Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 01:50 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

BF... I still think you have some type of problem with your Stereotyping men and women of the south. There is a huge mix here even more so than the Boston area (my son is there)

Maybe why you'll never understand white southern girls is because you have all these wrong ideas of the people. Just like in the north there is a very diverse culture and you seem to want to lump them all together.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM

639 posts, read 828,224 times
Southern chicks are hot

Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Quote:
Definitely. As a male newcomer to the south, pretty much everything you do will be seen as trying too hard.
LOL. Yes! Exactly. Having to compete hard in Boston, coming down to the South, standards are pretty lax. Everything I did to just look good was trying to hard to the gals at first down here. I got more attention from wearing a tight tee than I did with a blazer and button up shirt.

It's just culture shock, and culture plays a big role in the South. Almost too much if you ask me.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
BF... I still think you have some type of problem with your Stereotyping men and women of the south. There is a huge mix here even more so than the Boston area (my son is there)

Maybe why you'll never understand white southern girls is because you have all these wrong ideas of the people. Just like in the north there is a very diverse culture and you seem to want to lump them all together.
Rakin, it's not about stereotyping if I keep telling you that its a select group of middle class girls that were raised in the outskirts of town and go into town with their traditional mindsets. It's not all white southern girls!

It's just a culture thing. Much like how some Northern girls want that blue collar muscled up guy. It's diverse, I know. I am not dumb to think this is a staple of the South, but c'mon, how can you tell me that you have noticed this yourself?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Rakin, it's not about stereotyping if I keep telling you that its a select group of middle class girls that were raised in the outskirts of town and go into town with their traditional mindsets. It's not all white southern girls!

It's just a culture thing. Much like how some Northern girls want that blue collar muscled up guy. It's diverse, I know. I am not dumb to think this is a staple of the South, but c'mon, how can you tell me that you have noticed this yourself?
Rakin is in DFW metroplex, a very cosmopolitan area, so he may not agree. Some would argue Texas isn't even "Southern" and its own entity, or at least a mix of Southern/"Western"

Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
LOL. Yes! Exactly. Having to compete hard in Boston, coming down to the South, standards are pretty lax. Everything I did to just look good was trying to hard to the gals at first down here. I got more attention from wearing a tight tee than I did with a blazer and button up shirt.

It's just culture shock, and culture plays a big role in the South. Almost too much if you ask me.
Well, flip the script, look at it differently.

You're in the south ; why should the trends of Boston, or New York, define what's popular here?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
Rakin is in DFW metroplex, a very cosmopolitan area, so he may not agree. Some would argue Texas isn't even "Southern" and its own entity, or at least a mix of Southern/"Western"
Texas really isn't Southern, as in the sense that really super preppy dandies Sperry top-siders, green polos with blue shorts are all that liked either. I am talking about frat boys from 'Bama or Old Miss.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Texas really isn't Southern, as in the sense that really super preppy dandies Sperry top-siders, green polos with blue shorts are all that liked either. I am talking about frat boys from 'Bama or Old Miss.
your OP applies more to boondocks areas. Even WITHIN the South, there is a difference between dating in Buckhead vs Moonshine County

Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm of the opinion that:
a. southern culture glorifies the rural
b. "metro southern area", culturally speaking, is an oxymoron.
Quote:
Yes, as much as people do not want to admit here, racism does play a small part. They might think of it as their "preference" for white guys because that's what they're used to, but in reality it comes with not wanting the undue stress of bringing an ethnic guy home to the parents. This much is true.

It's a culture thing too. If the guy is not "manly" in the sense that he doesn't drive a truck, has a country swagger, an accent yet is a "gentleman", then you're not going to win over them.

I'm a Yankee, Greek Mediterranean looking yippie (hippie + yuppie) and I've indulged the more liberal minded southern gals, but even then it would never get to a serious level because of family.

I am talking about the type of gals that love Pat Green, can work in the city but would never want to live there, drink beer, have a traditional more conservative mindset, love to get on the boat and take a pic with a cowboy hat and a beer in the other hand. You guys know the type.
Quote:
Le Roi is bringing down the house, I love it. Spot on analysis.

Yes, Southern guys tend to be pretty out of shape compared to Northern fellas. They also tend to be less stylish and more prideful about their faults. I guess this is their charm. Not all are like this but there tends to be more of the type.

Racism is as much a part of it as any factor, not because of the girls being racist themselves, but because of social norms.

Culture, Southern culture, is a pride issue and dating anything less than a good ol' boy is like settling for less than a man.

You guys crack me up.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
White southern women are some of the prettiest women on the planet, yet nine times out of ten the guys they date tend to look average. What is up with that? A lot of northern girls like that upscale yuppie look or the beefy Jersey Shore type depending on their class.

I know tons of gorgeous southern gals that date guys with bellies, receding hairlines, average looks, etc. Some of them shun a guy if he looks too "pretty", i.e. well groomed.

Is it a case of finding a guy that reminds them of their father? Sometimes I've noticed that they will by pass an attractive ethnic guy for a shabby white guy? Is this because they tended to be raised in households where the father told them to bring only good ol' white boys home?

This might be a sensitive subject for the southern gals in here, but it's something I've noticed a lot, moving down to the South.
Southern girls like the guys with buzz cuts or shaved heads or have long greasy hair in a pony tail, the ones that guzzle plenty of Bud Light, ride Harleys, go huntin', and enjoy pleasurable things like flaming their farts with a lighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships