Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,683,920 times

Advertisements

*insert gif of michael jackson eating popcorn*

this is getting good..sad...but good..

Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 AM

72 posts, read 87,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
It seems as though you failed to comprehend what I was getting at...let me clarify...

As the saying goes, I ain't no ways mad at people who date whoever they want---I can't tell THEM who and who not to date, and they can't tell ME likewise...got it?

Your partuicular issue is floating in and out of here like some kid on a sugar rush, whining about 'neener-neener-neener! Yer mad and I DON'T CARE!' as if that's going to mean a bag of fresh horse apples to anyone besides yourself...

So, you go on and keep trying to decide between Betty and Veronica, and let those of us who want to discuss the issue carry on in peace, and know that your 'not caring' won't make anyone here give a crap on a cold December morning
it does mean something to you if you keep arguing the point boo-yah! and it seems like ur telling me what to do but no worries ill let u keep i have to buy a bag of fresh horse apples so i can make cinnamon apple sauce for betty and veronica

Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,679,900 times
Lightbulb LOL...Just So You Know, Mr Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheosis2012 View Post
it does mean something to you if you keep arguing the point boo-yah! and it seems like ur telling me what to do but no worries ill let u keep i have to buy a bag of fresh horse apples so i can make cinnamon apple sauce for betty and veronica
'Horse apples' is another slang term/euphimism for horse s**t...I am done here, because like I said, I'm not trying to hijack the thread from those who want to discuss thoughtfully, and I'm not going to waste time arguing with someone whose idea of fun is bellowing about how much they don't care, and how many useless emoticons and bold type they can use...

Mr Spock, you have the bridge...Catfish out

Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM

72 posts, read 87,614 times
i know what 'horse-apples' means lolololol, my sarcasm went over ur head. thx for giving me the bridge. i will now drive my lamborghini across it

Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM

460 posts, read 671,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I agree, however, many people just don't "get it" in regards to this topic. Many feel a preference is just a preference, but fail to realize that preferences (in terms of potential dating partners) often have a very sizeable racial component that many people refuse to acknowledge.
As long as it's not institutional, I fail to see the problem. I won't date blue eyed men but my sister will. My brother won't date blonde women but his friend will. In that case, everyone gets some love. (all scenarios fabricated)

We can roboticize people and make them not have personal preferences. Is it less than ideal? Of course. It would be great if all men loved all women regardless of weight, race, ethnicity, class, etc, but that's just not human nature. (and vice versa for women)

Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,475,371 times
So thats where all my crack went! *uckin Hyenas!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,679,900 times
Lightbulb LOL LOL LOL Captain Dan!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
So thats where all my crack went! *uckin Hyenas!!!!!!!!!!
LOL...sorry to malign hyenas like that, but I usually just flow with what I've got when I post...

And I told ol' Junior I was done with him, and now he's having delusions about Lamborghinis and bridges...some kids never learn

Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Please stop talking about "the media" because according to "the media" I am supposed to be an uneducated welfare mom with 50 kids and smoking crack.

If you are paralyzed by what "the media" says then you will NEVER be able to achieve all of the sucesses that life offers.

I "get" where you are coming from but I refuse to "go there". When you allow yourself to "go there", you are not able to acknowledge your own unique beauty. Black beauty is NOT defined by the types of women that rappers put in their videos. It is not defined by the number of magazine covers that Black women get every month. It is not defined by random comments from people you get their "jollies" by bashing "others".

You need to find the ability to embrace yourself. You need to allow yourself to accept the compliments and "dark chocolate" love that many have already expressed to you.

Please do some soul searching.
i agree.
how can we compel people to realize that i am in fact an irresistible hottie?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-30-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,729,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's something I can't get over because everytime I turn on the television (reality shows feature mostly lightskin black women that its sickening), look in magazines or go online everyone supports the notion that mixed/lighter,etc woemn are more attractive. I don't even watch nearly as much tv as I used to because i got sick of all the images of lightskin black women being featured on tv all the time. I feel like i don't matter or exist. Not only that but now people are claiming that more and more black people are mixed with different races which makes me feel even more excluded. I don't think moving to a different location will help
Dark skinned black women aren't the only ones who are mostly excluded in the media. In fact, I'm about as opposite from a dark skinned black woman as possible (male, very very light skin, very very blond hair) and people like me aren't portrayed very often in the media, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Surprised, it was a popular look for quite a few people at my preppy school It is really bad for the under 25 set. I don't even know if I have even seen a non baggy pants male until the hipsters started showing up.

Backwards pants on the other hand......
It seemed to really start catching on with the kids a little younger than me (I'm 33, btw). But that could have been mostly due to my region of the country at the time.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

I've also met a lot of other Black families that are proud of their heritage and complexion and so on. The kids I babysit have been taught by their mother that they are beautiful just the way they are. They read a lot of Afro-centric books at home to balance out the Euro-centric culture at their school (they're the only Black kids in the whole school). Even with a positive and validating attitude from their mother, they heard comments about their features at school that made them question their beauty. It took a lot of conscious effort on their mother's part to help balance out those comments. Now that she's made that concerted effort to send them a positive message, they are more confident in their looks.
To be completely honest, I was completely unaware of the whole "colorism" thing growing up in white neighborhoods and white schools. There were only a couple other black kids in my school. The other 2 in my class were mixed. Eventually we got a few more via bussing. Did not know about the whole paper bag test and everything until I moved to the South and my school had a good number of African-Americans. That was when my parents started talking to me about the whole dark skin/light skin thing. My dad is pretty light. My mom is dark. I am between the two and a little lighter than my mom. My sister is also between and a little lighter than I am. On my mom's side, mostly everyone is around my mom's tone or mine (chocolate). My dad's side has huge variation in tone, but the hierarchy in his family stems from whoever migrated north and the ones who staying in the "country," not color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.