Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:22 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5e3deluxe View Post
Oh look, a breeder-pleaser!

what does that mean?

i think it's possible to not want kids yourself but not dislike them or the people that do have them. I'm CF and I don't have a problem with that label though.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 PM

122 posts, read 97,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
what does that mean?

i think it's possible to not want kids yourself but not dislike them or the people that do have them. I'm CF and I don't have a problem with that label though.
It means in spite of your CF status, you do everything possible to make breeders comfortable with you, including saying things like "I love kids but I don't want any of my own."

Every time I hear that, I want to smack someone in the head.

FYI, I'm not a militant CF, I'm THE militant CF. Children should not be seen nor heard until they can behave in a civilized manner.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
It means in spite of your CF status, you do everything possible to make breeders comfortable with you, including saying things like "I love kids but I don't want any of my own."

Every time I hear that, I want to smack someone in the head.

FYI, I'm not a militant CF, I'm THE militant CF. Children should not be seen nor heard until they can behave in a civilized manner.

IMO, this is a bizarre viewpoint (even for me) -- being 'militant' about child free.

"breeders" as a term for parents.

offended by "I love kids but don't want one of my own."

Um okay, It's not that serious, really.

It's the parents job to make sure the children learn how to be civilized, some parents don't do this or don't care and it's a shame but that's life I guess.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,735 times
CF appears to be the way too be. Outside of a college campus it must be impossible to find childless women.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
Breeder pleaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll eyes View Post
what does that mean?
I think it's possible to not want kids yourself but not dislike them or the people that do have them. I'm cf and i don't have a problem with that label though.

Quote:
from a childfree lexicon:
breeder pleaser: A childfree person who tries to appease those who are offended by childfreedom, especially one who attempts to censor the speech and opinions of other childfree people so that the non-childfree are not offended. Many childfree people would say that a "breeder pleaser" is likely to agree with breeder bingo statements or to express the sentiment, "i love children; i just don't want any of my own." use of this insult is somewhat analogous to a black person calling another black person an "uncle tom."
I'd say the part in red is the most egregious characteristic of a breeder pleaser.

I'm childfree. I'm also blue-eyed and have brown hair (going to grey ). I use the term to define myself. If someone asks "do you have kids?" I say "no, I'm childfree", meaning there's no need to ask why I don't or express commiseration, thinking that maybe something went wrong and I could never have them. It's a path I've chosen for which I have no regrets.

There are CF groups that are quite militant. Some think their existence gives the word 'childfree' a bad name and don't want to be associated with the term. It is often seen as synonymous with 'child hater', but only the ignorant think that. There are a number of folks who call themselves childfree whose careers involve children. To be childfree is simply to eschew the path to parenthood, for any number of reasons.

Last edited by silverwing; 06-29-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Breeder pleaser

I'd say the part in red is the most egregious characteristic of a breeder pleaser.

I'm childfree. I'm also blue-eyed and have brown hair (going to grey ). I use the term to define myself. If someone asks "do you have kids?" I say "no, I'm childfree", meaning there's no need to ask why I don't or express commiseration, thinking that maybe something went wrong and I could never have them. It's a path I've chosen for which I have no regrets.

There are CF groups that are quite militant
. Some think their existence gives the word 'childfree' a bad name and don't want to be associated with the term. It is often seen as synonymous with 'child hater', but only the ignorant think that. There are a number of folks who call themselves childfree whose careers involve children. To be childfree is simply to eschew the path to parenthood, for any number of reasons.

I'm looking at that childfree lexicon you posted and what a bunch B.S. (I know you did not create it, just saying). People will make a political issue out of anything these days. Also, yet another situation where black people are thrown in for an unrelated, out of left field comparison. Thrilled about that as well.

Anyway, I also use the term 'child free'. I will say, "I'm CF, kids just aren't for me" or something like that. Or I will say, "I like kids, I just don't want them." I never once thought of that as trying to 'appease' someone who has kids.....Well I did not know all of this was going on in the CF world, LOL. Just from the way that 'militant' poster was talking I wouldn't want anything to do with those kinds of groups, the reason being they just sound overly dramatic and ridiculous. I agree with you people that associate CF and 'child hater' are the same as the people who are using the term 'breeder' for a parent. *smh*

Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
There's a handful of regulars here that post ugly nasty things about children and make a lot of disparaging remarks about people who have kids. Comments like "breeders" and the like... That is just ugly sounding, and passive aggressive, although fairly light on the passive part.

I, on the other hand hate, absolutely hate when I tell people that I don't have kids... I get the f ing blank look, or the "oh poor you" pity look.

Both are equally offensive.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Or I will say, "I like kids, I just don't want them." I never once thought of that as trying to 'appease' someone who has kids.....
You were appeasing, whether you realized it or not.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It's the parents job to make sure the children learn how to be civilized, some parents don't do this or don't care and it's a shame but that's life I guess.
Those parents should have their children taken away from them and the parents should be forcibly sterilized.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Those parents should have their children taken away from them and the parents should be forcibly sterilized.

I agree with chowhound, this seems way overboard, almost to the point I think you are not even serious. I live a simpler kind of life and prefer not to get tangled up in nonsense if I can help it. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships