Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times

Advertisements

I have just received a very interesting suggestion for our first date; that if babysitting is an issue, I can just go ahead and bring my son with me to the agreed restaurant, and that it's absolutely fine with him, lol!!

Never heard such a thing before, and I thought it was hilarious. He's a nice gentleman though, and I know he means well. I think it's sweet of him to say that, but, nah, no kiddos go to my dates.

Just thought I should share to see if anyone has ever been asked this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
I don't have any kids, but I have had women who had babysitting plans fall through ask me if they could bring their kid to dinner with us. Of course I declined, but I always reshceduled.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I think its a sweet gesture, to make this offer. But I think its really an awful idea to make the poor child be part of a date. Also, I don't think kids should meet love interests of their parents until the relationship is serious enough that marriage looks like the next step. Its just too confusing for children. A man who knows kids will certainly understand that!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I have just received a very interesting suggestion for our first date; that if babysitting is an issue, I can just go ahead and bring my son with me to the agreed restaurant, and that it's absolutely fine with him, lol!!

Never heard such a thing before, and I thought it was hilarious. He's a nice gentleman though, and I know he means well. I think it's sweet of him to say that, but, nah, no kiddos go to my dates.

Something ain't right about that. Totally an internal feeling but no guy I've heard of wants a kid along on a first date. Definitely proceed with caution.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think its a sweet gesture, to make this offer. But I think its really an awful idea to make the poor child be part of a date. Also, I don't think kids should meet love interests of their parents until the relationship is serious enough that marriage looks like the next step. Its just too confusing for children. A man who knows kids will certainly understand that!
We, parents, know that already which is why I said it will never happen. What he was trying to do is accomodate my situation so I don't have the pressure to get a sitter and didn't focus too much on the bolded part above. He has grown up children of his own, so he does know them well. I just thought it was a sweet but strange suggestion and wanted to see if anyone else has been asked the same before.

But anyway, my mom is always glad to help so problem solved!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Something ain't right about that. Totally an internal feeling but no guy I've heard of wants a kid along on a first date. Definitely proceed with caution.
Let's start by saying, I was introduced to the man at a cocktail party last Wednesday by his business partner whom I know very well, so he's not a total stranger. Security is not an issue here.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
He's just trying to make a good impression. There's no way he really wants your child to be there for a first date. He's just trying to come across as a "good guy"

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,277,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I agree to a point but waiting "until marriage is the next step" is a little unrealistic. It's okay, in my opinion, to bring dates around as long as they are presented as friends. After my divorce I dated a few girls, but they knew that no affection was to be shown around the kids. No spending the night while my kids were with me either.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post

RUN from this one my friend.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Ive had a lunch date where she brought her son with. I knew her and her son well and it wasn't a first date though. There are so many different circumstances where it would be ok or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships