Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM

258 posts, read 160,077 times

Advertisements

I've been looking on the Relationship forums for a while and i keep seeing this.
People that aren't allowed to see or get grief for seeing their opposite sex freinds from their new partners.

Why? If your in a relationship shouldn't it be based on trust? If you don't trust them to see their freinds don't have a relationship with them.

If your in a relationship and your partner doesn't want you to see your freinds then they don't trust you so end it.

It's a relationship, you haven't suddenly become 7yrs old and need to let your Mum choose your freinds.

What are your thoughts and why do people put up with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Pfft....

I trust that my s.o. knows better than to go hang out with random chicks who can't be trusted.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
I've been looking on the Relationship forums for a while and i keep seeing this.
People that aren't allowed to see or get grief for seeing their opposite sex freinds from their new partners.

Why? If your in a relationship shouldn't it be based on trust? If you don't trust them to see their freinds don't have a relationship with them.

If your in a relationship and your partner doesn't want you to see your freinds then they don't trust you so end it.

It's a relationship, you haven't suddenly become 7yrs old and need to let your Mum choose your freinds.

What are your thoughts and why do people put up with it?
I don't have any lady friends, so they don't have to worry about it.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
There is a fine line here...

Opposite sex "friends" always has the potential to turn into something more given the right conditions.

Therefore, when in a committed relationship or married, anyone with opposite sex friends should be smart about when, where, and how long you hang out with your friends. At least IMO. Doesn't mean you cannot have them, but some environments or situations would be inappropriate.

Sure, relationships are based on trust. You should trust your spouse/significant other. However, that does not mean you must blindly trust them either. If your SO is always wanting to go hang out with an opposite sex "friend" it could damage that trust, whether or not something is going on.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Whoever told me that would be told to go pound sand

Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Whoever told me that would be told to go pound sand

Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I'm sorry, but things are different when you're married or in a serious relationship. Things you did when you were single may no longer be appropriate and that's just the way it is. I don't have an issue if my SO has female friends, but I wouldn't want them hanging out alone all the time and she had better make an effort to get to know me too. I also see a difference between a friend someone has known for a really long and before I came into the picture and someone he suddenly became good friends with at work and wants to hang out with all the time now.

I wouldn't tell my SO he wasn't allowed to do something. I'm not his mom. But if he cares about me, then he should absolutely within reason make sure that I feel comfortable with his female friendships.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
If I can safely introduce the male friend to my partner, then I feel I should be able to spend time with him apart from my relationship
If I cannot, what does that say?? Basically, there would be some reason I would not feel safe with the two meeting. Hmmm...why might that be?

It's in the intent of the "friendship."

Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
But if he cares about me, then he should absolutely within reason make sure that I feel comfortable with his female friendships.
And naturally you would do the same so he would feel comfortable with your male freinds? Then all is good.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
I hang out with women from work but it is usually in a group situation. My wife actually attends these outings on a occasion. We have an understand with each other and the trust level is strong. Now if a woman that I was friends with asked me to go have a drink just with the two of us I would not do it. That to me is kind of crossing the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships