Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM

500 posts, read 1,174,066 times

Advertisements

So, my long distance thing fizzled out again, and I decided it was time to move on for good. I met someone on a dating site last month, and we're getting along great. We've gone out on 6 dates thus far, and have been intimate. Everything is going extremely well in all aspects, except that that I feel very self conscious about eventually sleeping over or being in some other situation where I don't get to present myself in my best light with hair/makeup, etc (like out on his boat in the summer). He is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10, and I consider myself about a 5, so he's much more attractive than I am. I'm actually in awe that such a good looking guy is interested in me.

I've always just been very self conscious about my looks in general. I have a condition that causes extreme dark circles under my eyes that are barely hidden decently by heavy concealer. I also hate my skin (acne scars, uneven skin tone, breakouts). I hate being seen without makeup. Plus, I straighten my hair because it's got really weird texture (half straight, half wavy with cowlicks) and gets really oily overnight. In all, I look like a completely different person when I'm au naturale in the mornings, and I'm scared to death for him to see me like that. I'm afraid that he'll not be attracted to me anymore, even though everything else is going so well.

Has anybody been in this situation? What happened, what did you do, how did you get over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 03:48 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
I've wondered about this stuff as well. I'm a guy so I can't really provide any answers, but I've always been fascinated by the "night and day" effect of women's looks. You're definitely not alone in feeling like your looks fade first thing in the morning, tons of girls feel this way. Plus I'm sure he expects this.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
No point misleading the innocent guy any further. Show him how ugly you look in the morning at the very earliest. Be honest. For the best effects, snap a picture of you with your smartphone right when you wake up, with messy hair or thinner hair or no hair, boogers, dried drool and stuffed eyes.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I dunno. I guess don't go from Saturday night on the town look to morning dishevelment?

Go hiking or to the gym with him?

I feel you on the hair, my is the same.

I always work it into the coversation as a joke.... "I flatironed... I have evil banshee hair that might make small children cry!"

Old 02-11-2012, 06:33 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,883 times
Congrats on your new relationship, he sounds like a great catch. I don't think you need any advice, if you are convinced that you are a 5, and he already went out with you several times and things are looking good, he's probably not as shallow as you give him credit for.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM

391 posts, read 688,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Has anybody been in this situation? What happened, what did you do, how did you get over it?
If he turns out to be shallow and not interested in your total beauty, external as well as internal, then better to find that out early on.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
No point misleading the innocent guy any further. Show him how ugly you look in the morning at the very earliest. Be honest. For the best effects, snap a picture of you with your smartphone right when you wake up, with messy hair or thinner hair or no hair, boogers, dried drool and stuffed eyes.
I laughed so hard I shot wine out my nose.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Maybe he thinks you're a 10, and he thinks he's a 5. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I laughed so hard I shot wine out my nose.
She probably looks better than 5 in reality. Possibly PMSing and putting the audience through her motions.

If you are so damn concerned, give up the make up and go out au naturel. Pick the nose and smear it on the dude's collar.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
So, my long distance thing fizzled out again, and I decided it was time to move on for good. I met someone on a dating site last month, and we're getting along great. We've gone out on 6 dates thus far, and have been intimate. Everything is going extremely well in all aspects, except that that I feel very self conscious about eventually sleeping over or being in some other situation where I don't get to present myself in my best light with hair/makeup, etc (like out on his boat in the summer). He is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10, and I consider myself about a 5, so he's much more attractive than I am. I'm actually in awe that such a good looking guy is interested in me.

I've always just been very self conscious about my looks in general. I have a condition that causes extreme dark circles under my eyes that are barely hidden decently by heavy concealer. I also hate my skin (acne scars, uneven skin tone, breakouts). I hate being seen without makeup. Plus, I straighten my hair because it's got really weird texture (half straight, half wavy with cowlicks) and gets really oily overnight. In all, I look like a completely different person when I'm au naturale in the mornings, and I'm scared to death for him to see me like that. I'm afraid that he'll not be attracted to me anymore, even though everything else is going so well.

You sound like someone with extremely low self-esteem.

Do you really believe that you look THAT different than you do now? You think he can't see the "real" you underneath everything?

Get a grip and enjoy yourself.

If he's shallow to the point where he can't deal with your "dark" circles, then he's not someone you'd want to be with anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships