Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I would not be a scientist if not for feminism. It was the sacrifice and fight of feminists in the past that allowed me to do what I'm doing today. I would not have my husband or life without it either. It provided opportunity, huge opportunity. It's not that complicated to figure, but a person does need to value and employ awareness.
There were women doctors before you were born. I don't think that 50:50 enrollments in technical and professional education is the result of feminism. The problem is that, in the past, from what I've heard, is that women were pushed into certain occupations. Those who wanted more blazed a trail for THEMSELVES. They just applied, got in, did their studies, and then got a job.

Come to think of it, you've derailed this thread. You've tilted it over to feminism. The original question was "is there a bitchy look?"

Since we have all heard "looks bitchy" as long as we've heard the "root" word, then the look, as collectively observed, exists.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There were women doctors before you were born. I don't think that 50:50 enrollments in technical and professional education is the result of feminism.
Do you really have any idea about anything feminism? You've never spent a minute reading an article on women's issues, the past, historical trials for women. You're just pulling your opinions out of the air.

Of course equal enrollment is due to feminism. It's due to the social changes resulting from feminism. Do you think it's just a big coincidence that women's rights preceded close to equal enrollment?

Quote:
The problem is that, in the past, from what I've heard, is that women were pushed into certain occupations. Those who wanted more blazed a trail for THEMSELVES. They just applied, got in, did their studies, and then got a job.
Women, especially in the past, were told that they were not as smart as men, not as mechanically inclined as men, did not have a head for math/science, were simply deficient compared to men. That kind of rhetoric is still prevalent today. Even on this forum.

Quote:
Come to think of it, you've derailed this thread. You've tilted it over to feminism. The original question was "is there a bitchy look?"

Since we have all heard "looks bitchy" as long as we've heard the "root" word, then the look, as collectively observed, exists.
You brought feminism into this thread, so don't try to pass along your cowardly blame to me.

On to what I think looks b*tchy. An overweight, never married, middle-aged male office jockey. I just don't trust the look of them.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM

541 posts, read 940,916 times
Yes, the guy that this aura about him makes him look unapproachable

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
On to what I think looks b*tchy. An overweight, never married, middle-aged male office jockey. I just don't trust the look of them.
No one has ever called me overweight. No one has ever called me an office jockey. I assume that's a schemer or water cooler type. Quite the opposite.
And if that seems bitchy to you, then you must project a butchy vibe when you ride MBTA. Your personal attacks are demerits against any credibility derived from your scientific "prowess."

Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Lol Yep. One whom scowls, scrunches her face" As if", rolls her eyes, raises the eyebrow in disgust, and stares you down.

I have a friendly face, but yes I can be tough and stubborn. Hence getting the Queen B title here and there.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As for a "bitchy" look, my cousin is the perfect example. She's extremely high maintenance, never leaves the house without a ton of makeup and perfect clothes and always has a stuck up look on her face. In reality, she's a pretty nice girl, but you do have to get past the arrogant, bitchy, just-plain-mean demeanor to get to that point.
There are a lot of guys who don't want to get to that point. They don't view it as a "feather in their cap." But I can visualize the type. There was a company/firm on another floor above ours. The office manager looked like a cross between a young Joanne Woodward and a dominatrix. I once made a comment to a friend that "Sex with Sheri was meant to hurt." You would see her strut to her car or on the elevator with that same attitude. One time, I had to go up there for business purposes. She was indeed a biotch. Furthermore, we once saw her husband. He had no chin. Predictable.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There are a lot of guys who don't want to get to that point. They don't view it as a "feather in their cap." But I can visualize the type. There was a company/firm on another floor above ours. The office manager looked like a cross between a young Joanne Woodward and a dominatrix. I once made a comment to a friend that "Sex with Sheri was meant to hurt." You would see her strut to her car or on the elevator with that same attitude. One time, I had to go up there for business purposes. She was indeed a biotch. Furthermore, we once saw her husband. He had no chin. Predictable.
There are, but she never has a problem with men. In fact, she usually dates several at a time and they're all really good guys, too. She has so many issues (ex heroin/oxycontin addict, in and out of rehab, bulemic/anorexic with a drinking problem etc.) and is never ever hurting to find a good man to take care of her.

I, on the other hand, have no issues, don't do drugs, support myself and am generally a very happy person and I really have to work for even a date.

Men are weird.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
I don't think feminism or misogyny have anything to do with it. "Beyotch" is to women what "douchebag" is to men. I'd also remind the sanctimonious that the term for women derives from the perfectly acceptable word for female dog. As such, it is no worse than calling a man an ass.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I don't think feminism or misogyny have anything to do with it. "Beyotch" is to women what "douchebag" is to men. I'd also remind the sanctimonious that the term for women derives from the perfectly acceptable word for female dog. As such, it is no worse than calling a man an ass.
The enlightened and balanced women are starting to show up.

It was funny when I told relatives in Italy that "douche bag" is a popular insult in America, and that it could be aimed at a man. Since it contains the French word douche, I thought they knew what it was. When we looked it up on the on-line dictionary, the translation was "irrigatore vaginale." They thought it was funny, but found it kind of weird.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,325 times
I think of looking bitchy as having a very non expressive face, like someone who barely smiles or someone you'd find it odd to see smiling. I don't think they are bitchy in real life but Bea Arthur and Holland Taylor are 2 actresses who played rude pushy women throughout their careers. They both also have very proper haughty sounding voices and that adds a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.