Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

No judgement, all of this happens in places with a rich density of hillbillies and rouges-cous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile;
No judgement, all of this happens in places with a rich density of hillbillies and rouges-cous.
Hmm... Well, I don't live in an area with many hillbillies or rednecks. I live in a large city on the west coast and the hillbillies you refer to don't enjoy the city much. But many thanks for offering that one up, sure does make a lot of sense .

You should probably go outside and get a breath of fresh air .

Old 03-12-2012, 01:12 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,158 times
To the OP ...

You could have described similar problems I have with one of my very old friends. She was OK until her divorce, then something inside of her seemed to snap, and now she makes some VERY unhealthy choices — along the lines of your friend, only frankly, to the power of five at the least.

After listening to the drama-drama-drama, I finally sat her down and let her know that I was concerned about her well-being due to the types of men she was letting into her life, quite intimately. And I played the "Super Auntie" card (concerned about how this will affect her kids). After that, I dropped it.

But ... our friendship did cool off a tad after I aired these concerns. Be prepared ... anything that you could tell your friend may make her back off, too. Which might be a good thing. For me, it worked out both good and bad. Good because I no longer worry about her and her kids incessantly. Bad, because I don't ever seeing us being as close as we were.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
I would reduce my involvement but wouldn't eliminate it. With the terrible choices she's making, eventually she may genuinely need your help.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Far too much drama for me.

We have a friend like that, her ife is always in disarray.

She's actually more of an acquitance these days.. exactly because of her drama......

The older I get, the less and less I want to deal with crap.
This is how I feel as well. I know a couple people like this. All they seem to want is to suck you into their cesspool of drama. No Thanks.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
A friendship should be mutually beneficial to both parties. What do you get out of this friendships besides getting to play therapist to her problems for free? Problems SHE creates herself no less.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
I have a friend I've known for about three years or so. When I met her she was coming out of a two-year relationship with a guy; he left her for someone else. In that two years' time they racked up $17K in debt on her credit cards. He was supposed to make payments to her but, of course, never did. She is now in a credit/debt counseling program and despite making good money, she is always broke.

Since then I have seen her let a guy she knew from high school move in with her (platonic) after he was released from prison...that didn't work out. She also almost let a co-worker of hers move into her house. The co-worker's teenaged son (14) has big issues, is currently a suspect in an arson involving a neighbor's home.

Her recent dilemma, she is engaged to someone she's known for almost two months . He and his three small children (+ a dog) moved into her home after she and the guy dated a week. He is unemployed, has a home in foreclosure with his very recent ex-wife (they've been divorced less than 2 weeks), in the middle of a bankruptcy, and recently had to return a car to the dealership because he couldn't make the payments any longer. One of his kids has quite a few behavior problems.

My friend, we used to work together and get together for lunch here and there, never more than that (level of drama in her life is a bit much for me). However, more and more our conversations involve these ridiculous situations she gets herself into. Prior to meeting this guy it seemed she was really getting her life together, accomplishing things she had always wanted to do, etc.

Then she meets this guy in the middle of his divorce (his wife cheated) while he was couch surfing at friends' houses. Just about all of his unemployment income goes to his now ex for child support. He told my friend if he could get his kids full-time, he'd still be willing to pay his ex child support to avoid court . As it is, he has his kids far more often than their mom does.

She thinks this guy is her Prince Charming and I think his situation is a train wreck. I know people are more than money or a credit score but this guy's got serious baggage, IMO. The more I hear about the decisions she makes, the
less interested I am in spending time with her. Am I just cynical or too judgmental?
I don’t think you are being either, I got exhausted jut reading it.
Not to be mean but your friend sounds a little codependent and
Reminds me a lot of my friend and her mother whom I have posted about on this forum in the past.
I love my friend dearly since I have known her most of my life and I care for her mother as well but I came to the realization that some people thrive on drama and chaos.
That believe it or not they need this in their lives in order for them to feel needed.
This is not to say that your friend is not a good person because she seems very empathetic and giving however she seems to have poor boundaries she also seems very impulsive and this combination is no bueno,
What I found effective with my friend is to ask her how all of this made her feel?
She would answer with excuses instead of how overwhelmed she felt, like, “ I know he loves me, he just makes bad choices” “ He is planning to get help, he applied to several jobs” But was very evasive on making a decision that she knew she needed to because she is afraid of being alone. ‘
I finally told her after months of being a sounding board “Look, you know I love you and I would never go out of my to hurt you however I can see that this is taking a toll on you, this is a huge issue one that you cannot fix and you are going to end up getting hurt” I recommend you thinking long and hard at what you are getting out of this and start making moves towards getting your life back” As far as my listening to you? It Is hard for me to keep listening to you since I get frustrated and angry so if you want to hang out? This is fine, we can have fun and talk about other things but I am done hearing on this issue.”
It took her a year and getting takn to the cleaners, doing reconciliation with banks and creditors, here we are three years later and she is still paying on “his” debt..
However she is rid of him since 3 years ago and Is rebuilding her life.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times
some people enjoy abousive relationships

Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
What do you have in common with this person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships