgo, she'd be with you now!

I'd send it anonymously, since your intentions were to do it out of selfless love and respect!

By signing your name, you might catch her at a temporary low point in her current relationship, throw her into a state of confusion/indecision, start the ball rolling again, get sucked in, and she ends up going back to the person she's with!

Besides, that gift may last her her entire lifetime, trying to figure out who sent it!

I had someone, once, mail me some well-chosen books (he/she must have know what I liked to read!) anonymously. It's been years, decades, and I've never figured out exactly who sent them, what a nice gift I'll long remember!
She claims that the reason she got with my friend was because I was moving, but she got with him several months before I actually moved and failed to tell me about the two of them. I did move back to Kansas since then and we just haven't gotten anywhere near serious which could in fact mean that it never would have worked anyway.

But anyway, it's nice to see someone having a different opinion. Some valid points as well. Even if she is in a relationship (I'm not sure if she is), do you think that an anonymous gift could still cause problems in her current relationship? The last thing I'd wanna do is ruin her relationship if she happened to be in one.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 AM

737 posts, read 1,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
So there is this girl I use to be close to and her birthday is coming up. We were once pretty close...almost dating, but she ended up giving in to my former friend and her and I haven't talked in awhile. That's not an issue, but I figured people would ask why we didn't talk anymore. Anyway, I don't think there is a future with us anymore, but I still want her to be happy on her birthday. Would it make any sense to have something (Flowers and/or chocolate) mailed to her anonymously, or should I go ahead and put my name on it?
You were never even dating. What do you mean by "giving in" to your former friend? Is he a former friend because he is dating a person that you never dated? I think it is time for you to move on.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
You were never even dating. What do you mean by "giving in" to your former friend? Is he a former friend because he is dating a person that you never dated? I think it is time for you to move on.
Nah, he is a former friend because it was an ever ending cycle. It seemed like if he wasn't dating anyone, then he didn't want me dating anyone either. But he's not dating her anymore. He got what he wanted from her then quit talking to her.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Dude, if you know you have no ulterior motives but to make her happy than just do it.You just got to do what you feel is right because as you can see, most people on here think that you're trying to get something out of this. So much for being a genuinely nice person huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships