U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM

4,338 posts, read 6,299,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
They have a male to female ration of 10:1, no fun dancing around with a bunch of dudes, atleast that's not my idea of fun anyway.
Yes they do lol. Even when they let the girls in for free. Normally a fight at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM

26,681 posts, read 27,578,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Yes they do lol. Even when they let the girls in for free. Normally a fight at the end.
There is nothing worse than being the only woman in a club/party full of men (unless it's a gay club!)

Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

11,667 posts, read 13,659,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

The last straw for me, in terms of getting down on the dance floor came when I went clubbing for a b-day party, I was dancing with my friends and a strange guy came up, started grinding on me and trying to pull up my dress. Obviously this is a little sketchy, but expected in a night club. But this guy totally had a hard on. It totally sketched me out, because he wanted to make it as obvious as possible that he was hard.

So ladies - have you had sketchy experiences at the club? How do you handle it? Do you still dance as hard as you did when you were younger? Men, how are you approaching women on the dance floor? How do you get your groove on without looking like a creep.
When I was in my 20s, I loved going out with my friends. If I had a couple of drinks, I would get out and dance with the girls. The last time I did was quite a few years ago at a low-key place. I was in my own world, moving with the music - nothing suggestive - and I ended up with a guy behind me and a girl in front of me. Both were bumping and grinding on me like they didn't have a care in the world.

At first I didn't know what to do, then the song was over. The woman leaned into me and said "you're a good girl" and patted my butt. I didn't wait around to find out what the guy was going to do. lol

I've grown out of my club phase, so I don't worry about it anymore. I had fun back then...

Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,807,170 times
Where I live there are no places where a woman would experience what you experienced. It would be my guess you brought some of this on yourself by the way you were dancing/behaving, however, I wasn't there so I'm just guessing and I may be wrong. I love dancing and always have, we have a couple places we can dance on Friday and Saturday nights at private clubs, no cover charge, just pay for what you drink. We have also provided the music for many parties in our area, at a private country club. The people that go to these private clubs are mostly friendly folks who just want to have a good time. Years ago we used to see fights and drunks, but not any more. Sorry I can't answer your questions about 'sketchy', I only speak English, and know nothing of your terminology.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
When I was in my 20s, I loved going out with my friends. If I had a couple of drinks, I would get out and dance with the girls. The last time I did was quite a few years ago at a low-key place. I was in my own world, moving with the music - nothing suggestive - and I ended up with a guy behind me and a girl in front of me. Both were bumping and grinding on me like they didn't have a care in the world.
I danced with a girl like once in college. Danced with was probably a misnomer, we did some belly dancing moves and a hip bump.

We would always "sandwich" some of our guy friends. But it was completely innocent. No one really got super close.

It is pretty crazy that you don't even need to be suggestive for other people to get the wrong idea. Forget about doing really suggestive moves!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Where I live there are no places where a woman would experience what you experienced. It would be my guess you brought some of this on yourself by the way you were dancing/behaving, however, I wasn't there so I'm just guessing and I may be wrong.
Sounds nice. I am tame on the dance floor. There are definitely people simulating a lot on the dance floor where it could be inferred they want something more, but personally I don't go much more crazy than some meringue or chachacha steps.

Quote:
Sorry I can't answer your questions about 'sketchy', I only speak English, and know nothing of your terminology.
Sketchy is roughly equivalent to dodgy or sleazy.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 PM

42,551 posts, read 41,690,134 times
I dance like a black women.

And my last experience was over the summer with a bunch of Asian ladies. We were all dancing to a live band and dj when he took a break. I was dancing and this cute guy asked me to dance. It was nice until he told me to spin around so he could grind! I am not grinding! Too old for that shat! And I do real dancing. Not just that crap.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 PM

9,452 posts, read 16,144,009 times
I love to dance but I hate clubs and the meat-market atmosphere, and besides I'm 52. So I go to folk dances which are nicer for several reasons. 1. I love the music 2. No alcohol 3. For the most part the men are respectful, probably b/c they're sober. 4. It's great for beginners and the old-timers are willing to help the newbies along and we just have a great time. And greenpapayas, one of my favorite partners is an indian man--he is a great dancer and a lot of fun. We get people of other nationalities too--we're not a racist bunch at all.

That said, I realize that swing dancing is what a lot of people do in the clubs around here and a friend took me to one and I never saw so many old people in my life--it was almost funny to see the lady with the oxygen tank bellied up to the bar but then I thought it was nice to see older folks out having a good time and enjoying themselves. Swing is not my thing though.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM

1,263 posts, read 863,500 times
Quote:
All throughout my teens and mid 20s I loved to go out and dance. And then as I got a little older, I was much less excited about going out dancing, because of the clubs!

I used to be the person getting down on the dance floor (I am a pretty good dancer), but now I save all my best dance moves for weddings, parties where I know most people, dance or fitness classes or at home.

Not sure if it is a function of becoming more inhibited, or more jaded by the behavior of the random people at the club.

The last straw for me, in terms of getting down on the dance floor came when I went clubbing for a b-day party, I was dancing with my friends and a strange guy came up, started grinding on me and trying to pull up my dress. Obviously this is a little sketchy, but expected in a night club. But this guy totally had a hard on. It totally sketched me out, because he wanted to make it as obvious as possible that he was hard.

I made my escape, and decided I would stop getting really into the dancing unless I was in a crowd of friends, because that was totally uncomfortable.
I am not the person who is doing tons of suggestive stuff on the dance floor (I am a little bit conservative in public), I just like to do my best Shakira impressions.

Now that I am on the market again, I totally miss going to clubs and dancing the night away, but not ready to totally switch and only going to salsa clubs where the crowd is a little older. I still like dancing to dancehall/hip hop/reggaeton.

So ladies - have you had sketchy experiences at the club? How do you handle it? Do you still dance as hard as you did when you were younger? Men, how are you approaching women on the dance floor? How do you get your groove on without looking like a creep.
Well...the last "club" I was in broke out in a biker fight. One of them punched the other in the back of the head with a pair of brass knucks. What a mess!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 PM

4,338 posts, read 6,299,466 times
Quote:
There is nothing worse than being the only woman in a club/party full of men (unless it's a gay club!)
Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or