U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
 
460 posts, read 550,338 times
Reputation: 741

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Last post - I promise, Sierra! After this I'm not even going to look in this thread again.

My computer is in the kitchen. We have an open kitchen, dining, family room set up. After I wake up, breastfeed my little one, change him, pump, and take the dog out - I turn on the computer and put my little guy in is saucer. I check my email and do some posting. Then I get our breakfasts ready. We eat our breakfast then I put him on the floor so he can crawl around and explore. Then I clean the dishes - 3 bowls, 3 spoons, a storage container that my oatmeal was in, a glass, and all the pump equipment. Then I changed his diaper again and changed his clothes because he had pooped through his clothes! Then I let him roam around again while trying to keep him away from the dog who he likes to grab. Then he started getting fussy so I put him down for his nap in his car seat - he loves to sleep in his car seat. Then I took him down to the basement with me while I ran for 25 minutes on the treadmill. Then I brought him back upstairs and called the hotel I'll be staying at this weekend to make sure of some details. Then I breastfed him again, changed his diaper, and put him back in his saucer. Then I'll take a shower, feed us again, then go on a walk for a half hour to an hour with the little guy and the dog. Hopefully my little guy will be in a happy enough mood for me to take him to the grocery store with me later. I leave the computer on all day and so after I do something - I check on things and leave a post or two. It's a nice way to feel like I'm having interaction with people during my day. Needless to say - I don't park myself in front of the computer all day and just sit here and post. I don't have the time for that.
I do the same thing. I also feel lonely being home all day without adult interaction. I think that's why I tend to gravitate to message boards. The parenting message boards begin to drive me crazy after awhile (same junk repeated over and over again) and I find this board more diverse and entertaining.

 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 77,236,811 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
I do the same thing. I also feel lonely being home all day without adult interaction.
Me, too - on the weekend days when I'm home cleaning, doing laundry, grooming, etc. If you look at my history, you'd think I posted all day, but all the stuff gets done in the meantime. I'm sure many of us do that.
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,603,258 times
Reputation: 7507
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
I do the same thing. I also feel lonely being home all day without adult interaction. I think that's why I tend to gravitate to message boards. The parenting message boards begin to drive me crazy after awhile (same junk repeated over and over again) and I find this board more diverse and entertaining.

Have you ever thought about inviting other stay at home mothers in your neighborhood to your home and you all 'staying at home' together or helping each other with house work. At least there's other adults around for the day then.
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
543 posts, read 974,846 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Miss Crabcakes...I grew up in an entirely different environment than you... me and my friends all had moms who stayed at home....I don't agree with you when you say that one parent works and pays for everything...not at all....my mom may not have worked out of the house..but her work in the house was (at least) as valuable to our home as my "working" fathers was....I feel that she may not have "made" any money....but the money she "saved"..by staying home with us children, was huge...I feel that children should have at least one of their parents at home to guide them.....I also believe if you choose to stay home with the little ones yourself (rather than pay someone else)you'll have chosen the most difficult...yet rewarding job..you'll probably ever know.
I absolutely agree! When there are kids involved, raising them should be the priority. Feeding and clothing them is just a part of it. Reading, exploring, teaching them responsibility and that they are loved helps them see themselves through their parents' eyes.

They grow so fast and "giving up" a career for a season may well be worth it -

My Mom worked all my growing up, but she was a teacher and had the summers off. During the winter, I was raised by cleaning ladies (I loved them dearly), and my grandmother. I missed my Mom. Yet, when she wasn't working, she was crabby and cranky. It helps if the parent staying home is a pleasant person!!
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
 
460 posts, read 550,338 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Have you ever thought about inviting other stay at home mothers in your neighborhood to your home and you all 'staying at home' together or helping each other with house work. At least there's other adults around for the day then.
With my first, I made a group of friends through the internet (meetup) in my area and we did weekly playgroups. It was great. No cleaning involved. I don't think anyone would have been comfortable with that. Now that those kids are all older, we don't do that anymore. The kids are all in preschool with at least one other sibling. The younger siblings have varying nap schedules that conflict wildly with the older kids' activities, etc. I'm hoping once the baby moves to a once a day nap schedule that we can begin to do more things outside the home again.
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Location: southwest TN
8,182 posts, read 14,300,883 times
Reputation: 14787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I thought I did. But I was wrong. If a woman can stay at home full time, with or without kids, she is not a very interesting person. If she is, she will make mischief, which is probably worse.
This is possibly the least intelligent comment. What makes you think that some guy who goes to work is interesting? Mischief? You gave this what, minus 50 seconds of thought?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
THIS is the right attitude

The marriage and family should come first, and wise couples do what it takes to make that happen.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
In my opinion there is a huge difference between being a stay at home Mother and a stay at home wife.

I agree.

Staying at home to look after your children is beneficial, staying at home to play housewife is lazy. uh oh - heading into trouble-land. While two people can be working and building equity and a good financial base, they should be doing that. There is simply no excuse for women to stay at home and eat bonbons all day.
eating bonbons is disgusting - those things don't taste good. I'd rather eat some oranges. A

Actually, there are reasons for a partner to stay at home sometimes. Equity can be built with savings, not just earned income. If you don't spend money because you're putting in work to save, then it's the same as income. Let me explain:

I don't work - haven't for 14 years. So on the face of that, I am a drain financially. NOT SO! Where 2 people's food bills would be, on average, $500 per month, I have ours down to $200/month and we eat very well. I love to bake and cook and create. If I worked at a job with a salary, we'd eat out far more often than we do now and buy more convenience foods.

Now let's look at this: a couple wants to go on vacation: they have to put in lots of plans to arrange for the same time off which means they also have to plan their vacation which means they can not take advantage of last minute deals.

Now factor in the income taxes owed on 2 salaries as opposed to one. Even if the couple is not married, so not paying the marriage penalty tax, and assuming they are making equal salaries, 1/2 of that income tax could be saved if one person "sat at home eating bonbons" and being lazy. But if that person is also using their time productively, the taxes saved are not the only savings - food/groceries, time, expenses from simply having 2 people work and no time for the every day things so you pay for the convenience of things.

No one is spending time checking out the sales and saving money if both work, therefore everything costs more than if one does not work.

My husband and his former wife had more income than he and I have had. She worked - her clothes cost more, she had transportation expenses, she was a professional so she had business expenses. They were in debt. She left to "have the life she wanted". He had barely contributed to his 401K, there was no savings, and lots of debt. I moved in, budgeted, balanced, worked my old azz off and he is retiring at age 57. We bought a house, paid cash for a car, are buying a van for the move, took a 15 yr mortg and in 2 years have it reduced to 10 years while still building the 401K.

LAZY? Djuna I love you - but you have no idea.
 
Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,219,676 times
Reputation: 39684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Last post - I promise, Sierra! After this I'm not even going to look in this thread again.

My computer is in the kitchen. We have an open kitchen, dining, family room set up. After I wake up, breastfeed my little one, change him, pump, and take the dog out - I turn on the computer and put my little guy in is saucer. I check my email and do some posting. Then I get our breakfasts ready. We eat our breakfast then I put him on the floor so he can crawl around and explore. Then I clean the dishes - 3 bowls, 3 spoons, a storage container that my oatmeal was in, a glass, and all the pump equipment. Then I changed his diaper again and changed his clothes because he had pooped through his clothes! Then I let him roam around again while trying to keep him away from the dog who he likes to grab. Then he started getting fussy so I put him down for his nap in his car seat - he loves to sleep in his car seat. Then I took him down to the basement with me while I ran for 25 minutes on the treadmill. Then I brought him back upstairs and called the hotel I'll be staying at this weekend to make sure of some details. Then I breastfed him again, changed his diaper, and put him back in his saucer. Then I'll take a shower, feed us again, then go on a walk for a half hour to an hour with the little guy and the dog. Hopefully my little guy will be in a happy enough mood for me to take him to the grocery store with me later. I leave the computer on all day and so after I do something - I check on things and leave a post or two. It's a nice way to feel like I'm having interaction with people during my day. Needless to say - I don't park myself in front of the computer all day and just sit here and post. I don't have the time for that.
Sounds like what I do - post on the fly, not actually sit at the computer all day.
 
Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,866 posts, read 7,083,061 times
Reputation: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sounds like what I do - post on the fly, not actually sit at the computer all day.
Funny! I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a pretty leisurely day.
 
Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,088 posts, read 20,576,914 times
Reputation: 20419
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sounds like what I do - post on the fly, not actually sit at the computer all day.

Ironic. Im not a stay at home, I sit in front of a computer all day at work (that hard thing husbands do) and I have time to post on CD all day.
 
Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Austin
4,103 posts, read 5,900,890 times
Reputation: 6686
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sounds like what I do - post on the fly, not actually sit at the computer all day.
Yeap! It's called multitasking to those who think we don't move. If I was sitting the whole time while on here my house would be on Hoarders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top