U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 AM
 
15,732 posts, read 17,001,220 times
Reputation: 12726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
As many do. No judgment! Just don't oppose education, ok? It's not good.

Like I said, there's no need for me to "redefine" anything. Dictionaries are doing it for me. But I have a few people here insisting that "not earning income" is necessarily part of the definition of a stay-at-home parent/spouse, and curiously, no one can find a dictionary to concur... Yet I'm redefining and making things up, okay...
You are right Vic

 
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 AM
 
19,081 posts, read 20,940,061 times
Reputation: 13388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Okay, so your contention is that a stay-at-home who is also a parent is not necessarily a stay-at-home parent. Gotcha BTW, any luck finding a dictionary that specifies "who doesn't earn income"? No? Well then, what are you doing here?
I provided 3 sources of how SAHM/D/P is used in the US. That's all that's needed. Your inability to understand how the language is used is odd, but no matter. For example, all the political back and forth about Romney's wife being a SAHM will continue and nobody, but you, will be confused by what Romney, the Dems, and new reporters mean when they use the phrase SAHM.
 
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,865,130 times
Reputation: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I provided 3 sources of how SAHM/D/P is used in the US. That's all that's needed. Your inability to understand how the language is used is odd, but no matter. For example, all the political back and forth about Romney's wife being a SAHM will continue and nobody, but you, will be confused by what Romney, the Dems, and new reporters mean when they use the phrase SAHM.
No one will be confused, because (as I've repeatedly told you), I completely understand what most people mean by use of the term.

And your 3 sources did not support your argument. If you think they did, you should counter each of the replies I made to them directly (Post #489).

But if you've nothing new to say, I think we're done here. Your call, Braunwyn.
 
Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 AM
 
15,732 posts, read 17,001,220 times
Reputation: 12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I provided 3 sources of how SAHM/D/P is used in the US. That's all that's needed. Your inability to understand how the language is used is odd, but no matter. For example, all the political back and forth about Romney's wife being a SAHM will continue and nobody, but you, will be confused by what Romney, the Dems, and new reporters mean when they use the phrase SAHM.
English as a second language perhaps? Sometimes they can be very literal. My aunt (who is a stay at home mom...hmmm, does that mean she has an income or not ) has 3 children she adopted from Russia and when they first started learning the language they were very literal. They would pick apart phrases to try and find the meaning.

Something like "take a hike" was translated literally...LOL

Even my child, when he was younger, thought I literally meant he had to punch himself in the face when I said "knock yourself out" responding to his question about having some of his halloween candy.

That's the only thing I can think of.

Regardless, vic is right, we are wrong and that ends that debate. However, I wouldn't see what the big deal is (and why the OP posted) about having a stay at home wife if she was, afterall, earning an income while sitting at her desk in the home. Pages and pages of posters have assumed that as a stay at home, she was not doing this though.

So you are ALL WRONG in your assumptions! Foolish people!
 
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
 
19,081 posts, read 20,940,061 times
Reputation: 13388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No one will be confused, because (as I've repeatedly told you), I completely understand what most people mean by use of the term.

And your 3 sources did not support your argument. If you think they did, you should counter each of the replies I made to them directly (Post #489).

But if you've nothing new to say, I think we're done here. Your call, Braunwyn.
If you understand how these terms are used, I don't understand what you've been going about unless it's just to share how you interpret language I guess.
 
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM
 
19,081 posts, read 20,940,061 times
Reputation: 13388
You make good points. Perhaps one of those accounts for this silly conversation. Either way, I have to get back to work. Later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
English as a second language perhaps? Sometimes they can be very literal. My aunt (who is a stay at home mom...hmmm, does that mean she has an income or not ) has 3 children she adopted from Russia and when they first started learning the language they were very literal. They would pick apart phrases to try and find the meaning.

Something like "take a hike" was translated literally...LOL

Even my child, when he was younger, thought I literally meant he had to punch himself in the face when I said "knock yourself out" responding to his question about having some of his halloween candy.

That's the only thing I can think of.

Regardless, vic is right, we are wrong and that ends that debate. However, I wouldn't see what the big deal is (and why the OP posted) about having a stay at home wife if she was, afterall, earning an income while sitting at her desk in the home. Pages and pages of posters have assumed that as a stay at home, she was not doing this though.

So you are ALL WRONG in your assumptions! Foolish people!
 
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,865,130 times
Reputation: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If you understand how these terms are used, I don't understand what you've been going about unless it's just to share how you interpret language I guess.
Obviously, there are assumptions you and others make that people like me and Baldrick don't. Do you think we're the only two people in the country who think like this? I tried explaining why someone may use an alternative definition (weird to call it that, because it's closer to the technical definition than the assumptions made via popular usage are), but you dismissed it.

I'm taking the time to discuss it because in any difference of opinion, I believe the technical definition should be used (or at least allowed to be used!) But also, it's a stereotype. Since "not bringing in income for the family" is not part of the technical definition of the term, it should not be assumed that a SAHP does literally nothing in terms of income.

So you say, "We call them WAHPs". But what about parents who work at home one or two hours a day and bring in roughly 50 dollars a week? Not many would consider them a WAHP, but a SAHP. And because of this label, the assumption would be made: "They don't earn income; they leave it all up to the other person."

Perhaps we could all agree the whole thing's trivial, but that's why I thought I could simply give my take on the subject and... you know, not get into a five-page debate
 
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: NW Indiana
39,117 posts, read 14,170,315 times
Reputation: 98525
Thread is way off topic with a debate about the definition of "Stay-At-Home-Wife." Closed.
__________________
My posts as a Moderator will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS And check this out: FAQ
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
___________________________
~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top