Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If you love someone you just accept that sometimes life happens and people's health deteriorates. I was super fit and super healthy ( and very slim) when I met Hubby 23 years ago.

I had a bright future ahead of me and being academically gifted was supposed to get the "perfect" highly paid job. I was athletic, physically always really active, adventurous and fiercely independent.

Then within a few months of starting to date I was diagnosed with leukaemia. I struggled with it for 10 years and won that battle only to be then diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Chronic Depression. I also am disabled and walk with a stick. I cannot work and my bright future is now a dim memory. Hubby did not abandon me, did not leave me simply because I was no longer healthy.

He took it on the chin like a real man and accepted that he would become the breadwinner and that I was still the same person but simply with more physical limitations. I gained a lot of weight due to years of having to take steroids as treatment, and my immune system is now so shot to pieces that I catch almost every infection going.

I still try to be as active as humanly possible and we travel a lot, go out, I still look after the house, organise our accounts, holidays, social life, I still look after him as best as I can but my role has obviously changed.

I don't bring in any money so I try to pull my weight in other ways and have learnt how to pace myself and force myself to keep going. I have had to adapt and so has he.

It has not always been easy but on the other hand I would say on the whole we manage to have full life,and do far more than couples with two healthy partners.

He realises that underneath I am still the young woman he fell in love with, that I still feel and think the same and that I being physically ill and disabled has not changed my personality that much.

Yes I do get down and gloomy quite a bit but I always try to keep it away from him if I can because I don't think it would be fair to subject him to my depression on a daily basis.

I work bloody hard to ensure we still have a lot of fun and adventures together but yes my days trekking the Amazon are behind me. We both occasionally get frustrated at my limitations but then I often remind myself and him that I was always far more active and he often jokes that I was "brought down" to "his level".

Love is not a pick and mix venture, it is about the hard times as well as the easy ones. We still laugh together, we have fun , we take care of one another. Would it be nice if I could earn a living ? , Of course ! But we manage fine and do quite well considering. I don't think either of us care that much about money as long as we have enough for our needs.

I loathe being ill but there is nothing I can do about it. I have no choice. And Hubby chose to take a chance on me despite knowing I was likely to die and that I would be physically diminished.

We try to avoid being boring, we try to avoid limiting ourselves and it is about learning to work within our own limiations so to speak.

I am still in mourning for my old life,my old health, and my old self. Nothing can ever give me back the last two decades of my life and there are days when I just want to weep and scream at the terrible injustice of it all.

But then I try to remind myself that I have a good decent man who loves me, who has never made me feel like a burden and never made feel anything but sexy and desirable even though I no longer am the sexy "babe" I used to be when we met. He still seems to see me as I was 23 years ago and it is really sweet.

But it is not just about him being "heroic" as some people would perceive it. This has often been advanced by some people and it upsets me because I work bloody hard at being the best wife I can be and the best life companion disabled or not. It mgiht be hard for him sometimes but it is 500 times worse for me everyday so I really resent this idea that he is somehow a "victim".

It is a horrible burden but it is one I shall try and keep on carrying for as long as I can and try to lighten his share of the load as much as possible.

When you genuinely find someone you are in tune with, someone who "gets you", someone who shares your ideals, philosophy of life, sense of humour etc... It woudl be pretty silly to let them go IMO. Is it always easy ? Of course not. But then again ALL couples have their own problems. Ours is just a little more concrete and we deal with it as it presents itself.

I love him to bits and I cannot even imagine life without him whether he became blind or infirm. I would rather have him in a wheelchair than not to have him in my life. I would also rather have him disabled than having someone else who was healthy.

I suppose at 21 he was very mature and grown up and I did give him the chance to just let me go. But he indignantly pointed out this was not a fling but a relationship and we are still here together staring into the jaws of life hand in hand. Sounds trite but it works. Because we decided to face it head on and to deal with it together.

I am quite usre he would rather have a healthy wife , who wouldn't ? But does me being disabled make me a worthless individual and somehow inferior, I would like to believe it does not.

As long as your personality is the same and you genuinely try your best to conquer whatever is thrown at you then I think you have pretty good chances of success.

I would find it a lot harder if Hubby was in an accident and his personality changed, he became violent or abusive, or he turned into a different person altogether. Mental disabilities will be a lot harder IMO to adapt to but even then I suppose it is about commitment .

We decided to live together within a few short months of meeting each other and I don't think either of us has regretted it so far.

We have a pretty normal relationship, the good, the bad and the ulgy like most people in couples. We love and laugh, bicker and sulk , me walking with a stick and not able to work seems to make little difference.

In many ways I think it has made us closer . We spend most of our time together because we want to not because I am a lost little lamb without him.

Trust and Respect are paramount in relationships and the way you behave towards each other when the going is not so smooth a god indication of the strength of your feelings for each other.
"a god indication" Don't know if you meant it that way or just miskeyed, but I love it!

Hugs to you my friend.

And kudos for choosing so wisely when you decided which man to marry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,235,181 times
Mooseketeer, that is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing, I'm going to print it out, and keep it always where if I ever need encouragement I can read it. Best wishes in all your endeavours!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM

317 posts, read 575,241 times
i'm disabled and my SO is just fine with it, ive got TBI, chronic back pain and a slew of other disorders to rewrite DSM VI

if she was suddenly disabled, id be surprised but at the smae time doing what i can to get her life back together aftrwards

Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,634,624 times
Most likely I'd bail. I'd handle the chores at home, juggle the bills, and life in general by living on my own.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,663,141 times
"Till death do us part..."
Not "Till death do us part...assuming you never lose the ability to walk.."

Read the rules.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is why after a certain age disability insurance is a good thing to invest in.

Loving, successful couples would just cope and adjust their lifestyle - work through the difficulties. I'd personally rely on my faith for strength.

All others would likely fall apart.
Precisely. It's what loving and responsible couples do.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,210,539 times
Well I am already disabled, but only in the ears.
Wear hearing aids, but can't wear them asleep, or in the shower or anything like that, so I guess my future wife will have to put up with that. And hearing aids aren't perfect, so I do have to ask people to repeat themselves at times.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,004,298 times
Leave

Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,143,709 times
I'd do the best for her that I possibly could, anything less would be unimaginable.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,437,936 times
"In sickness and in health" I would just deal with it as is comes. I would try quickly to get on SSDI or whatever he/she would be eligible for. You can only do so much. It's not like I would just walk away from the marriage because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships