U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,210,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I believe you are correct in this, but getting the ladies to be honest about it to themselves is a big step. It's as if they don't want to admit the intrinsic and instictive modes are alive and well inside.
That simply isn't true. I know for myself I hated staying at home, it was boring and mindless work for me. I know many other women who felt the same way as I did. They enjoyed being in the workforce, interacting with adults and earning money.

Each to their own, some people like staying at home, others don't. At least, as women today, have a choice in the matter. If this were 100 years ago we'd all be at home barefoot and pregnant.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,693,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't get this sentiment.

I've worked outside the home for years, know the world of navigating high-pressure careers. If I become a parent and go on sabbatical to be home with my child, for whatever length of time I deem fit, I don't suddenly become a less intelligent person with only "a couple of brain cells to rub together." I think that it bears saying that parenting full-time is a choice, and one that can be made by intelligent, motivated people who find it to be the choice most in line with their priorities. The argument that it's the refuge of lazy morons with no job experience or ability is just plain meanspirited, as well as inaccurate.

I'm actually really proud of my mom, too (put her own career on hold to raise four children full-time, reentering the workforce when I went to college/my youngest sibling entered middle school). She was awfully selfless, but stuck to her guns and made a hard choice- to pause her own career in favor of something she found more personally important, with the knowledge that the choice would be disrespected by many and would represent a sacrifice of income. I really respect her convictions. Many couldn't/wouldn't make those sacrifices.
Well put and I agree.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM

22,467 posts, read 21,493,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
I am so grateful that she wasn't a SAHM. Anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together can do that.

I think I turned out really good, too.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM

10,892 posts, read 12,935,194 times
Sounds chill right about now. lol

Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM

15,352 posts, read 8,600,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Where do you find these men that not only earn a lot but are willing to take that kind of financial responsibility on?
We met and married as college students.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,693,248 times
As a mother of four who did the same thing as your mom, I want to say "thank you" for a spot-on post!!!!! I chose raising my children above having a career and do not regret it for a moment. It simple comes down to your priorities for a lot of parents. I know. We lived on one income and it wasn't an executive level pay. We became the masters of frugal living, did without material things that many can't live without.....

Today, my now grown kids with their own ladder climbing jobs reminisce fondly about the days when we lived the "little house on the prairie" existence as they recall it.....

Makes an old mom smile.....

Old 03-22-2012, 02:29 PM

157 posts, read 277,055 times
Well, if I can afford to support the both of us, then I don't mind if I have a stay at home wife. Especially if we have kids. I would rather that she's there with them instead of taking them to a babysitter in the morning. If I can't though, then homegirl is going to have a 9 to 5.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,374,339 times
Yes but she has to do her duties and I will do mine

Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM

38,540 posts, read 37,639,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
That simply isn't true. I know for myself I hated staying at home, it was boring and mindless work for me. I know many other women who felt the same way as I did. They enjoyed being in the workforce, interacting with adults and earning money.

Each to their own, some people like staying at home, others don't. At least, as women today, have a choice in the matter. If this were 100 years ago we'd all be at home barefoot and pregnant.

I think the real key, is like you said, women today have a choice. Women in western cultures are doing well.

Same can't be said for other parts of the world. Some of the oppression and brutally is mind numbing... in 2012 women are still be stoned to death for nonsense like being raped and "dishonoring" the family.

Some sick twisted and f ing warped thinking out there.....

Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM

11,867 posts, read 7,993,445 times
I'd personally prefer a women who wants to work no mater how much money I made. It's been my experience that women get bored & stressed out quickly, not saying all women here but when they get bored they tend to want some excitement which bodes badly for the marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or