U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
 
775 posts, read 932,253 times
Reputation: 1425

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Actually, I don't see being well educated and staying home to take care of your children as a "waste of an education". Studies clearly show that the intelligence of children correlates with maternal intelligence/education more then paternal. It makes sense when you think about it. Your impact on the development and early education of your kids is likely more profound then your husband's when you stay at home, leading to more intelligent kids who will ultimately be better contributors to society. And because of your education, you will likely have more success in obtaining a job later in life, once the kids are out of the house.

So part of me loves it when I see these wealthy successful men with their silly (uneducated..) trophy wives, who go on to have kids who are dysfunctional/less intelligent/less successful. Regression to the mean....
I guess I'm looking at it more from the mom's perspective. How much she benefits from the education rather than her children, since she's the one working for it. People go to college for various reasons but I'm sure very few are doing it so that their future children can be smart. I see your point, but I still think it's a waste.

 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Mammoth Lakes, CA
3,074 posts, read 6,472,895 times
Reputation: 7050
Quote:
No, I wasn't born in the 20s. I'm aware there are still men like this, though, and I don't care to associate with them.
Yup. +10.
 
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
 
574 posts, read 777,467 times
Reputation: 529
Heavens NO! Why would I want to have to provide everything? I'd view her as a total liability.
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
 
6,241 posts, read 5,692,314 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
Heavens NO! Why would I want to have to provide everything? I'd view her as a total liability.
But her staying at home, while you provide her everything, has value according to the court. Therefore, the law gives those women the right to take half or more of what you worked for if divorce comes knocking at your door.
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
 
775 posts, read 932,253 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
But her staying at home, while you provide her everything, has value according to the court. Therefore, the law gives those women the right to take half or more of what you worked for if divorce comes knocking at your door.
I'm guessing this is why it would be a liability.
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 19,622,938 times
Reputation: 22089
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
Heavens NO! Why would I want to have to provide everything? I'd view her as a total liability.
You would view your wife and the mother of your children a liability because she stayed at home and RAISED your children?

I don't think there is a wrong or right way to do things - it depends on the couple. However - if the husband makes enough money and yet he would view his wife as a liability - I question the healthiness of the marriage.
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,264 posts, read 84,655,469 times
Reputation: 39634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You would view your wife and the mother of your children a liability because she stayed at home and RAISED your children?

I don't think there is a wrong or right way to do things - it depends on the couple. However - if the husband makes enough money and yet he would view his wife as a liability - I question the healthiness of the marriage.
See, here's the thing (Mod cut: rude, personal barbs), let these young guys actually FIND a woman willing to marry them and then see what they have to say

Right now their "opinions" mean nothing. It's like a high school football player thinking he can tell the NFL MVP how to play football

ANY man who would view his wife as a liability should never plan to marry, especially because decent worthwhile women wouldn't have him.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-13-2012 at 08:34 PM..
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM
 
6,241 posts, read 5,692,314 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
I'm guessing this is why it would be a liability.
We're talking about just the wife, no children in the picture. Still, the court values her work more than yours and therefore gives her the right to take half or more of what you worked for. If you are dating a woman who seems to be the one that would be staying at home while you work, and you don't like that, then it must be a good time for you to look for a different kind of woman.
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
20,810 posts, read 21,905,081 times
Reputation: 43069
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
We're talking about just the wife, no children in the picture. Still, the court values her work more than yours and therefore gives her the right to take half or more of what you worked for.
No, it's because in the eyes of the court a married couple are a single unit, not two individuals: one with an income and a freeloader. When the unit splits, the assets are divided in half.
 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 19,622,938 times
Reputation: 22089
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No, it's because in the eyes of the court a married couple are a single unit, not two individuals: one with an income and a freeloader. When the unit splits, the assets are divided in half.
But didn't you know that a person's value is in direct correlation to how much money they make? So a stay at home mom is worthless since she doesn't make any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top