U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM
 
5,485 posts, read 6,073,404 times
Reputation: 5793

Advertisements

Dont you people think that its natural for a mother to take care of her children? Do you not observe nature and see exact same scenario replicated by pretty much every species of living animals? Everyone has a free will and can do as they please, but mother not staying home to take care of her children, is the oddity here - not the other way around.

 
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,015 posts, read 20,519,392 times
Reputation: 20379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I don't think its the increased prices, because wages are also much higher than they were 50 years ago. I think its the addition of things that people consider "necessities" these days that didn't exist or didn't happen as often back then.....cable/satellite TV, internet, cell phones, multiple cars, newer and bigger houses, expensive vacations, frequent eating out, multiple extracurricular activities, etc etc etc.

One of the most expensive costs is daycare. And unless both parents earn a hefty salary, daycare costs wipe out a majority of the second income anyways, especially for more than 1 child.
Thats not always so. I work with a couple who had their first child two yrs ago and they are expecting twins now. This guy is somewhat of a miser so he has calculated daycare costs and said they still would have more money if his wife works than they would if she decides to stay home with the kids.
 
Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
822 posts, read 963,642 times
Reputation: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Dont you people think that its natural for a mother to take care of her children? Do you not observe nature and see exact same scenario replicated by pretty much every species of living animals? Everyone has a free will and can do as they please, but mother not staying home to take care of her children, is the oddity here - not the other way around.
Biologically it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, modern feminist idealism has tried to subvert biology and make women feel bad about wanting to care for their children. The media shaming Ann Romney, for instance...literally incomprehensible.
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,936 posts, read 13,544,743 times
Reputation: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats not always so. I work with a couple who had their first child two yrs ago and they are expecting twins now. This guy is somewhat of a miser so he has calculated daycare costs and said they still would have more money if his wife works than they would if she decides to stay home with the kids.
Even then, I still think its worth it for a parent to be home to raise the kids as opposed to 9+ hours in a daycare center year-round. The limited time each night home with the kids when both parents work is not adequate enough time to help with school work and just to spend quality time with them. We've sacrificed by living in an older home, not driving the latest cars, and while we do take a vacation to the beach every summer, we're not going to Hawaii, the Bahamas, or Disney. And we keep eating out to a once-in-a-while thing, not a regular occurrence.
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,015 posts, read 20,519,392 times
Reputation: 20379
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Dont you people think that its natural for a mother to take care of her children? Do you not observe nature and see exact same scenario replicated by pretty much every species of living animals? Everyone has a free will and can do as they please, but mother not staying home to take care of her children, is the oddity here - not the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Biologically it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, modern feminist idealism has tried to subvert biology and make women feel bad about wanting to care for their children. The media shaming Ann Romney, for instance...literally incomprehensible.
I always find it amusing how people broadly look at animals and suggest that humans should mimic their behaviors because its "natural". There are speceis that do not care for their young at all, there are species where the male cares for the young and species where both male and female care for the young equally, species where there is one male for dozens of females and males with kill or abort offspring of another male. There are animals that eat their young. So the "nature" biological point is moot.

Feminism, really. No one thinks its a bad idea to care for your children. One can care for their children without being with them 24/7. Not sure if you were watching the same media as I was, but no one was shaming Ann Romney for being a SAHM.
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 AM
 
5,485 posts, read 6,073,404 times
Reputation: 5793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Biologically it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, modern feminist idealism has tried to subvert biology and make women feel bad about wanting to care for their children. The media shaming Ann Romney, for instance...literally incomprehensible.
I agree, it has caused irreversible damage to our civilization. Women should naturaly embrace their role as mothers and caretakers, because that is who they are. Screwed up world we live in, isnt it?
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,015 posts, read 20,519,392 times
Reputation: 20379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Even then, I still think its worth it for a parent to be home to raise the kids as opposed to 9+ hours in a daycare center year-round. The limited time each night home with the kids when both parents work is not adequate enough time to help with school work and just to spend quality time with them. We've sacrificed by living in an older home, not driving the latest cars, and while we do take a vacation to the beach every summer, we're not going to Hawaii, the Bahamas, or Disney. And we keep eating out to a once-in-a-while thing, not a regular occurrence.
That works for you. It may not for another couple. I agree that its good for a parent to be able to stay home. I havent read any studies lately but remember studies indicating that kids that go to daycare are and worse off than kids that were home with a parent. I dont believe most couples choose two incomes because of wanting big houses and expensive vacations, etc. It seem to me the couples that can afford big houses, brand new SUV's, expensive vacations, etc. are the ones whose income affords for the wife to be a SAHM as well.
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
 
5,485 posts, read 6,073,404 times
Reputation: 5793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I always find it amusing how people broadly look at animals and suggest that humans should mimic their behaviors because its "natural". There are speceis that do not care for their young at all, there are species where the male cares for the young and species where both male and female care for the young equally, species where there is one male for dozens of females and males with kill or abort offspring of another male. There are animals that eat their young. So the "nature" biological point is moot.

Feminism, really. No one thinks its a bad idea to care for your children. One can care for their children without being with them 24/7. Not sure if you were watching the same media as I was, but no one was shaming Ann Romney for being a SAHM.
Actualy that point stands. Out of millions of animal species there are very few where mother does not care for their offspring. In this instance, the exception proves the rule. The reason nature is brought into the conversation, is because some of you have completely lost their minds, and are completely out of touch with your role in this world.
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,936 posts, read 13,544,743 times
Reputation: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Feminism, really. No one thinks its a bad idea to care for your children. One can care for their children without being with them 24/7. Not sure if you were watching the same media as I was, but no one was shaming Ann Romney for being a SAHM.
Yeah right. The radical feminist movement looks down their noses at women who actually care for their children rather than leaving their kids in a daycare center. Its become programmed into people these days to look down at SAHMs as lazy and inferior. Its sad that a woman holding a 9-5 job is seen as more honorable than actually raising their own child. Mind you, I don't think it necessarily needs to be the mother home with the kids, if the mother is making more money, then dad should stay home with the kids.
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
822 posts, read 963,642 times
Reputation: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not sure if you were watching the same media as I was, but no one was shaming Ann Romney for being a SAHM.
What

Democrat's Ann Romney Comments Fan Campaign Flames - US News and World Report

Quote:
Hilary Rosen, a Democratic strategist with ties to, if not an official role with, top Democratic politicians, created a firestorm on Twitter and the cable networks when she said on CNN that Ann Romney had "never worked a day in her life."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top