Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,006,000 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm, anyone else notice that the OP is missing in action AGAIN?

This seems to be his usual thing. Start a controversial topic, post a couple of times, then disappear and watch the drama unfold.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
People are snobbish in Oakland too lol
LOL, true but in a different way than Pleasanton.

Oakland snobs are like "all my food is organic and local, I got this from my artist friend/trip to <insert random country here>, only people who are into <scene XYZ> know about this. :P

It is really easy to avoid Oakland snobs.

Pleasanton people are more snobby about brands, appearances and keeping up with the Jones'

Old 03-10-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Bollywood has ALWAYS showed light skin girls and guys. They are obsessed with it. They think that being light skin means pretty but that is changing now. Look at Bipasha Basu and Kajol. They are dark but still they aren't that dark though. Camera and makeup can easily make them look light.
So annoying. They always find someone darker, then adjust the lighting so they look lighter. So typical. (Happens in black media too)

Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,801,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
What does where you're from have anything to do with it?

You know that most of the people in New York are not from New York, right?

And what does that have to do with blaming your entire life's ill fortune on your skin color?
It all ties in to what I told Nyanna about the African and Carribean immigrants not to hung up on skin color like the southeast Usa is.
The only people I see who are hung up on skin color are some Hispanics and black americans(some). I have not heard it too much from Africans.

People in parts of the Usa think different,with cultural norms specific to each region.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,298,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
If you don't feel this is an issue to you as a black woman, you can't tell someone else it's not an issue for them. If you can't relate to it, why keep downplaying it for someone else?
No one's trying to downplay colorism...just people who seem to ascribe to it an undue amount of their misfortune in their personal life.

Am I trying to downplay racism if a 30 year old black man tells me that the reason he hasn't married, graduated high school, been in and out of prison, and ever had a steady job has to do with his skin color and I reject that?

Sounds extreme, but some women seem to ascribe that much importance to their skin color to the exclusion of other factors.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Some white guys on the bodybuilding forum was saying Gabrielle Union looks mixed. I look at her face and see she kinda has a pointy nose.
See.... why do we go through all of the analysis.....

She's an attractive woman... why break down ever friggin thing about her...... Oh, she's mixed, or she has a pointy nose....

Jeeze.....

Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,498,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL, true but in a different way than Pleasanton.

Oakland snobs are like "all my food is organic and local, I got this from my artist friend/trip to <insert random country here>, only people who are into <scene XYZ> know about this. :P

It is really easy to avoid Oakland snobs.

Pleasanton people are more snobby about brands, appearances and keeping up with the Jones'
Palo Alto too. Not East PA. I like Fremont though.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,801,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
If you don't feel this is an issue to you as a black woman, you can't tell someone else it's not an issue for them. If you can't relate to it, why keep downplaying it for someone else?
XXXababee chick isn't black American. she is Caribbean.

Maybe that's the reason for the different experiences?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 PM

620 posts, read 1,298,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It all ties in to what I told Nyanna about the African and Carribean immigrants not to hung up on skin color like the southeast Usa is.
The only people I see who are hung up on skin color are some Hispanics and black americans(some). I have not heard it too much from Africans.

People in parts of the Usa think different,with cultural norms specific to each region.
I know that it happens in Africa, too. There is a South African singer who has chronicled her campaign to become lighter skinned so she can be a global star.

South African Singer Bleaches Skin, Has a ‘Passion For Whiteness’ | Clutch Magazine

Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Ah ok. Not many Blacks in San Jo you know lol
Yup. Don't get me started on the weirdness in San Jose. My neighborhood had about 3 black families. The other two were biracial couples. So my class had 3 black students (me and the other 2). In I think it was 2nd grade, they started bussing in kids from East San Jose. Mostly Latino and black. Suddenly people thought I lived in East San Jose. (Because obviously, they other black kids did. *rolls eyes*) I don't recall any Latino kids. IT was pretty white. Eventually we got maybe 2 or 3 Indian kids, and there were maybe 5 Asian kids in my grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.