U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM

6,477 posts, read 5,948,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
She should have been the dream girlfriend, because she was cool in so many ways -- beautiful, brainy, funny, and a great disposition. But every meal out was this constant struggle, a continual "If I eat that I'll get even fatter than I am right now." I mean, a simple beer and a hot dog at a baseball game would give her a major case of the guilts. This continual self-deprecation on her part just grew to be so freaking exhausting, that I couldn't handle it anymore. Even recounting it, I'm grinding my teeth, because I spent a great deal of time telling her how magnificent she was in every conceivable sense of the word. It just wasn't healthy.
I've had simliar issues. Drop dead gorgeous woman, we'd be out at a dance club or something and she'd be surrounded by half a dozen guys trying to get her attention and buy her drinks. Yet she'd always be asking if I thought she was pretty, and going out to eat just got impossible after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM

7,544 posts, read 8,489,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
hilarious how they expect a woman to have such over the top self esteem when they treat them like garbage or talk about them like they are garbage.
I think these men are being very respectful. What made me mad is when my former BIL who used to be a player, told me that he and his friend would look for women with low self-esteem b/c they could get them into bed easier. That's talking about women like they're garbage. Fortunately he got older and wiser.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM

19,023 posts, read 13,767,354 times
The crocodile loves such girls.

Very high self-esteem, ego and megalomania are male attributes. One can't live with a woman who has them. Typically disqualifies her from being a stable relationship investment.

On the other hand, very low self-esteem is also dangerous. Low self-esteem can be pumped up to average. The crocodile likes his girls just in the middle, somewhat insecure and somewhat needy in terms of needing a shoulder to lean their heads on.

I've never met a woman with 100% self-esteem. She does not exist. It's against nature.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM

8,739 posts, read 4,675,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I think these men are being very respectful. What made me mad is when my former BIL who used to be a player, told me that he and his friend would look for women with low self-esteem b/c they could get them into bed easier. That's talking about women like they're garbage. Fortunately he got older and wiser.
Oh yea a lot of them think like this, that isn't a surprise.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM

2,914 posts, read 3,344,032 times
RUN! Run as fast as your legs will carry you. Not only is dating someone with low self-esteem a drag, just being around someone like this (platonically) is hell. There is no "saving" them, it's a waste of your time. And people with low self-esteem have all sorts of other baggage. They're too busy worrying about their supposed flaws they will have no time/inclination to pay any attention to you. A losing propostion!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM

23,933 posts, read 19,736,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I say yes given my experience. Recently dated one and tried to help her feel better about herself...turned out to be a collosal waste of energy and time. She did have some really good qualities..she just didn't see them in herself. Any guys want to chime in with their experiences.
Don't know much about this, but I could see how dealing with a woman with those problems would be annoying. She would always be discounting what you find attractive about her ("You only like me because I'm -----." "You don't love me. You only like my -----.") That could get real old real quick. I see a lot of that on this forum, actually.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM

542 posts, read 658,910 times
What's funny is how this thread would never work if the roles were reversed, cause women don't date men who have low self-esteem or aren't fully confident in themselves. It wouldn't even be up for debate.

But women can do fine in the dating world (along with marriage) with low self-esteem, it's not an ideal way to go through life of course, but they usually land on their feet if they have other good qualities.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM

5,105 posts, read 3,212,798 times
I hate it when people (male and female) can't take a compliment. If someone compliments me I say thank you!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM

2,922 posts, read 2,984,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I hate it when people (male and female) can't take a compliment. If someone compliments me I say thank you!
You are the exception!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 AM

15,959 posts, read 8,260,649 times
Well, seeing all these mean posts about people with low self -esteem - is it any wonder they struggle with low self-esteem? Geesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships