Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,587,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I don't care what people wear actually, and by the same token I don't care what they think of my clothes.
Actually clothes are overrated- I hate them
I know people that demand to wear designer labels, and I know people that never put on more than a t-shirt & jeans. The ones that "need" the designer labels just scream high maintenance to me. I think that it's just as easy to look good & not spend a lot of money.

Just as that song says, Redneck Woman....

*Victoria's Secret, well their stuffs real nice
Oh, but I can buy the same damn thing on a Wal-Mart shelf half price
Still look sexy, just as sexy as those models on TV
No, I don't need no designer tag to make my man want me*
Im the same way. I do my best not to judge people based on such nonsense, nor do I want to be judged by the clothes Im wearing. Everyone is a unique individual and that should show in every apect of their lives. I am lucky enough to have a white collar job, while being able to wear anything I want, so no sufficating in a wool suit and being strangled by a tie on a 100 degree day mid July.

I have some very nice designer clothing, but more often than not underdress, so you really cant tell if Im a banker or unemployed. I really wish that our society at some point gets to a place where we judge each other based on our character and how we interract, rather than a worthless piece of clothing we put on that morning. Often, you really cannot tell if someone is well off or struggling, based on what clothes they wear - and thats the way it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,295,457 times
I can't help but judge people on how they dress, so I assume others do as well.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,925,785 times
Clothing makes the biggest difference for people who are between a 5 and 7 in attractiveness where being snappily dressed can make a huge difference. If someone looks like Brat Pitt or Cindy Crawford, they could wear any dowdy clothing and still look good. A person who is fairly hideous probably couldn't look hot in thousand dollar designer clothing. When you're somewhere in between, clothing helps a lot, as well as a flattering hairstyle, good grooming and for women, good makeup.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
Dressing well has nothing to do with the price of the items. There are plenty of ugly clothes that costs thousands of dollars as well as great looking cheap clothes.

Dressing well means picking the right pieces that suit your style, shape and occasion that fit well and are well coordinated. It doesn't matter if you get it at Walmart or Neimans (although it is a lot easier to find someone to help you at Neiman's find that special outfit).

I have a friend, when left to her own devices, dresses horribly. Every season I accompany her on a shopping trip to pick out new stuff. It frankly makes no difference which store we go to: H&M, Kohls, the outlet mall, Target, Banana Republic whereever. I help her pick out some new outfits, based on her budget that day.

A few weeks later, she always tells me "I got so many compliments on that dress/shirt/sweater/jeans/blah blah that you picked out. Everyone says I look great." The compliments come from friends, coworkers and strangers.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,707,147 times
I wear sneakers and jeans almost every single time (when away from work, like today). I used to put a lot of effort into dressing and now I barely put in any at all and either way it didn't seem to make a difference. So I'm going with, it doesn't really matter.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,499,014 times
When men try TOO hard.....jeans falling down to show top of pants.....OBVIOUS name brands, tags on everything.....big baseball type shoes with the laces undone - meant to impress but for me its a depress.

A man who is CLEAN, Shaven.....smells good, wears well fitting appropriate clothes for the occasion and has a decent pair of shoes on....good haircut....clean, cut nails, THAT impresses.

As a woman, I like to look smartish rather than scruffbag.

Hair should ALWAYS be clean, nails ditto. Too much cleavage, too much leg, is trying TOO hard. And looks cheap.

some people want to look cheap. I prefer style and class.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM

22,193 posts, read 29,224,809 times
Clothes make a huge difference..Period

Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM

17,613 posts, read 22,554,692 times
Leather buckskins look reel nice with my bowie knife, & comfortable mocassins...

Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,547,791 times
I know people who spend all of their money on clothing, because how they look is so important. And some of these people cannot afford to pay their everyday bills because they are so busy blowing money on more clothing than they need.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 PM

366 posts, read 773,168 times
Default "People look much better..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
First off, I don't wanna hear none of this "People look much better without any on at all!" What I'm asking is how much can the clothes someone wears effect how attractive they are? Have you ever seen someone in certain clothes and thought "Wow, they look hideous!" Then you see the same person another time in something different and think "Wow, they look really nice!" I've always heard people say "dress to impress." Well, is that true? Or should people wear what they feel comfortable in?
Unless one looks like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie, I am a firm believer that "clothes make the man/woman," regardless of their race, age, height or weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships