Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

We are living in a material world.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
honest answer.....
If only the very attractive people had a chance at dating, human species would cease to exist.
Sure there are exceptions but the general trend, over the past 5 decades is that good looking people are getting married at far higher rates than even the average ones. They are also more successful in their careers since our economy has shifted from manufacturing and assembly to sales and services and jobs in these latter areas disproportionately reward looks. This success then helps them afford a family and they therefore have, on average more children, per couple as well.

If you don't believe me, check out a school with class pictures going back many decades. What was exceptionally good looking in 1960 is rather ho hum today. It would be an interesting exercise to follow up a sample of the plain and ugly kids. I'll bet their rate of marriage and their number of children is a fraction of the better looking ones.

Part of the problem many young people have today is that they are the product of this unplanned social engineering. All their lives, they have been told that because of their looks, the world is their oyster. This is coming from those who recall how their looks would have helped them a lot, decades ago. Today they are not as exceptional and will find it difficult to adjust to reduce their expectations.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I think it's a mix of personality and luck (in finding someone who's willing to overlook your looks). I've met a lot of guys who range from not good looking to incredibly average who are dating smoking hot women.

I think the luck side of the equation is much bigger.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM

406 posts, read 770,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Copious amounts of alcohol.

first thing that came to my mind.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM

117 posts, read 242,016 times
While looks are important when someone meets a person for the first time, there are also other factors that might influence someone to have a relationship with an unattractive person: the personality part plays a huge roll (Someone genuine, nice, a good listener, a smart person)

While I make this statement, I will try not to generalize, but someone with extremely good looks might posses an unattainable pose or attitude. Someone unattractive who is down to earth might be luckier in the dating department than someone who is arrogant but possesses good looks. Also, we have to remember that people is so very different and complex when it comes to attraction; while you might consider someone is extremely unattractive, somebody else might actually find them appealing and good looking.

RedJohn

Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
While looks are important when someone meets a person for the first time, there are also other factors that might influence someone to have a relationship with an unattractive person: the personality part plays a huge roll (Someone genuine, nice, a good listener, a smart person)

While I make this statement, I will try not to generalize, but someone with extremely good looks might posses an unattainable pose or attitude. Someone unattractive who is down to earth might be luckier in the dating department than someone who is arrogant but possesses good looks. Also, we have to remember that people is so very different and complex when it comes to attraction; while you might consider someone is extremely unattractive, somebody else might actually find them appealing and good looking.

RedJohn
Good post!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post

RedJohn
You're right of course but the "Anti-PC" police will be coming around to shoot your comment down any moment now.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post

Whats their secret?
Trickery.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:21 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,757 times
Ugliness is not the end of the world. Yes it helps if you are rich/powerful/intelligent/great attitude/charismatic or all of the above.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Go to Walmart. All kinds of married ugly people. Many people learn that looks are temperary. What really matters is the person inside. EG. One time I dated a woman who had been runner up in the Miss Milwaukee contest. Most boring date I'd ever been on. I'd much prefer a average or even homely girl that is fun to be with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships