Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Come on... do you really believe this? There are hundreds of millions of men in the world who have low self-esteem. Are all these men living alone, never having had a date?
A lot of them are. A lot of them are on here.

Quote:
Of course not. Most of them date and get married. They aren't all living in some small box, never going outside, celibate and lonely.
I wouldn't say most, I'd say some. And then there are those who get married and regret it........
Quote:
And how many men do you know who are "fully confident in themselves?" Very few are. Just peruse this Forum!
To your point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
im an expert on low self esteem. its ok to have low self esteem, the unforgiveable sin is letting it run your life, your mind should do that not how u perceive yourself.
no greater example than richard nixon. he used to chaffeur his future wife when she went out with other men just so he could be near her.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
im an expert on low self esteem. its ok to have low self esteem, the unforgiveable sin is letting it run your life, your mind should do that not how u perceive yourself.
no greater example than richard nixon. he used to chaffeur his future wife when she went out with other men just so he could be near her.
I'd forgotten that. Tricia Nixon must have been one hot piece of ass in her day.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, it all comes to something my grandmother said once: "If you don't like yourself, then how on earth can you expect anyone else to like you." Of course, this was followed up with a smack on the back of the head.
That sounds like a good Southern "over the back yard fence" pearl of wisdom story. And yes, I know, it wasn't followed up with being hit "upside the head."

Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That sounds like a good Southern "over the back yard fence" pearl of wisdom story. And yes, I know, it wasn't followed up with being hit "upside the head."
No. But it's funnier if I say it that way.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
what's ironic is that says a lot about you, that you feel you're not good enough to get the girl who feels worthwhile about herself so have to resort to going after a girl b/c she's not the best catch or whatever. So then as Lao said, it's easier to dump her when you're finished....

And they hit on the less hot one b/c they think she is easier to get in bed -- not b/c they think she is full of conversation and an overall decent human being. Be for real here.
Hot girls can be a headache, so what's wrong with approaching a girl who meets my basic physical demands and seems like the type I could actually date?

If I had said I only go after hot ones I'd be called superficial, but if I go for her less hot friend then I'm just not man enough for the challenge?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Assuming this is true, and it is, at least partially - what is wrong with that? Men and women have sex drives, and the sex drives are what motivate them, at least on the most basic, animal level, to seek relationships with each other. Again, what is so bad about that?

What's false about it? I know lots of women who are like this. Or, as I've said, I have, on a limited basis, complimented women, and they discount it because they don't believe it's true (or they don't think much of me or my opinion).

I find that hard to believe........

What's wrong with it is I would rather not have someone complimenting me b/c their purpose is to get laid. But that's just me....And what's false about it is I think they say those things, again, to bolster themselves and to make it like 'this poor soul' needs me to boost them in life etc. etc. and that's not the case from what I've seen.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Hot girls can be a headache, so what's wrong with approaching a girl who meets my basic physical demands and seems like the type I could actually date?

If I had said I only go after hot ones I'd be called superficial, but if I go for her less hot friend then I'm just not man enough for the challenge?

That's not what he said and that's not what Lao said either. They were essentially saying, going after the less hot ones and ones with lower self esteem was because they were 'easier' and so down on themselves that they won't have to put out much effort to get them. Not the same as: 'someone I actually like who meets my basic physical demands.'

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's the ones with the self-esteem issues that aren't apparent when you first meet them who are the tricky ones.
Whenever I want to measure a persons self-esteem, I ask the following:

1. Is your self-esteem based on what others think of you?

2. Do you do things to make other people happy, even if it makes you feel bad?

3. Do you have a hard time being happy for others when they succeed?

4. Do you call yourself names like "stupid" or "dummy" when you make mistakes or sometimes even when you don't?

5. Do you have a hard time taking risks?

Based on the preceding questions, I can "usually" decide if their self-esteem is high, low, or inflated. The only problem here is whether or not the person is truthful. But, fortunately, that's a different subject.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
What's wrong with it is I would rather not have someone complimenting me b/c their purpose is to get laid. But that's just me....And what's false about it is I think they say those things, again, to bolster themselves and to make it like 'this poor soul' needs me to boost them in life etc. etc. and that's not the case from what I've seen.
oh, God................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships