Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Neither is the 4th Ave fair for anti-abortion demonstrations, but the idiots are everywhere. Last time I went they weren't there, though. Hopefully somebody cleaned their stupid asses off!

ahhh I heard about that! how disgusting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I keep seeing people sharing pictures of people in very sad situations. I understand making awareness of bad things that happen in the world but straight up posting graphic pictures of the result?? my stomach is hurting from it all.

I just saw 2 pictures posted of newborn babies that look so sick that they're about to die. It made me wanna puke. its sad but why do we need to see such awful things like that on a social networking site, meant for keeping in touch with those far away? Not only that, I find it offensive. I'm a member of an autism "cause" (best friends brother is Autistic) but they don't post pictures of them in very unflattering situations. Its just raising awareness...which I think is fine.

Another picture I've been seeing is a Marine who's face is completely blown off and he's standing next to what appears to be his bride and she just looks shocked and angry that her husband came home looking like a mutant. That's something we do not need to be seeing. Yes that happens and we all know it but its just awful to have a visual of it. I hope I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm about to write facebook and ask to take these types of photos down.

First, unless the babies are sick, with tubes running in them in the NICU, it's a subjective call on your part. They may just be premature or small. Sorry if that offends your tender sensibilities, but they're beautiful to their parents. Indeed, even if they are at death's door, they are beautiful to their parents, and it is utterly cruel of you to even suggest that they are offensive.

Second, who is to say what is and is not a "flattering" photo of a child with autism, or any other disability? Do you find photos of children with Down's Syndrome offensive? Pictures of children in wheelchairs? Pictures of Stephen Hawking? Who are you to be judge and jury and take "offense" at how they look?

Third, I believe I know the photo of the Marine you are talking about. It's a famous photo, one of [URL="http://www.ninaberman.com/marine-wedding"]a series done by photojournalist Nina Berman[/URL], and it won a World Press Photo Award in 2006.

The bottom line here, Mir, is that you are being not only priggish, but cruel. If you don't like looking at someone's photos, unsubscribe from their feed. Writing to Facebook about them is beyond ridiculous, oh she of the revoltingly filthy feet in her pictures.

Last edited by Yzette; 04-02-2012 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: corrected year

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Do you find photos of children with Down's Syndrome offensive? Pictures of children in wheelchairs? Pictures of Stephen Hawking?
You know, Yzette, I also know there are chidren with cleft palates, and I'm sure they're beautiful to their parents, but I do NOT need to see them in EVERY goddamn magazine I open!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Yzette, you completely misinterpreted what I'm saying. I don't see anything wrong with trying to make awareness of it (as I repeatedly said). I just think its offensive to those in the pictures to have their vulnerabilities all over fb like that. I am not put off by the sheer fact of what they're going through..I'm put off by the fact that people are sharing others misfortunes like its candy. If I was in a situation like that, I wouldn't want my picture all fb. I was born with lots of problems and my mother never would have dared to humiliate me like that, even though I was beautiful to her. Now, I don't know if these people are agreeing to this or what..but I wonder if they are.

As for the pic of the marine..great that it won an award but I can't imagine how he must feel to have to go through what he went through and then it posted all over facebook. Its one thing at some event meant to share that kind of thing..but on fb? really?

and, are you that obsessed with my dirty feet that was part of a stupid photoshoot over a year ago? its not a misfortune..its just dirt and I had to suck it up for the pics. I don't walk barefoot outdoors ever..taht was the only time I did it.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
You know, Yzette, I also know there are chidren with cleft palates, and I'm sure they're beautiful to their parents, but I do NOT need to see them in EVERY goddamn magazine I open!
Then don't buy magazines. Sweeping disfigurement and disability under the rug is tantamount to stigmatization. I find your comments a bit ironic, given your fondness for freedom of speech.

Quote:
Yzette, you completely misinterpreted what I'm saying. I don't see anything wrong with trying to make awareness of it (as I repeatedly said). I just think its offensive to those in the pictures to have their vulnerabilities all over fb like that. I am not put off by the sheer fact of what they're going through..I'm put off by the fact that people are sharing others misfortunes like its candy. If I was in a situation like that, I wouldn't want my picture all fb. I was born with lots of problems and my mother never would have dared to humiliate me like that, even though I was beautiful to her. Now, I don't know if these people are agreeing to this or what..but I wonder if they are.

As for the pic of the marine..great that it won an award but I can't imagine how he must feel to have to go through what he went through and then it posted all over facebook. Its one thing at some event meant to share that kind of thing..but on fb? really?

and, are you that obsessed with my dirty feet that was part of a stupid photoshoot over a year ago? its not a misfortune..its just dirt and I had to suck it up for the pics. I don't walk barefoot outdoors ever..taht was the only time I did it.
If someone puts their kid's photo on the internet where others can see it, obviously they don't have a problem with others viewing it.

The photo of the Marine has been published many places. The series is quite public. Indeed, that was its intent. The only problem with posting it on Facebook might be a copyright violation. That's about it. Honestly? You saying that a wounded veteran looks "like a mutant" is what's offensive. He was disfigured in combat. Show a little appreciation for those who are willing to make sacrifices that you aren't.

As for your feet, my point is that you are being a hypocrite. When I saw that photo, I was grossed out, yet you don't see me complaining to C-D to take it down.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I thought this was going to be a thread about people tagging their friends in ugly photos...lol

Now that would be offensive.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Then don't buy magazines. Sweeping disfigurement and disability under the rug is tantamount to stigmatization. I find your comments a bit ironic, given your fondness for freedom of speech.
I'm not talking about any sort of health magazines. These pictures are in EVERY TOTALLY unrelated magazine (like decor, for instance) and paper inserts. There is absolutely no reason for that.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
I'm about to write facebook and ask to take these types of photos down.

Hey can you ask them to get rid of the Timeline too, thanks..!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about any sort of health magazines. These pictures are in EVERY TOTALLY unrelated magazine (like decor, for instance) and paper inserts. There is absolutely no reason for that.
Thank you!! the point I'm making is, facebook is no the place for it!

LOL sorry my dirty feet offended you yzette...but at least I wasn't selling dirty feet as something to raise awareness about. Also calling the marine a "Mutant" was probably the wrong word. I meant disfigured. Its a hard picture for me to look at cause its just really sad. I have a lot of friends in the military and I'm sure they've seen that happen first hand. One of my friends in the army (who's had quite a few friends die in his arms and could have been that marine himself) totally agrees with me that that photo should not be on fb. He has more a right to be put off by it than me.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Hey can you ask them to get rid of the Timeline too, thanks..!
hahaha! I haven't changed my profile to that..I hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships