Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it appropriate for a man to "tell his date how to dress"?
Woman answering: It depends on what's said and how. 8 13.56%
Woman answering: It is inappropriate no matter what's said or how. 24 40.68%
Man answering: It depends on what's said and how. 19 32.20%
Man answering: It is inappropriate no matter what's said or how. 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Good grief! Stop trying to turn her into a man-hater

But you are making my point for me rather well, when you say this...
Man-hater? I have enough sense to know that not every man is like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
If she dresses like she's ready to go dance to "rack city", I won't complain at all about it but I won't treat her with any type of respect.

I make it known from the onset that I like quality, I love dressing up in tailored/custom outfits from time to time but if she feel's fine with wearing sweat pants that say couture on back of them...well I feel fine dropping her at that moment.

Here's the kicker, if she keeps a feminine appearance I don't have to tell her how to dress. It's not that she's keeping the appearance because of me, she's doing it because she takes pride in herself and how she looks.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What?? Explain please.
Certainly. You said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He waited several weeks before springing that on you, because he wanted you to get "into" him first. Once he believed he "had" you, then he'd tell you about all his "remodeling" he wanted done to yourself. Bastid.
Essentially, he waited until there was an emotional attachment, which is what enabled his controlling/"controlling" behavior to actually affect her in some way. But there's a considerable chance that he didn't even know he was the controlling type, and that he didn't strategically wait just to get her hooked before moving on to phase 2 in some ingenious plan to take over. If he'da made a certain supposed "social blunder" (telling her what he thinks right away, no restrictions), she would've known right away what she was getting into, before emotions could stand a chance of hindering an objective look and a swift kick out the door.

That's why I say you don't wait. You don't avoid expressing your feelings or strong preferences in lieu of ensuring the first dates lead to a relationship. You don't do it for fear of being labeled a jerk, either. Might just be abnormal, but it'd serve some invaluable practical purposes.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:

Essentially, he waited until there was an emotional attachment, which is what enabled his controlling/"controlling" behavior to actually affect her in some way. But there's a considerable chance that he didn't even know he was the controlling type, and that he didn't strategically wait just to get her hooked before moving on to phase 2 in some ingenious plan to take over. If he'da made a certain supposed "social blunder" (telling her what he thinks right away, no restrictions), she would've known right away what she was getting into, before emotions could stand a chance of hindering an objective look and a swift kick out the door.

That's why I say you don't wait. You don't avoid expressing your feelings or strong preferences in lieu of ensuring the first dates lead to a relationship. You don't do it for fear of being labeled a jerk, either. Might just be abnormal, but it'd serve some invaluable practical purposes.
Cool. I agree with the above.

At least everyone will know where they stand on things.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
I explained why expressing your preferences is not criticism already.

Of course it happens. This thread was inspired by someone else telling of it happening to her. I'd imagine it doesn't happen very OFTEN, but I also gave my explanation as to why it doesn't.

Explaining and excusing are not the same thing, my friend. And I didn't say I didn't get offended by it to make a point; I said it to answer a question.
You clearly stated that you understand why doing it would hurt a woman's feelings. If you would choose to do so anyway, that just makes you a cruel person. That's the reality of your position. Period.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:

Geez, stop stereotyping men! Not all men are so naive and simple they don't realize when they're being creeps!

^^^
Said in sarcastic, mocking tone

Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Geez, stop stereotyping men! Not all men are so naive and simple they don't realize when they're being creeps!

^^^
Said in sarcastic, mocking tone
I wanted to rep you UnexpectedError, but it says I've given you too much and need "too spread it around", but I'm dying at this! LOLOL!!!

It's true. They DO know what they're doing.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:

Controlling man is controlling

Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Controlling man is controlling
True, but a slu*t is a slu*t as well.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:35 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
True, but a slu*t is a slu*t as well.
Ladies of loose morals come in many packages.

Mmm, I sound like a fortune cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships