Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date someone who's hobby was pipe smoking?
Yes 19 38.00%
No 24 48.00%
Not Sure 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,284,968 times

Advertisements

I smoke a pipe about 10 times a year and it never interfered with my dating life, probably because I usually only smoke it when I am deep in the wilderness camping with my dogs. I am also a professor at a private college who wears tweed jackets with leather patches on the elbows from time to time, so I don't think any woman I dated would be that surprised to find out I occasionally light up.

For me it is all about the ritual. First I make a fire, and when the fire gets nice and hot and I have a nice bed of coals I make a pot of super strong black coffee. When my thermos of coffee is about half empty, I light the pipe and I smoke it very slowly over the course of an hour or two. I like English tobacco with a high percentage of latakia, although I like cavendish as well. I have the most amazing clarity of thought over that hour, and I find it a good way to make important decisions.

I would not want to smoke every day, but I have a very thorough understanding of statistics and biochemistry and I find the risk associated with my usage pattern well within the acceptable range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 PM

880 posts, read 1,246,674 times
All depends on what you put in that pipe. Crack cocaine - no. Everything else, fair game. Pipe tobacco smells good and other stuff... well, you know. But then again, I am not a woman.

The one downside, is it makes you *look* like a g̶i̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶u̶c̶h̶e̶ pretentious snob, who's attempting to appear better than everybody, but is failing. But then again, I smoke cigars, so opinions vary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships