U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,233,037 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure of the OP's ethnicity but rest assured I have my reasons as to why I don't prefer to date my own ethnicity.

- Forceful nature from family/friends of the same culture/ethnicity
- Political correctness
- Narrow-mindedness
- Not as informed or well-traveled
- Too traditional and backwards compared to what American society follows.

Does this mean all people of my ethnicity are like this? No. It's just not my preference. Westerners/Americans aren't any better either but that's another story.

There are a handful amount of people that I know from my ethnicity who are the opposite. It is just harder to find these kind of people. OP I don't blame you but don't entirely discount your ethnicity, there are lots of nice people, regardless of where they are from.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
I'm not sure of the OP's ethnicity but rest assured I have my reasons as to why I don't prefer to date my own ethnicity.

- Political correctness
- Narrow-mindedness

Does this mean all people of my ethnicity are like this? No. It's just not my preference. Westerners/Americans aren't any better either but that's another story.

There are a handful amount of people that I know from my ethnicity who are the opposite. It is just harder to find these kind of people. OP I don't blame you but don't entirely discount your ethnicity, there are lots of nice people, regardless of where they are from.
I'm scared to ask but what ethnicity are you?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I'm scared to ask but what ethnicity are you?
Burmese, and there's nothing to be scared of.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM

8,778 posts, read 5,713,162 times
Quote:

- Political correctness
- Narrow-mindedness

This. I've never ever dated someone from my ethnicity but it's only because I haven't found one I liked. Disgusted with people from my ethnic background? Nah, being wary is more like it.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 AM

5,539 posts, read 5,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
I am not trying to create a controversial post but I've enjoyed my interactions with men from other ethnic background a lot more than my own. Now I think I am not attracted to my own. I almost feel disgusted around men of my own ethnicity. Is that crazy or what?
No, I knew Asian girls of chinese, japanese ancestry whose family has been here for generations that could NOT date first generation asian men, because of CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. These women were VERY AMERICANIZED and could not get with the culture of recent immigrants.

I'm black, but would not date an african man, because of CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. I don't even waste my time. It's the same with caribbean men too. There ARE differences.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, I knew Asian girls of chinese, japanese ancestry whose family has been here for generations that could NOT date first generation asian men, because of CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. These women were VERY AMERICANIZED and could not get with the culture of recent immigrants.

I'm black, but would not date an african man, because of CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. I don't even waste my time. It's the same with caribbean men too. There ARE differences.
As an Asian male, this pretty much sums it up.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM

5,539 posts, read 5,083,751 times
Quote:
As an Asian male, this pretty much sums it up.
Are you first generation or recent immigrant?

Are you very into your culture from the OLD COUNTRY or more AMERICANIZED?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 PM

350 posts, read 195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
I am not trying to create a controversial post but I've enjoyed my interactions with men from other ethnic background a lot more than my own. Now I think I am not attracted to my own. I almost feel disgusted around men of my own ethnicity. Is that crazy or what?
what ethnicity are you?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are you first generation or recent immigrant?
First generation. Born and raised in the US all my life.

Quote:
Are you very into your culture from the OLD COUNTRY or more AMERICANIZED?
More of both. They have their advantages and disadvantages.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM

747 posts, read 794,696 times
I don't like the word, crazy, but I think there's a problem. It makes me wonder how you feel about yourself and your own family.

When I was a kid, I didn't grow up around a lot of my own race and I tended to want to date other races. I still thought my race was attractive, but there just weren't many around and the ones that were I didn't identity with much. I'm glad I grew out of that, mainly by meeting more people and being around more diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.