Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 06:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Are all paper bags the same color? (I'm genuinely asking.)
Oddly almost always. It is strange. Unless they are holiday themed. Occasionally there is a white bag. But mostly they are this unbleached brown color. I think recycled ones are half a shade darker.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
But many obviously ARE mixed! How did it happen then?
Everyone knows something happened, it isn't spoken about. For example, my grandmother (she was born in 1917) was fairly light, had green eyes and wavy hair (Sarah Jessica Parker texture). Guess what, no one said a word, I asked my dad about it and he said no one talked about this at all. Obviously my grandmother was mixed with something, but what ever it is didn't matter because according to society she was black. There was no special treatment for her.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Everyone knows something happened, it isn't spoken about. For example, my grandmother (she was born in 1917) was fairly light, had green eyes and wavy hair (Sarah Jessica Parker texture). Guess what, no one said a word, I asked my dad about it and he said no one talked about this at all. Obviously my grandmother was mixed with something, but what ever it is didn't matter because according to society she was black. There was no special treatment for her.
I wasn't talking about the treatment. I just don't understand how it happened on such a scale if interracial marriages were truly illegal... There are too many mixed people. They can't all be products of rape, infidelity, or children of single mothers...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about the treatment. I just don't understand how it happened on such a scale if interracial marriages were truly illegal... There are too many mixed people. They can't all be products of rape, infidelity, or children of single mothers...
During the period in American history when slavery was legal, slaves were obviously considered property. Slave owners could do what they wanted to do with their property. Many slave owners would visit the slave quarters at night and have sex with whom so ever they desired. There were some instances where slave masters had slave mistresses (or lovers) but mostly White slave masters just had sex randomly with their "property".

After the end of slavery, Black women were still at the mercy of random White men who desired to have sex with them. Black women/girls were often raped by the men in the homes in which they worked as domestic servants (as was the case with Strom Thurmond in which a child was conceived). Other mixed race offspring came about from common law type relationships between White men and Black women who were commited but could not marry (as was the case with Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings)

Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
During the period in American history when slavery was legal, slaves were obviously considered property. Slave owners could do what they wanted to do with their property. Many slave owners would visit the slave quarters at night and have sex with whom so ever they desired. There were some instances where slave masters had slave mistresses (or lovers) but mostly White slave masters just had sex randomly with their "property".
I know that was happening, of course, but I didn't realize it was happening to that large extent.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
I know that was happening, of course, but I didn't realize it was happening to that large extent.
Thomas Jefferson had a slave that was practically his mistress.... it happened big time.

Otherwise we wouldn't have so many light skinned blacks.....

Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
when you were? you aren't deaf and blind anymore?
Still blind, no longer deaf. My deafness was reversible. You can imagine how awkward people are around deaf blind people cause they have no idea how to communicate with a deaf blind person.

Point is, people will always find ways to categorize people. Some people will never get over their categories, and there isn't much any of us can do about it, whether it's about skin complexion or something else.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Where do you think all the mixed people came from? Especially 1/4, 1/8 etc. That has to go back more than one generation.

Which also shows that even when "Black" was socially undesirable, people still found themselves attracted to darker women. Even if a lot of mixed people were a result of rape, why didn't the slave masters rape white women? There must have been some element of preference there.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Sexual exploitation as a factor of the American slave trade is rarely discussed in blatant terms but all one has to do is look at America's Black population to see the remnants of what really when on during those periods.

Even as recent as the 1930s, White men in the South could sexually assault a Black woman and suffer no consequences. There is a story in my family history (early 1900s) were a White man raped the wife of one my ancestors and he was murdered. The Klan took revenge and killed another relative because they couldn't find the one who murdered the White man.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Where do you think all the mixed people came from? Especially 1/4, 1/8 etc. That has to go back more than one generation.
Well, as I said, I wasn't sure. There have been quite a few generations since slavery was abolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships