U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 PM

17,290 posts, read 11,992,027 times

Advertisements

All throughout my teens and mid 20s I loved to go out and dance. And then as I got a little older, I was much less excited about going out dancing, because of the clubs!

I used to be the person getting down on the dance floor (I am a pretty good dancer), but now I save all my best dance moves for weddings, parties where I know most people, dance or fitness classes or at home.

Not sure if it is a function of becoming more inhibited, or more jaded by the behavior of the random people at the club.

The last straw for me, in terms of getting down on the dance floor came when I went clubbing for a b-day party, I was dancing with my friends and a strange guy came up, started grinding on me and trying to pull up my dress. Obviously this is a little sketchy, but expected in a night club. But this guy totally had a hard on. It totally sketched me out, because he wanted to make it as obvious as possible that he was hard.

I made my escape, and decided I would stop getting really into the dancing unless I was in a crowd of friends, because that was totally uncomfortable.
I am not the person who is doing tons of suggestive stuff on the dance floor (I am a little bit conservative in public), I just like to do my best Shakira impressions.

Now that I am on the market again, I totally miss going to clubs and dancing the night away, but not ready to totally switch and only going to salsa clubs where the crowd is a little older. I still like dancing to dancehall/hip hop/reggaeton.

So ladies - have you had sketchy experiences at the club? How do you handle it? Do you still dance as hard as you did when you were younger? Men, how are you approaching women on the dance floor? How do you get your groove on without looking like a creep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 PM

1,425 posts, read 892,496 times
I dance my underwears off.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,111,217 times
Nothing. I avoid the dance floor.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,200,813 times
I used to have that same problem going to the typical hip hop/dance club. Guys would just grab me and almost have their way with me but then I'd run away..so creepy! So now I just go 2 stepping..haven't gone salsa dancing yet but that sounds fun too. Men are polite in these environments and politely ask for the dance and don't grab you in places that you don't grab a stranger. Also, if they want to be able to coordinate their dance moves, their less likely to be smashed drunk too even if they have had a little bit to drink. way better for me. I don't do the hip hop/dance clubs anymore..gross.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 PM

8,907 posts, read 7,157,854 times
Never danced and have no desire to. Dancing is one of those social things I don't "get".

Old 03-10-2012, 12:51 PM

345 posts, read 483,788 times
I used to love dancing,but I haven't been to a club in years. I might be more likely to go if there was a place where older folks could go to dance. (I'm 48)

As far as the ladies went,I would approach and politely ask if they wanted to dance. I never just jumped in front of them and started dancing with them.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 PM

17,290 posts, read 11,992,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I used to have that same problem going to the typical hip hop/dance club. Guys would just grab me and almost have their way with me but then I'd run away..so creepy! So now I just go 2 stepping..haven't gone salsa dancing yet but that sounds fun too. Men are polite in these environments and politely ask for the dance and don't grab you in places that you don't grab a stranger. Also, if they want to be able to coordinate their dance moves, their less likely to be smashed drunk too even if they have had a little bit to drink. way better for me. I don't do the hip hop/dance clubs anymore..gross.
We don't have 2-step places. They only have 2-step nights occasionally! I want to try it.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,200,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We don't have 2-step places. They only have 2-step nights occasionally! I want to try it.
what a bummer! they're so much fun! Its a common thing in the southwest, probably even in southern states as well. I don't know about the rest of the country though.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 PM

4,406 posts, read 2,222,094 times
I can't dance and I have no desire in making myself look like a fool. No thanks.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 PM

8,739 posts, read 4,897,028 times
I don't like dancing. I never thought it was fun & everyone else did.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 03-10-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships