Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 PM

733 posts, read 1,750,360 times

Advertisements

First off, I don't wanna hear none of this "People look much better without any on at all!" What I'm asking is how much can the clothes someone wears effect how attractive they are? Have you ever seen someone in certain clothes and thought "Wow, they look hideous!" Then you see the same person another time in something different and think "Wow, they look really nice!" I've always heard people say "dress to impress." Well, is that true? Or should people wear what they feel comfortable in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM

20,247 posts, read 36,935,109 times
Clothes are like makeup in that both can be used as enhancements (to make the person more attractive, and so forth). The wrong makeup can make a woman look unattractive, and the same can be said for clothing.

Then, dressing to impress depends on what you want to achieve. For example, if you are attending a gathering where everyone is wearing suits (men) and dresses (women), would you attend wearing blue jeans and a T-shirt? How about a man looking for a janitorial job, should he wear a 3-piece suit?

Lest say that you are spending a day at the local park. In this case wearing clothing you are comfortable with is an excellent idea. Again, all depends on what you want to achieve at the moment, or if there is a need for you to impress others or someone.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-09-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 PM

37,459 posts, read 45,666,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
First off, I don't wanna hear none of this "People look much better without any on at all!" What I'm asking is how much can the clothes someone wears effect how attractive they are? Have you ever seen someone in certain clothes and thought "Wow, they look hideous!" Then you see the same person another time in something different and think "Wow, they look really nice!" I've always heard people say "dress to impress." Well, is that true? Or should people wear what they feel comfortable in?
Obviously it depends on the situation. On the job, going out, certain social events...certainly. Walking the dog in the park...not so much.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 PM

48,318 posts, read 34,458,434 times
If I wore what I was comfortable in I'd wear sweats and uggs.

I prefer something that combines comfort AND is flattering.

People are going to make first judgements on how you present yourself.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,518,690 times
I think this sould be viewed as a woman/man point of view.
For many women the choice of shoes is important.
For men just breathing is enough.

Women are more keyed into their senses, the smell, taste, sight, even the voice of a man is enough to melt panties.
For men we are more on the visual but it is the face, body, ass, breasts we notice.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,434,045 times
I wear a uniform to work so when I'm out I'm not dressing to impress anyone. I like looking nice but not going out of my way when the weekend gets here.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 PM

37,459 posts, read 45,666,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If I wore what I was comfortable in I'd wear sweats and uggs.

I prefer something that combines comfort AND is flattering.

Absolutely. ALWAYS always always. No one knows a thing about you when they first see you, other than what they see. The brain instantly judges based on that image. Make it a good one.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,434,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

That sounds like a personal problem.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM

19,454 posts, read 22,368,087 times
I went in to work Monday wearing pressed khaki's, a sharp blue shirt and a freshly pressed yellow tie and got the oohs and ahhs. Today I wore jeans and a checked green flannel shirt, hiking boots and haven't shaved in 2 days. My boss said I looked like I was ready to go out and chop wood.

Kind of a no brainer here. Look sharp, feel sharp, be sharp.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM

48,318 posts, read 34,458,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
That sounds like a personal problem.
I don't think so. Most people form a snap judgement on people they meet. Everything from their facial expressions, clothes and how they hold themselves.

I have no problem with it because I know better than to place my final judgement on that, but you gotta have something to go at first glance.

If you have long hair and are wearing plaid, I'm gonna put into the indie-rocker, corporate suit will put you as a business person, etc.

Sure, there is a LOT more to people than how you may see them at the moment... but don't kid yourself, peeps are goin' to judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships