U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:01 AM

523 posts, read 1,882,525 times
Default Robbing the cradle

So I was out this past weekend eating my 2nd dinner with some friends and I decided it would be fun to flirt with the waiter. There was something gross in my water so I returned it and asked him to make it up to me by giving me my martini on the house. When the bill came, he said he couldn't take the martini off of my bill so my friend told him that he would have to give me a back massage, instead. So, after he washed his hands and asked his manager's permission, he gave me a 2 minutes massage at the table :-). My friends asked him how old he was and he said 23 (which is what I had guessed) and they said, "awww, 'cause her limit is 26." Anyway, in the end, my friend wrote my phone # on the bill and he actually ended up coming over on the way out (before seeing my phone number) with his "business card." It was actually really cute and he was really cute but he's 23! I'm 30, btw!

I realize that 30 year old guys date 23 year old women all the time (in fact so do 40 and 50 year old guys--yuck.) But is it ridiculous of me to go out with him? My friends said that we look the same age so it wouldn't be an issue of people looking at us crazy if we went out together. I'm pretty sure this couldn't possibly turn into anything serious but I'm not having an easy time finding anyone my own age to date. Two years ago, I tried dating a 22 year old and I felt like that was ridiculous but I was in a college town and there wasn't anyone single my age there so it was more of a companionship thing. But now, I'm a different decade! As usual, I'm curious about everyone's thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM

5,742 posts, read 13,920,568 times
GO FOR IT!!! I personally wouldn't take it too seriously (23 year old men IMO generally aren't ready for marriage, kids, etc.) but it could be a heck of a lot of fun.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 AM

7,064 posts, read 11,300,343 times
Have fun. Go out a few times. It's not like it's going to turn into a serious relationship.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 AM

270 posts, read 916,965 times
nothing wrong with that Im 32 and my wife is 26 we are 6 years apart no big deal and as long as you 2 are ok with it then it is ok

Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM

1,923 posts, read 6,084,137 times
It's a little early to be thinking yay or nay on whether it will be serious.
No one can say what the outcome will be.
I don't think I have ever gone into a relationship thinking "this is the one!!".

Just have fun...be yourself...don't put so much of an emphasis on what could be...just let it happen. Things happen when you least expect it.
And really, who cares about the age difference?

On a side note...my last serious relationship he was 12 yrs younger than I.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 23,828,896 times
I think you'd better go out with him...if nothing else, to get over the age difference issue you seem to have. Don't worry about what the "others" are gonna think. You keep that up and you may be sitting there feeling lonely for a long time to come. There are no set of rules stating anyone has to be within a certain age limit. Live your life for you...not what others think you should or should not do. You never know...it might be the relationship of a lifetime. Seems like a nice enough guy from what info you've given us. Do yourself (and maybe him) a favor...go out with him! Of course he may or may not be at your level of maturity...but then he may be more mature than his age. You'll never know until you take the plunge. Go for it!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,836,633 times
I know people get stuck on numbers but I really think that one should take into consideration the maturity/intellectual capacity of both parties and give people a chance... even if they are older/younger. A 23 year old may have something more to offer than their age would suggest.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:11 PM

1,923 posts, read 6,084,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I think you'd better go out with him...if nothing else, to get over the age difference issue you seem to have. Don't worry about what the "others" are gonna think. You keep that up and you may be sitting there feeling lonely for a long time to come

Exactly!...

Life is too short for missed opportunities....

Old 09-10-2007, 12:36 PM

786 posts, read 8,755 times
That age difference isn't even noteworthy. Now go ride 'em cowgirl and report back.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 PM

7,170 posts, read 7,256,792 times
When my dh and I met he was 26 and I was 34. It's never been an issue for us. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships