Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM

52,246 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If she was a good catch, I should already sense it and not have her self-proclaim to me she is a good catch.

Yeah, I agree.

It sorta reminds me of that bit Chris Rocks does where he brags about not getting arrest.

Duh

You're not supposed to get arrested, braggin about crap you supposed to do anyway.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
If a beautiful girl tells you she's beautiful, she's already disqualified as attractive?
Actually, yes, going with a broad definition of "attractive". I consider it an immediate turn-off in women, unless I get the sense with no doubt that she is joking around (rare). In my experience, women who say "I'm so beautiful" are actually really unpleasant to be around.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
Well a woman who is obnoxious about her good looks is obviously annoying.

But most really beautiful women aren't oblivious to their beauty, just like a woman who is a good catch.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
If a beautiful girl tells you she's beautiful, she's already disqualified as attractive?

I sense some bitterness emanating from you.
I'm not even going to lie that I am a little bitter. But I try to live by the creed "don't talk about it, be about it." If you have to tell me that you are attractive (or you think you are attractive), that is a red flag. Let your presence tell me you are beautiful and attractive not your mouth.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:

I sense some bitterness emanating from you.
A truly beautiful women doesn't have to go around telling people she's beautiful. Trust me, she knows she's beautiful. It's the same thing as a women who is truly a "catch", she dosn't have to a say anything. If she's truly a catch then some man will snatch her up quickly. But if she has to go around telling everybody then she's either perpetrating a fraud, or trying to boost her low self esteem.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If she was a good catch, I should already sense it and not have her self-proclaim to me she is a good catch.
I may be mistaken, but I dont think the OP said she proclaimed she was a good catch but that she thinks she is. We dont know how or if this was verbally expressed.

I agree it is a big turn off for anyone to just proclaim why they are a good catch, but if the question were posed then I dont see a problem.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I went out with a lady that I met on OKC on Friday night. We had a great conversation.

What got me was, she thinks she's a good catch because she: owns a home, has a job and keeps her hair and nails done.

I find a lot of women think "things" are what entitles them to being a "good catch"

Most guys don't care about that.

We pretty much focus on 2 things: Are you "attractive" to us and are you a "cool person".

Everything else is somewhat minor. As it relates to jobs/title, as long as you can take care of yourself without doing anything illegal, that's all that matters.

Your thoughts?
Coming back to the original post, and I don't see that the OP has updated since all of our comments... we don't know if this woman announced if she was a good catch (which we all seem to agree is lame), or shared some positive attributes about her life that the OP is criticizing for whatever reason.

I also think the majority of us realize that attractive and "cool" don't get you very far in life for very long, if what you're looking for is a LTR/marriage. Successful relationships are built from who a person is, not how they appear and how popular they are. Adult life isn't like high school was.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I may be mistaken, but I dont think the OP said she proclaimed she was a good catch but that she thinks she is. We dont know how or if this was verbally expressed.

I agree it is a big turn off for anyone to just proclaim why they are a good catch, but if the question were posed then I dont see a problem.
That I agree with, and I think that is why there is so much discussion about this. We don't know if she just said it or if she was asked. If she was asked by the OP what makes her a great catch, then yes those are great qualities to have, and I am sure she has other qualities that will make her compatible with someone else.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Men's priorities are just different - it is what it is. While I have a house and a stable job, I know for a fact that's not what will ever make me a "catch." In fact, the house can be more of a problem should something ever develop with somebody. It's like the recipe for getting married - buy a 1BR condo and the love of your life is soon to follow. Tough luck if you bought it in a shi*tty market.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Men's priorities are just different - it is what it is. While I have a house and a stable job, I know for a fact that's not what will ever make me a "catch." In fact, the house can be more of a problem should something ever develop with somebody. It's like the recipe for getting married - buy a 1BR condo and the love of your life is soon to follow. Tough luck if you bought it in a shi*tty market.
I think that difference is something that has been molded by society. Now society is changing and in general men are realizing the importance of finding a woman with a good employment background or the potential for one. The days are numbered for the ability of one person to support a household on a permanent basis.
As has been said, its not so much owning a house but that you have the ability to have a stable residence. This shows you can manage money and pay your bills.

There seems to be pleanty men that dont value these things in a mate. They are all about beauty and hottness (along with other qualities of course, most of the time). And it seems these are the same type men who complain once they are divorced, or even complain if they havent yet married or divorced, how their hot wife just got bored one day and.......you know the rest of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships