Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
this is ridiculous and I hope you never have a 'black' nephew...on one account people say 'stop being so hung up on skin tone' and then a post like this, LOL. Demonstrates that people DO see differences in skin tones regardless how much they claim they don't to be PC... I have TONS of biracial cousins (thanks to black men and white women!) that look nothing like me -- but we are still related and I don't think any less of them for this.
True. Genetics can be unpredictable at times. Mariah Carey looks more like her White side than Black & she's biracial. Same thing with Quincy Jones kids. Not sure about Michael Jackson's children but they are supposed to be biracial and they look White. So I call BS

Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You know in many areas of the country WM/BF relationships are nonexistent and therfore are statistically insignificant. I work all over the Western US and depending on where your are at its relatively small compared to BM/WF pairing. Unless it's already a highly mixed area of other mixed ethnic groups, WM/BF couples are fairly rare.
Well, they said during slavery there was a lot of genuine relationships between WM and BW so what happened? Also, in Brazil WM commonly reproduced with BW which is why they are so mixed.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I can understand why parents wouldn't like it if their kid dated someone of another race, especially if they have dark skin because any babies they had would look nothing like anyone in their family. I'm not racist but If my nephew was Black I wouldn't feel like he was related to me even if I knew it was my brothers' kid...

Maybe that's why White people are more apprehensive about race mixing, cause our physical features are recessive as opposed to blacks and other races.
This is not necessarily true.

Actress Victoria Rowell and her daughter

Eartha Kitt with aher daughter and granddaughter

Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
You know in many areas of the country WM/BF relationships are nonexistent and therfore are statistically insignificant. I work all over the Western US and depending on where your are at its relatively small compared to BM/WF pairing. Unless it's already a highly mixed area of other mixed ethnic groups, WM/BF couples are fairly rare.
I've gone up and down the east coast and it's pretty much the same. I think I've heard about it online more than I've actually ever witnessed it myself.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 PM

349 posts, read 459,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I can understand why parents wouldn't like it if their kid dated someone of another race, especially if they have dark skin because any babies they had would look nothing like anyone in their family. I'm not racist but If my nephew was Black I wouldn't feel like he was related to me even if I knew it was my brothers' kid...

Maybe that's why White people are more apprehensive about race mixing, cause our physical features are recessive as opposed to blacks and other races.
Pure nonsense. Why does your nephew need to look like you? Aren't the children really supposed to look like the parents and have their features? Skin color is not the only factor that can determine whether or not two or more people are related. Even among siblings in large families you will find those that do not look like each other despite being of the same race and from the same two parents.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
To be honest, I think that one of the reasons that BM/WF relationships are more common is because for many (not all, but some) Black men the mere fact that the woman is White is the attraction.

When WM/BW pair up, they are usually more equal in terms of education, profession, socioeconomic status. However, you will see plenty Black men (of various socioeconomic backgrounds) with fat White women, unkept White women, poorly educated White women, White women who are in low-skilled jobs, etc. But the standard is usually much higher regarding the types of Black women that a White man will date.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is not necessarily true.

Actress Victoria Rowell and her daughter

Eartha Kitt with aher daughter and granddaughter

Another example would be Paula Patton and Robin Thicke, her son is very very light and doesn't look black at all. All of these women (including Paula) are biracial, this may be why their children look white and don't have black features.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I think that one of the reasons that BM/WF relationships are more common is because for many (not all, but some) Black men the mere fact that the woman is White is the attraction.

When WM/BW pair up, they are usually more equal in terms of education, profession, socioeconomic status. However, you will see plenty Black men (of various socioeconomic backgrounds) with fat White women, unkept White women, poorly educated White women, White women who are in low-skilled jobs, etc. But the standard is usually much higher regarding the types of Black women that a White man will date.
I have seen this and I agree.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,162 times
Quote:

what is the financial, educational status of these black men dating the undesirable white women?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM

460 posts, read 671,844 times
Not that it matters but I'm not sure white features are recessive. Skin color and eye color probably is. The biracial children tend to come out a lighter shade of brown in my experience but still not "white." However, the babies I have seen often have features that are considered to be more "white" in nature. I know it's cliche, so I even hesitate to say it, but I think they're extremely beautiful children.

My husband is half Sicilian (I'm sure there is plenty of African genes mixed in with Italian and Greek and goodness knows what else on that island) and very olive skinned with dark eyes. Both my boys have dark eyes. My older son has dark olive skin like his dad and could be his clone. My younger has lighter skin (not pale) and resembles me. Neither child inherited the Italian nose the runs so prominently on my MIL's side. They got a more anglo nose from my side. In any event, who the heck cares. Genetics are a complete roll of the dice. Find someone you love enough to make a baby and make a baby. If you choose your partner based on the superficial traits you want passed to your children, then you deserve to get the most butt-ugly recessive traits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships