Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's because most people are just surviving rather than living. If the finances are tight a man is not going to get any good rest. As for the loving the way I see it if you have orange juice everyday after awhile if becomes redundant then it's time for something different.

I remember a friend of mien whose wife was mad at him because she cut him off and wasn't mad at all. I asked him why he wasn't mad and he said because she can't cut him off if she didn't know where he was getting it. That woman used to accuse him of cheating by looking at the women on TV. LOL...I'm NEVA getting married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Exactly - most marriages are like brother sister/relationships - how can you feel turned on with the same person day after day.
Just more proof to back up what you said:

'Only idiots remain married' - YouTube

Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Um... not really. That's kind of gross. I don't have any siblings - but I can assure you that I don't view my husband as a brother! Yuck! As for being turned on by him day after day - well, he's the most amazing man I know! Of course he still turns me on!
I wish you all the best Dewdrop, but don't talk too soon, 10+ years from now things might change. Just enjoy it while you can, it's all you can do.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I wish you all the best Dewdrop, but don't talk too soon, 10+ years from now things might change. Just enjoy it while you can, it's all you can do.

What is the cutoff time in years to know? We've been married 20 years and I am even more attracted to him now then when we met.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I grew up with a twin brother and it's not the same thing at all. At best, a brother and a husband is family, but the relationship dynamics are entirely different.
There is some truth to the matter though...

All the couples I know that made it past 15-20 years of marriage come off like they are brother and sister. They hardly hug, kiss, or show any signs of affection towards each other. They behave like roommates and they don't seem alive or happy that they have each other.

This is what I use to watch when I was younger that caused me to question marriage even before I started actually researching relationships.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
There is some truth to the matter though...

All the couples I know that made it past 15-20 years of marriage come off like they are brother and sister. They hardly hug, kiss, or show any signs of affection towards each other. They behave like roommates and they don't seem alive or happy that they have each other
After seeing that it’s a bit difficult to believe that there is lots of sex in marriage compared to when a couple is dating.

Quote:
This is what I use to watch when I was younger that caused me to question marriage even before I started actually researching relationships.
I have wondered this too. You can see teenage couples holding hands, kissing, playing around, verbally/physically affectionate, etc. but older married couples, sure, I am not saying they may not be happy but those things you normally see in a teenage young couple just seems to fade away with time. When I see my parents I am blessed to see them hugging, mom sitting in his lap, etc. They still date (dinners out in the city, long walks, movies, dance, etc.).

Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
I'm not a man, and not married, but am in a very LTR living with a man who absolutely refuses to have any kind of sex with me and refuses to let me try to get it elsewhere. On top of that, he's always insecure and suspicious, like if I come home late (from shopping or errands), he tries to accuse me of cheating. I really wish I could find someone to cheat with. I'm going crazy, and this is not how our relationship started out many years ago! Back then, we went at it at least 2x/day. His kids are grown and I have no kids, so that's not the excuse. He never wants it, ever. I can't get laid to save my life. I didn't sign on for this, and it's pathetic. I guess in a way, it's better than what I had before him: I used to get laid left and right, but those men just hit it and quit it, never to be seen again. I wanted a relationship, just not a platonic one.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. My parents had a very loving (and not in a brother/sister way) relationship up until my father passed away. They had been married for over 30 years. My husband's parents are still very affectionate with each other. They've been married for over 40 years.

Also - sometimes people become less affectionate in public as they age - but you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I'm not a man, and not married, but am in a very LTR living with a man who absolutely refuses to have any kind of sex with me and refuses to let me try to get it elsewhere. On top of that, he's always insecure and suspicious, like if I come home late (from shopping or errands), he tries to accuse me of cheating. I really wish I could find someone to cheat with. I'm going crazy, and this is not how our relationship started out many years ago! Back then, we went at it at least 2x/day. His kids are grown and I have no kids, so that's not the excuse. He never wants it, ever. I can't get laid to save my life. I didn't sign on for this, and it's pathetic. I guess in a way, it's better than what I had before him: I used to get laid left and right, but those men just hit it and quit it, never to be seen again. I wanted a relationship, just not a platonic one.

This begs the question: Why are you with him?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM

460 posts, read 671,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
After seeing that it’s a bit difficult to believe that there is lots of sex in marriage compared to when a couple is dating.

I have wondered this too. You can see teenage couples holding hands, kissing, playing around, verbally/physically affectionate, etc. but older married couples, sure, I am not saying they may not be happy but those things you normally see in a teenage young couple just seems to fade away with time. When I see my parents I am blessed to see them hugging, mom sitting in his lap, etc. They still date (dinners out in the city, long walks, movies, dance, etc.).
My husband and I are very much against PDA in general. We don't hold hands in public nor do we kiss or cuddle. At home, in the privacy of our own home, we are very affectionate. And yes, I'm still attracted to him, and he says the same of me though of course I can not confirm that.

You can not judge a relationship by these external factors. Some people are very private by nature (both of us are). We still date each other when we can (2 small children) and our conversation never falters at dinner. I know everything that goes on with his work and he shares his frustrations and accomplishments with me. We discuss everything. This is year 13 together (6 married, 8 living together).

I fully accept that some people are not cut out for marriage. There's always that concept of the "cheating gene" which makes monogamy more difficult for men of this persuasion. There's personality factors of each individual involved and then there are relationship factors. Some relationships are just doomed for failure. However, when two people find another person that satisfies them on every level and acts as their best friend and partner, then it's a truly beautiful thing and nothing can beat it IMO. In these cases, married men are going to get more sex on average than a guy out on the prowl at bars every weekend. There will be dry spells on occasion but they can be worked through in a loving relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships