Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM

474 posts, read 495,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Yes they do lol. Even when they let the girls in for free. Normally a fight at the end.
It's funny you mention that because I was at this desi party once where one of my friends flirted and successfully got an American girl interested in him, now when they tried to dance by themselves they got a bunch of desperate desi guys grinding alongside them. When he asked for privacy, they started being the typical douchebags you expect to see in a place like that and at the end of it, our group and their group had a war of words. It could have escalated to a physical brawl but then the bouncer was waiting to throw us all out, so we left it at that. I don't have to of course mention the fact that the girl left the place disgusted(my friend got her number by then however).

I promised myself that was the last desi party I would ever go to, this was in Philadelphia by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Why is that?
It is like being on stage. There are so few men, that they are all staring at everything you do. Awkward. And let's pretend you find on guy you are into. You might move a little bit closer to his group. Then suddenly the nearby groups will think you are into them, and then all his friends won't give him space to talk to you, so it is doubly like you are on display.

It is way too intimidating. Combine that with the sketchy guy dancing behavior, and it is not a fun night. I find the higher the ratio of men to women in the club, the higher the likelihood is that someone in the crown is going to be the type to initiate inappropriate contact. Sometimes it is fairly low level, but other times it is ridiculous.

And even though the ratio is in your favor, it is so stressful to meet someone, you might as well not go.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
It's funny you mention that because I was at this desi party once where one of my friends flirted and successfully got an American girl interested in him, now when they tried to dance by themselves they got a bunch of desperate desi guys grinding alongside them. When he asked for privacy, they started being the typical douchebags you expect to see in a place like that and at the end of it, our group and their group had a war of words. It could have escalated to a physical brawl but then the bouncer was waiting to throw us all out, so we left it at that. I don't have to of course mention the fact that the girl left the place disgusted(my friend got her number by then however).

I promised myself that was the last desi party I would ever go to, this was in Philadelphia by the way.
I have not been to a desi party since like 2000. I think the desi parties are the same scenerio anywhere on the planet. What do you think?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I have not been to a desi party since like 2000. I think the desi parties are the same scenerio anywhere on the planet. What do you think?
You are right, they are pretty much the same everywhere. A conservative Indian upbringing devoid of casual mingling with the opposite sex greatly contributes to that, one of the biggest drawbacks of traditional Indian upbringing.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 PM

Women like to show skin and like to show off to men. Few men really? I thought there are more women then men? Quit wearing revealing clothes and they won't stare. What is a sketchy guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is like being on stage. There are so few men, that they are all staring at everything you do. Awkward. And let's pretend you find on guy you are into. You might move a little bit closer to his group. Then suddenly the nearby groups will think you are into them, and then all his friends won't give him space to talk to you, so it is doubly like you are on display.

It is way too intimidating. Combine that with the sketchy guy dancing behavior, and it is not a fun night. I find the higher the ratio of men to women in the club, the higher the likelihood is that someone in the crown is going to be the type to initiate inappropriate contact. Sometimes it is fairly low level, but other times it is ridiculous.

And even though the ratio is in your favor, it is so stressful to meet someone, you might as well not go.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
You are right, they are pretty much the same everywhere. A conservative Indian upbringing devoid of casual mingling with the opposite sex greatly contributes to that, one of the biggest drawbacks of traditional Indian upbringing.
Gen-X after newer are hardly traditional anymore.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Gen-X after newer are hardly traditional anymore.
Yeah this generation is different, people are much more outgoing and almost everyone I know has gone on multiple dates before. It only becomes a problem if too many indian men in the 35-40 age range come to the dance floor but I think most of them aren't really interested in that stuff anyway.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
What is a sketchy guy?
There are a few potential scenarios, but here is the most common on in a club. There are some people that are subtle when checking someone out. There are other people that make you feel extremely uncomfortable.

They stare too long and make gestures at you. Some point to their genitals with a special look, other people make you feel like they are busy undressing you mentally (sometimes this is a turn on but not that often). And other ones touch you inappropriately when you walk by.

Basically they give you creep vibes without even saying a word.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah this generation is different, people are much more outgoing and almost everyone I know has gone on multiple dates before. It only becomes a problem if too many indian men in the 35-40 age range come to the dance floor but I think most of them aren't really interested in that stuff anyway.
Haha. Those old uncles who don't use deodorant, have tons of colongue and oil in their hair, slacks with tennis shoes.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are a few potential scenarios, but here is the most common on in a club. There are some people that are subtle when checking someone out. There are other people that make you feel extremely uncomfortable.

They stare too long and make gestures at you. Some point to their genitals with a special look, other people make you feel like they are busy undressing you mentally (sometimes this is a turn on but not that often). And other ones touch you inappropriately when you walk by.

Basically they give you creep vibes without even saying a word.
Sometimes the problem is the girl not the guy if they are uncomfortable. Like I said earlier, quit wearing revealing clothes and look decent and the guys won't stare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships