U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM

41 posts, read 65,382 times
Default Online dating experiences?

Probably there were already topics like this one, but it would be cool if you'd answer anyway.

Topic: Online dating.

I live in NYC and although the city has a lot to offer when it comes to men and dating, it's not exactly what I'm looking for, or better- I get mostly approached by men who aren't my type.
In my circle of friends are no guys with who I could consider to be more than just friends. I don't wanna sound shallow, but I'm a pretty girl. Sometimes I see guys I like in bars or so and I can see them looking at me, but they're not coming over to talk to me.
All in all, I had dates, but I've been single for a while now. And although I never considered online dating for me before, I now started to consider that as an option. I'm 24 years old by the way.

So my question is: What do you think of online dating? Is that a totally normal thing in our society or do you usually find older people and weirdos on those online dating websites?

Have you tried online dating? If yes, what were your experiences? Did you find good dates or even a partner?

And: What websites can you recommend? I heard of beautifulpeople.com... I'm sure many of you have prejudices because it is based on shallowness.. but besides characteristics a good look is important to me to.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 PM

3,759 posts, read 3,638,955 times
Try these:
First Time Trying Online Dating

Interesting article on online dating

Study: Online Dating Isn't Likely Route to Mr./Ms. Right

My experience in online dating (POF)

online dating and meeting for the first time

Thinking about joining eharmony? What are your online match or dating website experiences?

Online Dating - how long should I wait before phoning/meeting

Why are you on a dating website if you say:"I'm very busy", "I have limited time".....etc

Ever contact someone out of your area when dating online?

EHarmony: Your Opinion?

Guys, out of the three free dating sites which one has led to the most dates?

Online dating horror story!

Online dating sites: Rip off?

OkCupid-Hardly any messages???

Another Match.com dilemma

OKCupid Site?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 3,959,016 times
I’ve been online dating since high school. That was in the late 1990s, and it was far less mainstream then. Some of my buddies gave me a hard time about it at first, but I quickly brought up two important points: One, that it’s only online dating until you meet someone in real life. Then it’s just dating. And two, I was getting laid with regularity and they weren’t. They seemed to get it after that.

While the online dating pool has certainly expanded in the last 15 years, the mechanics of the process haven’t changed, and they’re really no different from what happens in so-called “real life” dating. Approach someone, establish mutual attraction, then try to score. Simple as that.

People get hung up on the term “online dating,” but for dating purposes the Internet is nothing more than a medium, just like a bar, club, or activities group, that gives you access to eligible members of the opposite sex.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM

225 posts, read 231,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiry View Post

So my question is: What do you think of online dating? Is that a totally normal thing in our society or do you usually find older people and weirdos on those online dating websites?
Have you tried online dating? If yes, what were your experiences? Did you find good dates or even a partner?
And: What websites can you recommend?
Online dating simply allows for more efficient up-front communication. It is a prelude to dating; the real dating, obviously, occurs offline.

The demographics are identical to the real world but some sites attract people who are psychographically similar. Experiences and success stories will be similar to real world since it all depends on the expectations of the people going into it. As for recommendations, here's a facebook link to one is very new and combines the efficiency and affordability of online dating with the security and credibility of offline: The Girl / Guy For You | Facebook

Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 PM

4,968 posts, read 2,802,039 times
I've been on match for almost 3 months. Never though I'd try online dating, but I work and then I go home and when I go out it still isn't easy to meet guys.

I got a lot of replies at first, now not so many and usually not from guys I would really consider. I consider myself above average in looks, I have a good job, I think I have a well written profile. Who knows. I'm divorced and I sometimes wonder if that turns guys off.

I think it's just a crap shoot. You'll get replies from guys you'd never consider, guys that just want to hook up, and guys that misrepresent themselves. I have met some nice guys too, just didn't feel the chemistry was there or the timing was wrong.

Even though I feel frustrated a lot with it, I'd recommend it. What do you have to lose, right?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 878,610 times
Meeting someone in real life will always trump browsing profiles and reading about someone's interests. So if you are not completely displeased with the idea of meeting guys in real life, give it another shot.

I would assume that the majority of men on dating sites are normal, good-looking guys that are only interested in sex, or socially awkward, below average guys looking for relationships. Not sure how much of a middle ground there is, even on beautifulpeople.com.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

773 posts, read 517,790 times
I would suggest trying online dating, but consider it just one way to expand your pool of potential datees. You might try Meet-Up groups in your area to expand your social circle, for example.

I met my lovely man through online dating. However, I'd tried online dating twice before for a few months at a time and had some pretty negative experiences. I got the married guys wanting a piece on the side. I got the creepy dudes who kept insisting that I send them "pictures." (Read: nude photos) I got really weird men who insisted on flying me to X-city when I hadn't even talked to them in person yet.

I think that using the Internet as a "buffer" makes some people a lot more ballsy than they would be in real life, and this isn't always a good thing. You can't let yourself get jaded by online dating after your first creep experience (and yes, there will be one). There are decent guys who use these services for the purpose for which they were designed.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,181,138 times
Met good people, and met bad people, just like real life.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,350,836 times
I've done a lot of online dating, it's how I met my husband.

I think that online dating is mainstream enough that there's a pretty average cross section of people online now. Perhaps people who use online dating tend to be a little more nerdy, but it's hard to say since I'm kind of a nerd.

I met a lot of people when I was using online dating. Just like in real life some of the dates were good, others not. Most of the dates didn't go anywhere, usually because I wasn't feeling it.

I think you can meet people with about the same amount of success on any site. Match is obviously the biggest site, but I had also used yahoo personals, eharmony, and OK Cupid. OK Cupid is free, and oddly enough, that's the site I met my husband on (never expected that).

I think online dating is worth doing. It isn't as though if you do online dating you aren't allowed to continue to meet people in person. For me, online dating was just another tool in the tool box.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM

4,215 posts, read 2,890,933 times
I heard in NYC, people are generally not nice. So I understand that you are looking for a handsome man that YOU find attractive. Most women have a b**tch mode in bars so that is why they won't approach and/or shy, afraid of rejection.

Online dating is the way to to go but you have to be patient. I have been online dating for over 10 years now. All good experiences.

OKCupid and Plenty of Fish are free. What is your ethnicity and what kind of good looking are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiry View Post
Probably there were already topics like this one, but it would be cool if you'd answer anyway.

Topic: Online dating.

I live in NYC and although the city has a lot to offer when it comes to men and dating, it's not exactly what I'm looking for, or better- I get mostly approached by men who aren't my type.
In my circle of friends are no guys with who I could consider to be more than just friends. I don't wanna sound shallow, but I'm a pretty girl. Sometimes I see guys I like in bars or so and I can see them looking at me, but they're not coming over to talk to me.
All in all, I had dates, but I've been single for a while now. And although I never considered online dating for me before, I now started to consider that as an option. I'm 24 years old by the way.

And: What websites can you recommend? I heard of beautifulpeople.com... I'm sure many of you have prejudices because it is based on shallowness.. but besides characteristics a good look is important to me to.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships