Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 AM

395 posts, read 707,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm 35, and have been away from my family in a college town for the past two months -- so I have been drinking in college bars (most bars in town are college bars). I'm a reasonably good looking guy .. have always gotten my share of attention from women.. college girls look through me. I'm not trying to pick them up, but if I were, I think the biggest reaction I would get is "ewww.. creepy" -- as it is, when I do end up talking to one, it's more like talking to a neice than a potentional date. Everyone thinks they "look young" OP ... you should not go younger than seven years younger than you .. women in their mid to late 20s are much more mature than girls who are two to three years out of high school.
I agree with the above post.

You need to meet women who are mentally mature... b/c young girls will not only find you creepy, they haven't come to conclusion that they too are aging and that their looks are just for the next 10 years or so. Once they understand the concept that nothing last, they might be more open to older guys, but they are typically in their late 20's by the time they understand this concept.

Also, you'll have different social circles. Her friends will find you weird and you will find them absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,283 times
lol....

But in suprise also uni guys like older women... I am not sure if they even understand how old I am

Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM

118 posts, read 298,988 times
Never judge anyone that is "older and in college" or "older and single" because there are always reasons why.

Nobody is ever guaranteed security in life once out of college, nobody is ever guaranteed security once they are married. I myself remember thinking in a judgemental manner, and well now i'm older and at times find myself in those situations that I thought was so "weird" when I was a teenager.

Life/society has a way of supprising you like that. So if you say "he is 34, he should be married and not in college" there is a good chance you might find yourself in the same type of situation later on in life.

As far as wasting your time with women below the age of 23, they might just be too immature and still think of themselves as a kid, however there should be plenty of graduate students that could be happy with your company. As for dating anyone below 23-25...anything is possible, but just be prepared if there is any negativity with her friends and family.

Good Luck on going back to college!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
If you're going back for a 2nd Degree, why would that take four years? After all, you've already been through the core curriculum the first time through.

College girls, by the way, tend to be pretty attracted to an older guy.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
why dont you just get a masters degree? some schools have an older student body than others. i know at the university by me i hear of 28 year olds still in college all the time
I haven't read all the post but that was the same thing I was thinking.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM

178 posts, read 376,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Well, I am going back to college full time for a 2nd bachelors this Fall and although I am excited about repeating the college experience, I am a bit confused as to how these next 4 years will be, as far as dating and relationships.

Although I look young, it is hard for me to click with girls in their early 20's for obvious reasons.

I am definitely not interested in sex and partying ONLY (have had plenty of that) but I am not interested in getting married either.

Most of my girlfriends have been OLDER, by at least 10 years. How do girls in their early 20's see a guy in my age group? Too old? Or some are attracted to older guys? I really hope I find my niche!
Like many of the reactions you've received on this thread, your initial hurdle will be talking about why are working on another degree. Note I said "talking about" not convincing them as to why you are doing it.

Then my recommendation is to play it two ways: (1) meet/fb as many of coeds as possible and get your chops lubercated for mindnumbing college level banter so that the creep factor dissolves and you are seen as a safe dude to chat/hang out with; and (2) create a different quality level of lifestyle than your typical college dude --don't fall into that trap and be the mature guy who does more cool adult stuff. There are plenty of guys in their mid-30s who date women in their 20s, and those women date older guys as a different form of entertainment. And I'm sure you will bump into women doing grad work, so your attraction factor will bump up once they see you can hang with the younger set. Good luck!

Last edited by bignutz; 05-01-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM

178 posts, read 376,139 times
Oh hey, I forgot to mention this one. A few years back I had a buddy late-30s who just got out of a divorce, relocated to my city, and ended up teaching at the local university. Through some personal transformation (he was a pasty nerd type before), he ended up becoming the coolest professor in his department with a downtown condo in a high rise where he threw parties on holidays, etc. Life was great and his steady gf was late 20s, but he got lots of attention from others. So, maybe you could find a Teaching Assistant gig or something like that.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,660 times
I am 26, my boyfriend is 36. I love that he is more worldly, mature, well-rounded than most guys my age and is also successful. I have dated guys a lot older and a lot younger than me almost my whole life. I believe I am in the minority here in my attraction to older guys, but those girls definitely exist. Good luck to OP. I hope you can focus on your study and if you find love in the process, that's just a great bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships