U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM

4,774 posts, read 3,789,677 times
Default Internet Dating and meeting through Skype

Wouldn't this be a better "screener" to see if you're compatible with someone rather than meeting them in person and being disappointed with the outcome?

Let's face it, pics can be deceiving and many people are great text/email conversationalists, but SUCK in verbal communication.

At least a pre-screening with SKYPE, you'll be able to see them the way they CURRENTLY look, be able to HEAR their voice and if they are just as chatty verbally as they are in written form.

At least there won't be any awkward first dates at the coffee shop or dinner where you've wasted an hour or more of your time (as well as money) realizing you're not compatible with someone.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad or indifferent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-25-2012, 11:33 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,055,566 times
I think that is a GREAT idea. Most everyone has skype now anyway and if they dont, they can easily get it with whatever peice of technology they use.

While I am married and not dating, I think EVERYONE who is using online dating sites should first skype with the person before meeting in peron.

Again, great idea and everyone should do this.

Unread 03-25-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think that is a GREAT idea. Most everyone has skype now anyway and if they dont, they can easily get it with whatever peice of technology they use.

While I am married and not dating, I think EVERYONE who is using online dating sites should first skype with the person before meeting in peron.

Again, great idea and everyone should do this.
I agree. Seeing someone in live motion and hearing their voice BEFORE you meet with them can cut down on so many mismatches that you read and hear about.

I do believe the first date or meeting should be at a coffee shop, unless the man (or woman) INSISTS on wanting to go to dinner, thereby assuming he'll foot the entire bill. I'm not "contributing" ANYTHING to a dinner date, but I don't mind paying for my own coffee and crumpets.

Unread 03-25-2012, 12:12 PM

348 posts, read 151,212 times
As a form of pre-date screening, I think it is a very good idea. You get to see them in real time, hear them converse and see some of their mannerisms. You aren't gonna see everything you want to know but it is a start. Of course it isn't foolproof, you can still have a bad first date.

Unread 03-25-2012, 12:36 PM

717 posts, read 635,786 times
I think that's a good idea. I need to sign up today!!

Unread 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM

626 posts, read 445,731 times
I joined Skype for this purpose, but not limiting it to the dating context, but also for couch-surfing requests and language buddies.

But ultimately, I am a paranoid individual and there is still a part of me that says if a creeper exists who wants to do me harm, they can still pull a face one on me even with the Skype screening.

To simplify, don't allow it to create a false sense of security.

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:08 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,938,059 times
Good idea. At least you'll get an idea if they are 50# heavier than they said (or 10 years older, etc).

Unread 03-25-2012, 01:39 PM

10,623 posts, read 4,866,141 times
It's a good idea but only if neither person is using it as a substitution or way to stall real life meeting up. You only need to do that once then take it offline if you're both still interested.

Unread 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
I joined Skype for this purpose, but not limiting it to the dating context, but also for couch-surfing requests and language buddies.

But ultimately, I am a paranoid individual and there is still a part of me that says if a creeper exists who wants to do me harm, they can still pull a face one on me even with the Skype screening.

To simplify, don't allow it to create a false sense of security.
True. Nothing is foolproof, but I believe it WILL cut down on mismatches.

Many people sound great on paper and have the best personalities in the world while texting or emailing, but very different in person.

At least on skype, you can ask all the questions you want and have a lively conversation watching person's mannerisms, inflections in their speech and if they really DO match their pic profile. Many people put up pics from 20 years ago expecting you NOT to notice in the actual meet up.

How they expect to get away with this is beyond me.

Unread 03-25-2012, 02:50 PM

10,623 posts, read 4,866,141 times
Skype is a good idea but I think it would be very difficult to pull off especially if you live close to each other. They would ask "Why not just meet for coffee?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships